Packfanfb's "Post Holy **** We Traded Davante" Mock

packfanfb

Lots of comments to touch on so I'll try to hit all the main points here:

Watching MVS, I did see some where Rodgers overthrew. I also saw many incompletions where he was drifting away from the ball mid-air, which means either Rodgers didn't know/throw accurately to the route or MVS didn't run it right. If you have a QB with historically elite accuracy, but he's consistently missing only one guy, then we should at least discuss the possibility of MVS being part of the problem.

So at best he's proven to be inconsistent with the drops year to year. Not willing to bet much guaranteed money that his stone hands magically were cured after one low-opportunity season or that he can suddenly start tracking deep balls better.  Yard per reception is a cute stat when you have a completion percentage as low as his (and I know, deep throws have lower percentages, but damn).

Sometimes you gotta pull your head out of the numbers and see the actual plays on the field. The pundits tried to suggest he'd be sought after by a bunch of teams this offseason based on his hot nasty speed. Obviously that hasn't been the case since he's competing with a collection of has-beens for a contract offer. Rumor is he's down to looking at 1 year deals.

--------------

As for players who have the skill set to contribute right away, I definitely see that from Wilson, Williams, Olave, Pickens, Dotson, and Pierce. Not pro bowl play per say, but the kind of skill sets we need to create the balanced passing attack the offense is supposed to be based upon. Less confident in immediate consistency from guys like London, Burke's, Watson, Melchie, Bell and the other half dozen projected to all go within the first three rounds, but there will be some who surprise me and my amateur eye for scouting (and I like the long term potential for A LOT of them).

30 minutes ago, R T said:

I've read way too many of your post and know you are smarter then to think that is the WR room going to training camp no less the regular season. The 90-man TC roster will have 11 or 12 WR's, not 7 (you left out Blair and Gafford). The Packers are going to add several WR's in the next couple of months because that is what they do. Among those 4 or 5 will be a few keepers, so yes, all the panic is silly.     

29 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think anybody disagrees with that.

The WR panic is in reference to those that believe we need to break the bank in FA and draft a ton of guys. 

Can we agree that we could use one free agent, whomever that may be AND two drafted WR's, preferably before round 5?

I'm not about breaking the bank for any WR.  And I'm not saying it has to be someone who is currently "free".  

But man, Lazard needs help in the worst way right now.

30 minutes ago, Sandy said:

As for players who have the skill set to contribute right away, I definitely see that from Wilson, Williams, Olave, Pickens, Dotson, and Pierce. Not pro bowl play per say, but the kind of skill sets we need to create the balanced passing attack the offense is supposed to be based upon. Less confident in immediate consistency from guys like London, Burke's, Watson, Melchie, Bell and the other half dozen projected to all go within the first three rounds, but there will be some who surprise me and my amateur eye for scouting (and I like the long term potential for A LOT of them).

Just watched me some Burkes.  He sure looks like a better athlete on film than his combine numbers showed.  He have covid in Indy or something?

Austin (ND).  Haven't seen any film.  But he has the measureables I really like.  Good size/weight.  Speed is right there, 3-cone is silly good and so is the vertical.  He looks like a nice one to get a tick later in the draft.

Olave.  Oooh.  He good.  Looks like a cat playing with mice out there.  So confident.  So polished.  He's just not big.  Reminds me of Ceedee Lamb, but maybe faster.

Wilson.  Eeeeh.  Not sure how I feel about him.  He doesn't look smooth.  He looks like a lot of smaller, faster wide outs who never make it in the NFL.

Saw one play of London.  Convinced he will be our first pick.  

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Can we agree that we could use one free agent, whomever that may be AND two drafted WR's, preferably before round 5?

I'm not about breaking the bank for any WR.  And I'm not saying it has to be someone who is currently "free".  

But man, Lazard needs help in the worst way right now.

I think even that is a pretty wide range of options. 

Which Free Agent, and which two drafted WRs?

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think even that is a pretty wide range of options. 

Which Free Agent, and which two drafted WRs?

Oooh.  So it's my choice?  Me likey.

I'll take Julio Jones on a one year $4M deal with another $3M of incentives.

I'm drafting Olave with our second first round pick (after going EDGE or DL).

With our second, second round pick, I'll take Jameson Williams.  

Haven't seen enough of the other guys to know what I want.  I do like the athlete of the Austin kid from ND, but he's gotta be a third rounder or later.

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Oooh.  So it's my choice?  Me likey.

I'll take Julio Jones on a one year $4M deal with another $3M of incentives.

I'm drafting Olave with our second first round pick (after going EDGE or DL).

With our second, second round pick, I'll take Jameson Williams.  

Haven't seen enough of the other guys to know what I want.  I do like the athlete of the Austin kid from ND, but he's gotta be a third rounder or later.

Jameson Williams is going to go in the 1st round. I'd be shocked if a guy with that kind of raw speed lasted to pick 40 even.

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Go get Julio/Fuller/OBJ and spend one of the 2nds on Pickens, Watson, Pierce, Doubs, Bell, Moore or Tolbert.

That's where I'm at. One FA, one draft pick, but I'd like to save the firsts for DL, EDGE, OT, DB. Unless Olave makes it to 28.

So Olave's your top guy.
But - what about insuring you get him at 22 and following up with DL/EDGE/OT or DB at 28? That's a fail?

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm hoping one of the premium EDGE guys make it there, or Jordan Davis.

Alright.....but what if those premium guys are gone by time we're on the clock at 22.
Are the fall back options at EDGE/DL/OT & DB likely to be there at 28?

Edited by Leader

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Then I start drinking and don't really care who we pick.

Wait....dont drop out on me. We're getting somewhere.

Olave's designated the top WR - but 22's the trip wire. Okay. Got it.
- we're not moving up for him.
- we're not taking him should Davis (DL) or the top EDGE be available.

- does that also extend to the top OL & DB?
Would you take ANY of the other four positions at 22 over Olave?

How deep is the positional value (in your opinion) at EDGE & DL (and maybe OL/DB)

?

If your #1 guys at those positions are gone by 22 - is Olave a better value than the #2 EDGE / DL / OT or DB - who could be available at 28? Or is the drop off from 22 to 28 too great?

Your answer will give me insight into your perceived depth at these other positions.

Btw....you're gonna be drinking anyway :)

Edited by Leader

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm hoping one of the premium EDGE guys make it there, or Jordan Davis.

With Ojabo's injury, I simply don't see that happening. Hutch, Thib and Walker are probably gone before pick 10. That leaves Johnson and maybe Karlaftis. No way Johnson falls to 22. We'll have to wait and see how Karlaftis runs at his Pro Day, but who's left after that? Mafe would be next on the list. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

With Ojabo's injury, I simply don't see that happening. Hutch, Thib and Walker are probably gone before pick 10. That leaves Johnson and maybe Karlaftis. No way Johnson falls to 22. We'll have to wait and see how Karlaftis runs at his Pro Day, but who's left after that? Mafe would be next on the list. 

You trade up for Johnson.

Something like 28 + 53 for 14 and 196

Draft Johnson

Trade down, something like 22 for 38 and 69. 

Draft DeMarvil Leal at 38

Draft Phidarian Mathis at 59

Draft Ross at 69

Draft Tolbert at 92

Resign MVS and you have a WR group of Lazard/MVS/Ross/Tolbert/Cobb/Rodgers. 

You found your missing 60% of OLB snaps with Johnson.

You set yourself up to let Lowry walk next year and not completely fall apart on the DL. 

If you're completely WR paranoid, you can spend the #38 at WR, but when I was doing it, I was hitting a value valley for WR at 38. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You trade up for Johnson.

Something like 28 + 53 for 14 and 196

Draft Johnson

Trade down, something like 22 for 38 and 69. 

Draft DeMarvil Leal at 38

Draft Phidarian Mathis at 59

Draft Ross at 69

Draft Tolbert at 92

Resign MVS and you have a WR group of Lazard/MVS/Ross/Tolbert/Cobb/Rodgers. 

You found your missing 60% of OLB snaps with Johnson.

You set yourself up to let Lowry walk next year and not completely fall apart on the DL. 

If you're completely WR paranoid, you can spend the #38 at WR, but when I was doing it, I was hitting a value valley for WR at 38. 

In that scenario, I'm just staying at 22 and picking Olave. I'm perfectly fine giving up one of the 2nd rounders to land Johnson and Olave in the first. Use the remaining 2nd rounder on the best DL or OL available the then counter in the 3rd with the other. 

Edited by packfanfb