2022 Schedule Discussion

BobbyPhil1781

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Sam Fran as a bottom 6 team says all I need to know about this ranking system lol

I'm not so sure, it might be spot on. Really depends on who is the QB.  Jimmy will have them in playoff contention and Lance might have them in that bottom 6 contention.

2 minutes ago, true2form said:

I'm not so sure, it might be spot on. Really depends on who is the QB.  Jimmy will have them in playoff contention and Lance might have them in that bottom 6 contention.

You think Jimmy is good enough to elevate a team from being a bottom feeder to a contender? He holds them back.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'll never understand why everyone is in love with the Colts.

Not sure if an aging Matt Ryan is really much better than Carson. Will be interesting to see. Defense took a little bit of a step backwards last year but still shined in some areas. Too many question marks to be ranked where they are in this IMO.

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Not sure if an aging Matt Ryan is really much better than Carson. Will be interesting to see. Defense took a little bit of a step backwards last year but still shined in some areas. Too many question marks to be ranked where they are in this IMO.

They lost their DC and replaced him with Gus Bradley, lost a couple of starters on the offensive line as well.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You think Jimmy is good enough to elevate a team from being a bottom feeder to a contender? He holds them back.

Not sure where this bottom feeder stuff is coming from.  I'm not defending Jimmy, he doesn't elevate anything IMO. With Jimmy, proof is in the pudding, they've been a playoff contender every year. However, you go to Lance and you're rolling the dice.  

Think you have everything backwards. Jimmy may hold the team back from winning it all, but Lance probably won't even give them a shot.  

1 minute ago, true2form said:

Not sure where this bottom feeder stuff is coming from.  I'm not defending Jimmy, he doesn't elevate anything IMO. With Jimmy, proof is in the pudding, they've been a playoff contender every year. However, you go to Lance and you're rolling the dice.  

Think you have everything backwards. Jimmy may hold the team back from winning it all, but Lance probably won't even give them a shot.  

Being a bottom 6 team means that you're a bottom feeder, you said that Jimmy may have them in playoff contention while Lance may have them in the bottom 6. The 49ers are one of the most talented and well coached teams in the league, they realized that Jimmy limits them.

We've seen it a few times with the 49ers going from Smith to Kap, the Chiefs going from Smith to Mahomes, and the Rams going from Goff to Stafford. When you get a dynamic QB it opens up everything for you.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Being a bottom 6 team means that you're a bottom feeder, you said that Jimmy may have them in playoff contention while Lance may have them in the bottom 6. The 49ers are one of the most talented and well coached teams in the league, they realized that Jimmy limits them.

We've seen it a few times with the 49ers going from Smith to Kap, the Chiefs going from Smith to Mahomes, and the Rams going from Goff to Stafford. When you get a dynamic QB it opens up everything for you.

Jimmy was 9-5 last year and Lance 1-2.  As pedestrian as Jimmy is, he's still miles ahead of Lance. This exactly what I said.  Jimmy will have them in playoff contention just like last year, key word contention.  Lance is more likely to keep up the 1-2 ratio then to get them further than Jimmy.  You apparently think Lance will take them to the Super Bowl? If Lance starts, I'd guess they have a 7-10 type season at best.  Jimmy gets them 2-3 more wins only because he's a veteran QB. The only thing Lance showed me last year is that he wasn't ready and who knows if he ever will be.

We've seen 10x as many busts than those few that worked.  For the record, I don't think this 49ers team is on the same level as those teams and definitely don't think this pair of QBs can touch any of those except the last 49ers switch.

Just now, true2form said:

Jimmy was 9-5 last year and Lance 1-2.  As pedestrian as Jimmy is, he's still miles ahead of Lance. This exactly what I said.  Jimmy will have them in playoff contention just like last year, key word contention.  Lance is more likely to keep up the 1-2 ratio then to get them further than Jimmy.  You apparently think Lance will take them to the Super Bowl? If Lance starts, I'd guess they have a 7-10 type season at best.  Jimmy gets them 2-3 more wins only because he's a veteran QB. The only thing Lance showed me last year is that he wasn't ready and who knows if he ever will be.

We've seen 10x as many busts than those few that worked.  For the record, I don't think this 49ers team is on the same level as those teams and definitely don't think this pair of QBs can touch any of those except the last 49ers switch.

Lance was 1-1 and Jimmy was 9-6 for them last season, Lance started against the Cardinals and Texans. The 49ers apparently think that Lance will take them to the Super Bowl or they wouldn't have traded away three first round picks to move up so they could replace Jimmy. 

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I've seen some reports that Trey isn't ready to go. I wouldn't be surprised by this but you might have to think about Jimmy being the guy for at least a part of the year.

OTA's are barely just getting going, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep Jimmy but I don't think that's what they want to do. 3 1st round picks is a lot to give up for a backup QB.

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lance was 1-1 and Jimmy was 9-6 for them last season, Lance started against the Cardinals and Texans. The 49ers apparently think that Lance will take them to the Super Bowl or they wouldn't have traded away three first round picks to move up so they could replace Jimmy. 

Either way, Jimmy was the QB who got them there last year.  Like you said it's a lot to give up for a QB you are unsure of.  I thought it was a mistake then and near disaster now.  Only Lance can make it a worthy trade. Maybe I'm wrong and it all works out for them in a couple years, but I'd expect a drop off season this year if Trey starts.

5 minutes ago, true2form said:

Either way, Jimmy was the QB who got them there last year.  Like you said it's a lot to give up for a QB you are unsure of.  I thought it was a mistake then and near disaster now.  Only Lance can make it a worthy trade. Maybe I'm wrong and it all works out for them in a couple years, but I'd expect a drop off season this year if Trey starts.

Jimmy in their offense is like Goff when he was with the Rams, he could do enough for them to be good but didn't have the ability to create enough big plays for them to be great. Lance definitely has more upside just because of his physical talent but he's also so inexperienced, IIRC he only played like 15 games in college and only 1 his final season because of covid. Either way though Lynch and Shanahan put their balls on the chopping block for him but the fact that they haven't moved on from Jimmy does signal that they may not believe in him.

the 9ers are loaded, Jimmy is a good enough manager for them to be decent. I dont believe Lance is the guy, but if he works out he gives them more upside. I think their floor is what we saw with Jimmy last year. They arent going to force Lance if theyre losing games. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

OTA's are barely just getting going, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep Jimmy but I don't think that's what they want to do. 3 1st round picks is a lot to give up for a backup QB.

It is but if you're worried his confidence could be affected and cause problems, do you risk it? That's where the tough choices have to be made IMO. Guy has the physical traits but he was very raw.