Who was a better player at their Peak? Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice

mdonnelly21

Who was a better player at their Peak? Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice?   

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who was a better player at their Peak?

Barry was great, but if you watched him, he was boom or bust on his runs. Lots of negative runs. There’s a legit argument that he wasn’t the best RB of his generation. He had 2000 yards in a season, but when I think of a peak, it’s not just a single season. Rice’s peak was as good as anybody at any position—except for maybe Reggie White’s time in Philadelphia and LT (the original).

Edited by TheEagle

2 hours ago, TheEagle said:

Barry was great, but if you watched him, he was boom or bust on his runs. Lots of negative runs. There’s a legit argument that he wasn’t the best RB of his generation. He had 2000 yards in a season, but when I think of a peak, it’s not just a single season. Rice’s peak was as good as anybody at any position—except for maybe Reggie White’s time in Philadelphia and LT (the original).

Who do you think had a greater peak between Reggie White and LT and why? 

17 hours ago, TheEagle said:

My pick between the two is Barry because he was a threat to beat a whole defense for a score or a big chunk gain, Jerry beat one on one coverages and occasional brackets 

As far as the Reggie White part, Id throw in Ray Lewis. He was a was great individually, he was probably the best at his position and demanded the best out of guys playing along side of him. 

Edited by MSURacerDT55

On 5/8/2022 at 6:34 PM, TheEagle said:

Barry was great, but if you watched him, he was boom or bust on his runs. Lots of negative runs.

Was that because there would not be any semblance of a hole and defenders on him from the moment he touched the ball? 

With the run pass ratio they had back then, youd think Barry would be facing 8 man boxes constantly, with a poor OL, no? 

I guess my question is, was he "dancing" and failing to execute the offense with open running lanes, or just trying to make a damn play because thats the only freaking time they moved the ball?? big difference between those two IMO

• Like 1