WR Wan’Dale Robinson selected by Giants @ 2.43

Acgott

4 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

ESPN has him listed as the 14th best wideout and I believe he was the 7th wideout taken in the draft.  Calvin Austin was taken late in the 4th and was rated 13th best wideout.  Wen'dale was way over drafted, by about two rounds.

That’s what I’m seeing, but in the third round. If the Giants think he fits this new Bills/Chiefs offense much better than the #8-#13 wide receiver, is it a bad move to make sure we get him? We all hate that he’s tiny, and not ranked perfectly on big boards, but we know the draft his a crapshoot.

23 minutes ago, Acgott said:

That’s what I’m seeing, but in the third round. If the Giants think he fits this new Bills/Chiefs offense much better than the #8-#13 wide receiver, is it a bad move to make sure we get him? We all hate that he’s tiny, and not ranked perfectly on big boards, but we know the draft his a crapshoot.

If he was taken in the 3rd round with our 2nd pick in that round, I would have no problems. He was taken in the 2nd round, where we should have taken our next starting corner. I am saying take a look at Calvin Austin highlights, he seems to do just about everything that Wen'Dale does, just faster. 

We got too cute and reached too much on day 2.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

If he was taken in the 3rd round with our 2nd pick in that round, I would have no problems. He was taken in the 2nd round, where we should have taken our next starting corner. I am saying take a look at Calvin Austin highlights, he seems to do just about everything that Wen'Dale does, just faster. 

We got too cute and reached too much on day 2.

I don’t disagree with your point that I wish it was a CB and he was probably over drafted. Hopefully Scheon, Daboll, and Kafka are right with Robinson.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV8wRDRzEYU

I think this guy highlight reels is just as good and we could have got this guy in the 4th round. 

Perhaps...I don't know, right now I'm trusting our front office made the right picks.  What I do know is this new GM I feel is already moving this team in the right direction.

Can't we just be happy that the gentleman is gone.  

10 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV8wRDRzEYU

I think this guy highlight reels is just as good and we could have got this guy in the 4th round. 

Alright, I finally got a chance to watch Calvin Austin III highlight reels.  Once I got past his insane speed, I didn't see much else in his game.  Poor run blocking, poor route running, poor field vision and weak, but that was just one game tape that I gathered my opinion of him.  Compare the two for yourself, but watch game tape and not just the highlights reels.  I watched a track star vs a football player.  Robinson is the better player but that's just one idiot's opinion...ha.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

Alright, I finally got a chance to watch Calvin Austin III highlight reels.  Once I got past his insane speed, I didn't see much else in his game.  Poor run blocking, poor route running, poor field vision and weak, but that was just one game tape that I gathered my opinion of him.  Compare the two for yourself, but watch game tape and not just the highlights reels.  I watched a track star vs a football player.  Robinson is the better player but that's just one idiot's opinion...ha.  Time will tell.

I don't watch college football, if you say Robinson is the better player I trust you and I am not down as much on the pick. It will be interesting seeing how their careers compare to each other. Thanks for doing the research.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Can't we just be happy that the gentleman is gone. 

No one is happier than me that Gettleman is gone. I am not a great fan of Joe Schoen day 2 draft strategy. Unlike Gettleman, Joe at least has a strategy. In one salary restricted off season Schoen has done more for this offensive line than Gettleman ever did and ever could do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

No one is happier than me that Gettleman is gone. I am not a great fan of Joe Schoen day 2 draft strategy. Unlike Gettleman, Joe at least has a strategy. In one salary restricted off season Schoen has done more for this offensive line than Gettleman ever did and ever could do.

Oh I know right...I just feel like the weight has been lifted.  I see this team headed in a direction for success.  Granted a lot is leaning on if Daniel Jones can progress.  He flashed his rookie season and part of those successess were because he had the chance to get the ball down field.  He had 4 TD games I mean when he was on he was on.  We give him more time in the pocket and a line that can find barkley some holes to run through will keep defenses honest.  So hopefully he comes through for us, future is bright...ha.

A couple things lend credence to the idea that the Giants were targeting specific players in this year's draft, at least partly because Schoen did not have a reliable scouting department with 'his guys' in place.

For one, look at the firings that happened immediately after the draft. The purge has begun, highlighted by Pettit being let go, and there were many more and presumably many more to come. Two, every guy we drafted the Giants spent significant time with. This is new for the Giants and unique in general. We brought in guys like Flott and DJ Davidson in for top-30 visits. Schoen had a video meeting with Thibs just a few days before the draft. The Giants almost definitely had 2 trades in place prior to the draft to accumulate 11 total picks, identified guys they liked that would be more than certain to be available at those picks, and picked them. Three, the trade back for Robinson supports this theory. He was not a 2nd round guy. There were more talented WRs available when we took him, at least in my opinion. However, the Giants, specifically Daboll and Kafka, identified this guy as a guy they wanted and had a place for. As much as Robinson was a reach, I'm still willing to trust this coaching staff and see the vision come together before I put a final judgement down. Both Daboll and Kafka have had a lot of success with guys like Robinson in both Buffalo and KC. They also have a plan to use him, unlike Garrett with Toney last year. It's exciting, and could work out really well. Ultimately, it doesn't matter where a guy was selected if he turns out to be a good player.

I have my reservations: he's a short, tiny WR with a catch radius the size of a hula hoop and only above average speed. But you can see why Kafka and Daboll liked him: he got a lot of manufactured touches in college, which means the UK coaches thought he was a great player, and he produced a ton with those touches. He's shifty and versatile.

• Like 1