> 2023 NFL Draft Prospects Thread <

Kiltman

Tyree Wilson not as great as I thought he would look, based on what I read. Great size, decent pop his hands, decent in a straight line, but doesn't really look agile or quick twitchy at all. Footwork/knees look kinda stiff. Hips didn't seem to be anything special. Average closing burst. I didn't really see a round 1 player, let alone a top 10 player. He's a got a bull rush with a dip that can work against weak or just bad OT's, but I don't see this guy beating Jordan Mailata 1 on 1, let alone a Trent Williams or Lane Johnson. Foskey definitely a superior athlete in comparison.

We might want to look into trading the Saints pick for an existing DE, if we can afford it. I'd rather trade for Jax Josh Allen or Brian Burns than draft Myles Murphy or Foskey

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Tyree Wilson not as great as I thought he would look, based on what I read. Great size, decent pop his hands, decent in a straight line, but doesn't really look agile or quick twitchy at all. Footwork/knees look kinda stiff. Hips didn't seem to be anything special. Average closing burst. I didn't really see a round 1 player, let alone a top 10 player. He's a got a bull rush with a dip that can work against weak or just bad OT's, but I don't see this guy beating Jordan Mailata 1 on 1, let alone a Trent Williams or Lane Johnson. Foskey definitely a superior athlete in comparison.

We might want to look into trading the Saints pick for an existing DE, if we can afford it. I'd rather trade for Jax Josh Allen or Brian Burns than draft Myles Murphy or Foskey

If we can get an impact like AJ was this year for that 1st then hell yea, trade that first away. 

13 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

If we can get an impact like AJ was this year for that 1st then hell yea, trade that first away. 

Is spending a first to upgrade our third DE really the correct usage of a resource? now if were top 3 and are talking generational talent than yeah do it but as we far farther from those dreams I think we probably should just draft a starting corner.

42 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Is spending a first to upgrade our third DE really the correct usage of a resource? now if were top 3 and are talking generational talent than yeah do it but as we far farther from those dreams I think we probably should just draft a starting corner.

Spending a 1st to get a great/very good player in return is the correct usage, yes.

We just used the 13th overall pick on our #3 DT. Nobody seemed to think it was a bad idea. Even if Cox and Hargrave were 25 years old and going be here for another 5+ years, it wouldn't have been a terrible move to get a 3rd DT. You think DE is less valuable than DT? Are you able to guarantee that Sweat or Reddick wont tear an ACL in week 1 next year? Are you able to guarantee that if one does, we'll be fine without them? You make it sound like drafting a starting CB is super easy even though we haven't been able to do it since Lito and Sheldon.

Edited by Jeezla

4 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Spending a 1st to get a great/very good player in return is the correct usage, yes.

We just used the 13th overall pick on our #3 DT. Nobody seemed to think it was a bad idea. Even if Cox and Hargrave were 25 years old and going be here for another 5+ years, it wouldn't have been a terrible move to get a 3rd DT. You think DE is less valuable than DT? Are you able to guarantee that Sweat or Reddick wont tear an ACL in week 1 next year? Are you able to guarantee that if one does, we'll be fine without them? 

Jordan Davis filled a role in the defense that the defense needed to actually function correctly. He wasn't a third behind Cox and Hargrave he was needed to be the nose in the base package.

I also don't think you should use top 15 picks because someone might get hurt. In the range we will end up picking the Corners become just as good value. Why not just replace Bradberry? 

12 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

He wasn't a third behind Cox and Hargrave he was needed to be the nose in the base package.

If we're going by snap counts, he was definitely 3rd and wasn't playing in base very much until it became obvious that we had no run defense without him. 

A 3rd stud pass rusher gives us more package flexibility. 2 studs on the edges with Reddick spying the QB from the OLB spot. It's not just injury assurance for Reddick or Sweat. We rotate our DL a lot. It's silly to think a 3rd pass rusher wouldn't help us.

Edited by Jeezla

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

If we're going by snap counts, he was definitely 3rd and wasn't playing in base very much until it became obvious that we had no run defense without him. 

Like I said he was needed for the functionality of the defense. He was a player that Gannon needed to play the defense he calls. So I do think that is slightly different than just adding to the pass rush. 

13 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Sure, name the rookie CB that will be as good as Bradberry

No one said the rookie will be better than Bradberry we are just hoping the drop off isnt that big. I doubt we can afford to bring Bradberry back next year. He will go get money from some team.

7 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

No one said the rookie will be better than Bradberry we are just hoping the drop off isnt that big. I doubt we can afford to bring Bradberry back next year. He will go get money from some team.

If we draft a CB in round 1, we'll be lucky if he looks good by year 4. There will be a huge drop off between the rookie we draft and Bradberry. There is no Sauce or Stingley Jr in this draft (even if there was- we aren't drafting early enough for them), and we aren't the team that's going to get Tariq Woolen in the 3rd or 4th. Howie can draft slot CB's, and that's it.

Edited by Jeezla

Just now, Jeezla said:

If we draft a CB in round 1, we'll be lucky if he looks good by year 4. There will be a huge drop off between the rookie we draft and Bradberry. There is no Sauce or Stingley Jr in this draft, and we aren't the team that's going to get Tariq Woolen in the 3rd or 4th. Howie can draft slot CB's, and that's it.

What is your solution to replacing Bradberry then in the event he leaves?

5 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Any potential targets come to mind?

Maybe Jaylon Johnson on the Bears. Has to be a bad team that's more than just a QB away, like the Lions were. I don't know who all has been good at CB this year. We aren't going to get another Slay or a Jalen Ramsay, but we can get a really good #2 CB.

Edited by Jeezla