Falcons sign LB/Edge Lorenzo Carter

FalconFan13

On 3/22/2022 at 5:33 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Isn't he a 4-3 OLB? Not much of an Edge.

He's an "edge" guy.  Just in the form of a 3-4 OLB who is more of a versatile and "contain" sort of guy.  If you scheme up the pressures, he'll get some though.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 6:19 AM, Tugboat said:

He's an "edge" guy.  Just in the form of a 3-4 OLB who is more of a versatile and "contain" sort of guy.  If you scheme up the pressures, he'll get some though.

That's what Dean Pees does. He schemes up a lot of pressure looks. I think Carter might be better in Atlanta than he was in NY. I'd love to see him come in, ball out for like 8 sacks and a ton of good run defense and be the guy who rotates with the new draft pick til the new draft pick is ready to be the starter. Ade Ogundeji seems to be replacing Stephen Means in the plans this year and that should be an upgrade. Would love to see the Falcons bring in a guy like Clowney to be the primary pass rush guy. I'm ok if the Falcons have 4 guys with 6-8 sacks at the edge positions in a rotation vs. just 1 guy with 12+. I think a pass rush is more formidable that way.

7 hours ago, scar988 said:

That's what Dean Pees does. He schemes up a lot of pressure looks. I think Carter might be better in Atlanta than he was in NY. I'd love to see him come in, ball out for like 8 sacks and a ton of good run defense and be the guy who rotates with the new draft pick til the new draft pick is ready to be the starter. Ade Ogundeji seems to be replacing Stephen Means in the plans this year and that should be an upgrade. Would love to see the Falcons bring in a guy like Clowney to be the primary pass rush guy. I'm ok if the Falcons have 4 guys with 6-8 sacks at the edge positions in a rotation vs. just 1 guy with 12+. I think a pass rush is more formidable that way.

Heck, I would love if our pass rush had 1-2 guys with 2-3 sacks, it would be better than anything we had last year 😭 I joke to keep from crying, but for real 4 guys with 6 sacks is a pipe dream for the Falcons. I would love love love to see that though. Maybe one day see 2 guys with 8+ and 2 guys with 5+ that'd be amazing too. I miss Coleman, Abe and Kerney.

12 hours ago, iloxygenil said:

Heck, I would love if our pass rush had 1-2 guys with 2-3 sacks, it would be better than anything we had last year 😭 I joke to keep from crying, but for real 4 guys with 6 sacks is a pipe dream for the Falcons. I would love love love to see that though. Maybe one day see 2 guys with 8+ and 2 guys with 5+ that'd be amazing too. I miss Coleman, Abe and Kerney.

Well, I think Ogundeji could be a 5-7 sack guy. Carter seems the same. Maybe bring in Clowney on a 3 year deal and a high pick to be the big pass rushers. 

37 minutes ago, iloxygenil said:

I feel like AO is a 0-2 guy. I was not impressed. 

As a rookie, he got a sack. And he played good edge defense. And then teams started chipping him because he was the only competent pass rusher. Let’s see what he looks like with actual talent across from him. 

On 3/26/2022 at 1:41 PM, scar988 said:

I mean, 8 sacks sounds outside the realm of realistic possibility.  "Scheme up" guys don't tend to encroach on that near double-digit sack territory.  Occasionally it happens in magic situations, but i wouldn't count on it.

But maybe 6 sacks if schemed up right, and with the right surrounding personnel?  That's not outside the realm of possibility.  That doesn't seem entirely unrealistic to me.

I think that has to be the approach though.  If you don't have the bona fide studs who can win 1v1 consistently, you have to sort of bank on a collection of guys doing a group effort.  With half a dozen sacks each, to generate that pressure.  The problem with that...is that it's not always consistent pressure.  It might generate some results on paper, but it doesn't always create the sort of consistent pressure that really makes an opposing offense sweat and move things off schedule.  That's the weakness of the sort of "schemed up pressures" concept.

7 hours ago, scar988 said:

As a rookie, he got a sack. And he played good edge defense. And then teams started chipping him because he was the only competent pass rusher. Let’s see what he looks like with actual talent across from him. 

Pretty sure Jamaal Anderson got a sack as a rookie too... so...