2022 Schedule Discussion

BobbyPhil1781

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

It is but if you're worried his confidence could be affected and cause problems, do you risk it? That's where the tough choices have to be made IMO. Guy has the physical traits but he was very raw.

That's the thing , they put themselves in a really weird spot. No one can deny that Lance has some elite physical tools but he hardly played and it was at the division 2 level, physical traits only get you so far. But at the same time it's difficult to keep a guy as the QB2 who you just traded 3 1st round picks to acquire. 

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

That's the thing , they put themselves in a really weird spot. No one can deny that Lance has some elite physical tools but he hardly played and it was at the division 2 level, physical traits only get you so far. But at the same time it's difficult to keep a guy as the QB2 who you just traded 3 1st round picks to acquire. 

Yep, this is their own fault for giving up a ton of capital for this guy. You don't want to keep him as your backup but at the same time, can't really put him in until he's ready for risk you might permanently damage his psyche. Good luck to them. I personally wouldn't have touched him until the late first at the earliest but that's just me. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Jimmy in their offense is like Goff when he was with the Rams, he could do enough for them to be good but didn't have the ability to create enough big plays for them to be great. Lance definitely has more upside just because of his physical talent but he's also so inexperienced, IIRC he only played like 15 games in college and only 1 his final season because of covid. Either way though Lynch and Shanahan put their balls on the chopping block for him but the fact that they haven't moved on from Jimmy does signal that they may not believe in him.

I don't disagree.  Jimmy is an average QB.  It's less about him and more about how bad I think Trey is, at least at this moment in time.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 9:02 AM, true2form said:

I don't disagree.  Jimmy is an average QB.  It's less about him and more about how bad I think Trey is, at least at this moment in time.

I think Lance starting would be a disaster for them right now. 

They went the Josh Allen route in terms of pick, and I get the argument for his upside. But that's never guaranteed. I'm not going to be surprised if SF didn't try to quietly pull the plug on the whole experiment in the next year or so and hope that their overall record/performance has been enough to be granted a mulligan for Lance. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I think Lance starting would be a disaster for them right now. 

They went the Josh Allen route in terms of pick, and I get the argument for his upside. But that's never guaranteed. I'm not going to be surprised if SF didn't try to quietly pull the plug on the whole experiment in the next year or so and hope that their overall record/performance has been enough to be granted a mulligan for Lance. 

I read some "rumors" that the 9ers brass feels Lance is not close to being ready.  I'm not sure if that is an indication that they feel he will be a bust or not but I will say if it's true that is a major red flag for a top 5 pick.  Usually it's one year on the bench and then give him the reigns.  

If he is indeed not ready it's most likely his inability to grasp how to play QB on an NFL level.  The backyard football thing wont cut it with Shanahan and most likely why some in the organization preferred Jones at 3 over Lance.  They chose upside and here they are....

I think it's also telling that Jimmy G is still on the roster.  If the rumors about lance still being very raw are true I would not be surprised to see Jimmy G start the season at the top of the depth chart.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 2

On 5/21/2022 at 10:44 AM, Frankie2Gunz said:

I think it's also telling that Jimmy G is still on the roster.  If the rumors about lance still being very raw are true I would not be surprised to see Jimmy G start the season at the top of the depth chart.  

Recent reports have been that Lance looks great in OTAs and that Jimmy is basically a goner before the season. It takes two to tango in a trade and most teams aren't going to give up a ton of assets for an injured QB on a 1 year deal that they know is on the chopping block.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Recent reports have been that Lance looks great in OTAs and that Jimmy is basically a goner before the season. It takes two to tango in a trade and most teams aren't going to give up a ton of assets for an injured QB on a 1 year deal that they know is on the chopping block.

To be fair, it should be expected to look good in shorts.  It would've meant more if he was doing poorly.  If you don't look good in camp, you probably don't need to be there.

16 hours ago, true2form said:

To be fair, it should be expected to look good in shorts.  It would've meant more if he was doing poorly.  If you don't look good in camp, you probably don't need to be there.

Everyone has been so harsh on him, he's going to be good.

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Everyone has been so harsh on him, he's going to be good.

I'm sure people are too harsh, even me.  He might end up being good, but nothing I've seen makes me a believer.  It's nothing personal, I treat every young player that is going off "potential"  that way.  I'm a "believe it, when I see it" kinda guy and I haven't in the small sample size. 

Just now, true2form said:

I'm sure people are too harsh, even me.  He might end up being good, but nothing I've seen makes me a believer.  It's nothing personal, I treat every young player that is going off "potential"  that way.  I'm a "believe it, when I see it" kinda guy and I haven't in the small sample size. 

What have you seen that has given you doubts? He started two games and looked significantly better in the 2nd start.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What have you seen that has given you doubts? He started two games and looked significantly better in the 2nd start.

Mechanics and accuracy are a big concern, both which can be improved upon.  I don't give too much credit for looking better against a team like Houston.  Another one of those, well you better or maybe you shouldn't be here things.  

Beyond that, I do have an admitted bias towards most young "mobile" QBs these days.  Very few of them improve from the one read, take off and run college style offenses. They made it to where they are on superior athleticism and that tends to not translate to the pros.  People will point out guys like Lamar and Kyler, but I don't care for either of them and they are the best at it.  Are they dynamic, yes.  Can they win some games, yes.  Are they 10-20 year QBs with at least an argument for a HOF career, I can think of only a handful in the last 40 years off the top of my head.

I want Manning, not Vick. Give me Rodgers, not Lamar.  I'm not a fan of Brady, but I'll take him every day over Kyler.  

4 minutes ago, true2form said:

Mechanics and accuracy are a big concern, both which can be improved upon.  I don't give too much credit for looking better against a team like Houston.  Another one of those, well you better or maybe you shouldn't be here things.  

Beyond that, I do have an admitted bias towards most young "mobile" QBs these days.  Very few of them improve from the one read, take off and run college style offenses. They made it to where they are on superior athleticism and that tends to not translate to the pros.  People will point out guys like Lamar and Kyler, but I don't care for either of them and they are the best at it.  Are they dynamic, yes.  Can they win some games, yes.  Are they 10-20 year QBs with at least an argument for a HOF career, I can think of only a handful in the last 40 years off the top of my head.

I want Manning, not Vick. Give me Rodgers, not Lamar.  I'm not a fan of Brady, but I'll take him every day over Kyler.  

I mean he only played one game in like a year and a half span at NDSU before he made the jump to the NFL. There was/is going to be a tremendous learning curve for him but his physical tools are top tier.