Pre-Draft Post Season Thoughts

Just Want A Title

17 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I love to have a good rb, but I don't know if I want one before the end of the 2nd or 3rd with this roster.

I think we have a pretty good RB, and a pretty good backup.  And some young guys that flashed potential last year.  Not sure we have room for another and not sure any of the guys we have are bad enough to replace.  We have Swift through 2023 and Williams through this year. I wouldn't touch a RB until next draft TBH just because the resources dont match the benefit. I guess if Kenneth Walker is sitting there at 97 I would consider it to replace Williams but just doesnt seem worth it given the short careers of RBs.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Ok.  I wouldnt mind using 97 to move up from 32 a few picks and grabbing Devin Lloyd or if a top WR falls.  But wouldnt want to give up much.  

Where do you expect Hall to go? I have seen the top RBs all over the place. 

Unless an incredibly talented player falls close to the Lions at 32, I am not in favor or giving up any draft picks.  We have no 4th-round pick and only have a compensatory 5th-round pick.  The draft board should allow us to take impact players with with #2, #32, #34, and #66 without making any trades at all.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Unless an incredibly talented player falls close to the Lions at 32, I am not in favor or giving up any draft picks.  We have no 4th-round pick and only have a compensatory 5th-round pick.  The draft board should allow us to take impact players with with #2, #32, #34, and #66 without making any trades at all.  

Agreed, but I really like Lloyd and Jameson Williams/Drake London.  I wouldn't hate giving up 97 to move up if we could snag one of them.  Or if Jordan Davis falls to the 20s.  Quantity is good but if we can get more quality, I am all about it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Agreed, but I really like Lloyd and Jameson Williams/Drake London.  I wouldn't hate giving up 97 to move up if we could snag one of them.  Or if Jordan Davis falls to the 20s.  Quantity is good but if we can get more quality, I am all about it. 

#97 is basically a 4th. I'd like to keep it but if that's all you have to give up in order to get "your guy" I'm cool with it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else really sick of every mock giving us Pickett/Ridder/Corral at pick 32?  It feels lazy.  Like oh, i have heard they need a QB so lets just pick a random one there.  Unless WIllis falls to 32, I dont see us taking a QB.  These guys just arent as good as Goff, and thats not because I think Goff is good. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Anyone else really sick of every mock giving us Pickett/Ridder/Corral at pick 32?  It feels lazy.  Like oh, i have heard they need a QB so lets just pick a random one there.  Unless WIllis falls to 32, I dont see us taking a QB.  These guys just arent as good as Goff, and thats not because I think Goff is good. 

Yep. I think I'd rather see that though then Willis at 2.  That one feels worse to me.

36 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree 100%.  Assuming they get a blue-chop edge /DE at #2, pick 32 and 34 should be either safety or wide receiver.  Whichever of those positions isn't addressed at 32 should be addressed at #34.

28 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I understand it but I agree, it is lazy. If a team like the Panthers, who have pick #6 and then nothing else until round 4 or the Saints with two mid-round picks after their trade are all potential trade up partners for a QB in the top 5 this year, what would stop Detroit from being that team next year? 

Using the SB betting odds, here is our draft order including up to date 2023 1st round trades.

1 Houston Texans    +20000
2 New York Jets    +15000 > Zach Wilson
3 Atlanta Falcons    +15000
4 Detroit Lions    +15000
5 Jacksonville Jaguars    +13000 > Trevor Lawrence
6 Carolina Panthers    +10000
7 New York Giants    +10000
8 Chicago Bears    +10000 > Justin Fields
9 Seattle Seahawks    +10000
10 Washington Commanders    +6500
11 Pittsburgh Steelers    +6500
12 Philadelphia (via New Orleans Saints)   +5000
13 Philadelphia Eagles    +4500
14 New England Patriots    +4000 > Mac Jones
15 Minnesota Vikings    +4000
16 Las Vegas Raiders    +3500 > Derek Carr
17 Miami Dolphins    +3000
18 Tennessee Titans    +2800
19 Arizona Cardinals    +2500 > Kyler
20 Indianapolis Colts    +2200
21 Baltimore Ravens    +2200 > Lamar
22 Cincinnati Bengals    +1800 > Burrow
23 Houston (via Cleveland Browns)   +1700
24 Dallas Cowboys    +1700 > Dak
25 Seattle (via Denver Broncos)    +1600
26 Los Angeles Chargers    +1600 > Herbert
27 Miami (via San Francisco 49ers)    +1400
28 Detroit Lions (via) Los Angeles Rams    +1000
29 Green Bay Packers    +1000
30 Kansas City Chiefs    +1000 > Mahomes
31 Tampa Bay Buccaneers    +700

Buffalo Bills    +650 > Allen

Using these betting odds and accepting them at face value, the Lions will have another bad year and be in the top 5. We would certainly have the ammo to move up and grab one of the top QB's or stand put. 

There's 5 teams with 2+ 1st round picks who could be on the hunt for a QB: Houston, Seattle, Philadelphia, Miami and Detroit. 

Atlanta, Carolina, New York Giants and Washington are teams in the top 16 who could also be looking at a QB next year. That's 8 teams, excluding the Lions, with half of them having enough ammo to trade up in a big franchise changing move.

If the Lions prove to be  better team than projected and fall into pick #16 (and Rams stay at #28) we'd have enough draft capital to move up to pick #5 trading those picks alone and a 4th. 

Ultimately, the Lions haven't done enough to warrant a ton of attention and I absolutely have noticed how quickly things get flipped discussing our team compared to others. Maybe it's because we're boring or it's because they can't quite project what Campbell and Holmes would do. I have to imagine that our FO is looking at 2023 for our QBOTF unless someone like Malik drops to them at #32. Even so, with how he's being viewed, I have to imagine we could come back with future assets that would still justify moving off of that pick and not taking him. 

On 4/22/2022 at 1:42 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't know about the good as Goff part because we just don't know. My opinion is, at least one and probably no more than two out of the 5, are going to end up being good, but no one knows.

But I agree it's lazy to mock a QB just because of the fifth-year option thing. That's taking a guy just to take a guy, and I don't think Holmes will be that lazy. He might miss on the pick, but I don't think he'll just sleepwalk through it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I don't know about the good as Goff part because we just don't know. My opinion is, at least one and probably no more than two out of the 5, are going to end up being good, but no one knows.

But I agree it's lazy to mock a QB just because of the fifth-year option thing. That's taking a guy just to take a guy, and I don't think Holmes will be that lazy. He might miss on the pick, but I don't think he'll just sleepwalk through it.

Thats how I feel.  If they truly have a QB rated that high and he is BPA, they will take him.  But I doubt they reach for a guy who they have rated in the 60s at 32 just to get an extra year of control.  I don't know of anyone that has any of the QB's graded as BPA there, so it just seems like an unlikely pick.  We aren't a team without a QB, but could definitely use an upgrade if we feel one is there.  And I just don't see it with any of these guys aside from Willis but I also feel he has the biggest upside but also the biggest flop potential. I think these guys will all end up like Drew Stanton or maybe Andy Dalton at best and thats just not good enough to replace Goff with.  

• Like 1

I mean, if they draft a QB and he's good enough to be our starter, then he will be in 2 years. Goff will be gone and we'll pay this new guy. They probably won't leave him hanging for that fifth year anyway, when it comes time to pick up his option, if he's "the guy" then they will extend him instead.