Bears player appreciation thread

JAF-N72EX

I've noticed that everyone (but me ofcourse) seems to talk about the same things such as; the draft, how we have bad players, how awful they are, how bad the team is, etc.  And very rarely do we....I mean YOU guys....ever talk about the good players that we do have on the team and that's what this thread is for. 

Lets show some appreciation for players who you think are working their butts off and deserve some credit.

There's only 1 rule for this thread!  If you disagree with anything I have to say then....well, first of all your wrong....but you have to take it out on @Sugashane or @soulman and not me. Why? Because those are the rules and I don't follow them, I just make them.

I'll start.

Monty has turned out to be good find in the 3rd round and I don't think he gets nearly enough credit for everything he does on the field.  I've been re-watching Bears games and I have to admit that I haven't been giving him enough credit either. His growth over these last few years has been incredible.

I thought he was good after his rookie year, but I also thought he was just another Jordan Howard. A good in-between the tackle runner with no explosiveness and bad hands. Then he improved alot in his 2nd year and proved me wrong on the bad hands while also improving his pass blocking and showing his ability to shed tackles despite being hit before he even reached the line of scrimmage. Year 3 he played injured but also showed more improvements in almost all areas (I think he took a step back from year 2 in blocking but that could also be due to injuries).

He still don't have the explosiveness of a RB that most teams normally prefer but he makes up for it by being a solid, tough, well rounded player. I've often compared him to Leonard Fournette and Jordan Howard and I still think that's a fair comparison but I also think his ceiling is higher than those two as well if he can stay healthy.

We'll see.

• Like 1

Monty is 1 of only 28 RBs with 250+ touches in each of their first 3 seasons.

Out of curiosity I just wanted to see if other RBs still produced in year 4 after taking as many hits, or if they fell off. This was the results.

**Josh jacobs is another one but I didn't add him since he also entering his 4th year.**

List of RBs who still produced in year 4

1.    Ezekiel Elliott
2.    Todd Gurley
3.    Chris Johnson
4.    Matt Forte
5.    Adrian Peterson
6.    Willis McGahee
7.    Clinton Portis
8.    LaDainian Tomlinson
9.    Ricky Williams
10.    Warrick Dunn
11.    Corey Dillon
12.    Eddie George
13.    Terrell Davis
14.    Curtis Martin
15.    Marshall Faulk
16.    Emmitt Smith
17.    Barry Sanders
18.    Eric Dickerson
19.    William Andrews
20.    Earl Campbell

List of RBs who fell off in year 4

1.    Ottis Anderson
2.    Jordan Howard
3.    Alfred Morris
4.    Domanick Williams
5.    Karim Abdul-Jabbar
6.    Mike Thomas

If Monty stays healthy and doesn't fall off this year then he's in good company. I may even have to rethink opinion on him yet again. We'll see. We'll also see how herbert develops too since that plays a factor as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Monty has turned out to be good find in the 3rd round and I don't think he gets nearly enough credit for everything he does on the field.  I've been re-watching Bears games and I have to admit that I haven't been giving him enough credit either. His growth over these last few years has been incredible.

I'm a little hazy on the rules?

If I find myself agreeing with you on this do I still have to take it out on myself?  🤔

• Like 2

Monty is the best overall football player on the team all things considered.  

Peters was amazing in spurts, particularly because he is older and spent his offseason fishing and casually working out before being called to play.  

Had he been a Bear in his prime he would have been an eternal fan favorite and our best ever OT.  And we have had some good OTs.   I would bring him back, but I would have decided awhile ago to get him in shape.

I think Quinn’s season last year is massively under appreciated because people were so down on him for a year and a offseason and it was hard to switch gears. Also Bears overall we’re bad so it was hard to get excited about anything.

I think Fields is underrated nationally because of his situation.  I think he is a far better player than what he looked like in season.

Mooney is a fan favorite, because he is an over achiever and small, but people treating him like a number one are mistaken.

• Like 3

Love Montgomery, and always have a soft spot for the players who go the extra mile to improve like he did with his quickness and speed last year.   Seems like the Bears always have a player that makes you question the adage of "never pay running backs" don't they?  Also, remember when we thought that the Bears were a running back away from being perennial contenders? Good times, good times. 

Also really liked what we saw out of Herbert last year, it's not a huge drop to him even if he's not as special. 

Regarding Mooney, there's a cool speadsheety piece Here on him and I feel like it more or less confirms with data the impression a lot of us on here seem to share: Mooney is very good, not elite, and best at getting open deep and not so great at being the reliable sideline guy that gets you new downs. 

Also,  totally fine with the rules, including the loophole that means we have to watch Soulman vs Soulman somehow. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, soulman said:

I'm a little hazy on the rules?

If I find myself agreeing with you on this do I still have to take it out on myself?  🤔

Yep. One on one cage fight....3 two minute rounds and you have to live stream it.

Like this....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Love Montgomery, and always have a soft spot for the players who go the extra mile to improve like he did with his quickness and speed last year.   Seems like the Bears always have a player that makes you question the adage of "never pay running backs" don't they?  Also, remember when we thought that the Bears were a running back away from being perennial contenders? Good times, good times.

Yes they do.  I'm usually of the opinion that unless a RB is special then you let him walk after his rookie deal but I'm on the fence about Monty. And Herbert's play last year makes the decision even harder. Do you pay Monty top-10 Rb money for 4 years or let him walk and roll with Herbert for 2 more years on rookie money?

It's a good problem to have.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

Monty is a back that every team wants to have. I still don't think he is invaluable though, maybe Getsy gets him involved and producing in the passing game though. He seems like a weird mix of Forte and ATrain. Tough like ATrain and well rounded like Forte, but not the receiver Forte was.

About the same production as a runner as Matt but in Thomas' violent manner of getting it. Wish he had the same splash plays and was as constant a threat in the passing game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Monty is a back that every team wants to have. I still don't think he is invaluable though, maybe Getsy gets him involved and producing in the passing game though. He seems like a weird mix of Forte and ATrain. Tough like ATrain and well rounded like Forte, but not the receiver Forte was.

About the same production as a runner as Matt but in Thomas' violent manner of getting it. Wish he had the same splash plays and was as constant a threat in the passing game. 

This is a fair view and I agree in general. That's why I said earlier that I'm on the fence about him. If this was Atrain then he could go after his rookie contract is up. But you pay Forte for sure....even in todays climate. Monty is stuck between these two players unless he balls out this year and then I might have to rethink it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This is a fair view and I agree in general. That's why I said earlier that I'm on the fence about him. If this was Atrain then he could go after his rookie contract is up. But you pay Forte for sure....even in todays climate. Monty is stuck between these two players unless he balls out this year and then I might have to rethink it.

Yep. If Getsy actually does have the RB heavily impact the pass game Forte would be a beast for them. If Monty can be THAT guy then im more inclined. 

Also would have to see the value he and his agent have for him. Unless he goes god mode then if he is wanting top 10 money I dont even bother with a meet up. Best of luck in FA. 

On 4/21/2022 at 9:10 PM, Sugashane said:

This is the second masterbation post you've made in a week. 😂

Maybe I misunderstood? Nah....

Okay.....so it's a bit ya' know, lonely around here right now since my hot neighbor moved away.  😭

• Like 2