#172 Samuel Womack, CB Toledo

Forge

Of the six selections the 49ers made on Saturday, the Table Talk winner was their fifth-round pick, Toledo cornerback Samuel Womack.

Midwest area scout Ryan Kessenich pushed for Womack. So did West Region scout Dom DiCicco, who cross-checks the cornerbacks in the draft. Womack also was a favorite of Matt Ploenzke in the research and development department.

“A lot of their metrics — he did well in,” Peters said. “Especially their deep-ball grade. Which is cool. Because when the scouts say, ‘Hey, he’s got great deep ball skills’ and the numbers match up, that helps. Our hit rates are really high when the scouts and coaches are in line with R&D.”

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Of the six selections the 49ers made on Saturday, the Table Talk winner was their fifth-round pick, Toledo cornerback Samuel Womack.

Midwest area scout Ryan Kessenich pushed for Womack. So did West Region scout Dom DiCicco, who cross-checks the cornerbacks in the draft. Womack also was a favorite of Matt Ploenzke in the research and development department.

“A lot of their metrics — he did well in,” Peters said. “Especially their deep-ball grade. Which is cool. Because when the scouts say, ‘Hey, he’s got great deep ball skills’ and the numbers match up, that helps. Our hit rates are really high when the scouts and coaches are in line with R&D.”

Love hearing this. When DJ Reed was picked, I was convinced he was going to end up being a good player....And he's done just that, but with another team unfortunately lol. But sometimes you get these smaller CBs who have great competitive spirits with good ball skills and they usually end up being successful. I love when the scouting department has a say in who to take. That's how we ended up with guys like Kittle and Jones in the first place. Seems like they were also big on Davis who they are comparing to DJ Jones. This was a draft I said that had to be mainly about the trenches. We came away with four OL/DL which I'm a big fan of. Now we shall see if there are any hits and if these guys can contribute soon. Then we picked two corners with good athleticism so let's see what we get from there. This isn't a draft where we are getting an elite talent but just some good solid contributors to improve our depth. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Love hearing this. When DJ Reed was picked, I was convinced he was going to end up being a good player....And he's done just that, but with another team unfortunately lol. But sometimes you get these smaller CBs who have great competitive spirits with good ball skills and they usually end up being successful. I love when the scouting department has a say in who to take. That's how we ended up with guys like Kittle and Jones in the first place. Seems like they were also big on Davis who they are comparing to DJ Jones. This was a draft I said that had to be mainly about the trenches. We came away with four OL/DL which I'm a big fan of. Now we shall see if there are any hits and if these guys can contribute soon. Then we picked two corners with good athleticism so let's see what we get from there. This isn't a draft where we are getting an elite talent but just some good solid contributors to improve our depth. 

I do agree with everything you just said...except I think we could see some elite players develop from this draft. I specifically am thinking of Drake, Danny and probably Kalia. Just my opinion. 

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

I do agree with everything you just said...except I think we could see some elite players develop from this draft. I specifically am thinking of Drake, Danny and probably Kalia. Just my opinion. 

That would be awesome but from 2017-2019 we got Kittle, Warner, Bosa and Deebo. That's ridiculous to have four all pro caliber players in a three year span. We shall see what happens in 2020 but that draft was all about Lance. This draft may not have players of THAT caliber but if they can be even in the hunt to make the Pro Bowl from time to time then that would be awesome. 

• Like 2

After he was selected, there was a quick conclusion that Womack would be among those vying to replace K’Waun Williams as the 49ers’ nickel cornerback. After all, both are 5-foot-9, 185 pounds with swivel hips.

Peters, however, noted that Womack mostly lined up on the outside at Toledo and has both the arm length, at 32 inches, and the speed — 4.39-second 40-yard dash — of an every-down cornerback. Yes, he’s a possibility at the nickel spot, but the 49ers, including Ryans, like his ability to line up outside as well.

“In Sam you really see elite cover skills,” Peters said. “He shows great poise when the ball’s in the air. He’s really, really good finding the ball, tracking it, making a play without committing a foul. And he’s been doing that his whole career, really. He had 11 interceptions as a high school senior. He’s been taking the ball away for a long time. He’s really more of a cover corner.”

https://theathletic.com/3294631/2022/05/05/49ers-nfl-draft-scouting-reports/?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I like this. You look at DJ Reed and you think nickel corner because of his height but he plays very well on the outside. Let Womack try both spots and see where he excels more at. VERY competitive corner that will compete regardless of where he is lined up at. 

31 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://theathletic.com/3294631/2022/05/05/49ers-nfl-draft-scouting-reports/?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I like this. You look at DJ Reed and you think nickel corner because of his height but he plays very well on the outside. Let Womack try both spots and see where he excels more at. VERY competitive corner that will compete regardless of where he is lined up at. 

His athletic profile is insanely similar to reed's as well.