ILB: Zack Cunningham / Dylan Cole
ILB: Benardrick McKinney
OLB: Whitney Mercilus 
CB: Jonathan Joseph / Kareem Jackson
CB: Aaron Colvin / Kevin Johnson
S: Andre Hal / Kurtis Drummond
S: Corey Moore / Treston Decloud  

7 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Saying he was our best CB last year is like saying Sam Dekker is the best out of Bobby Brown, Markel Brown, and RJ Hunter.  We need to sign EJ Gaines.

I get that, but he was also our 2nd best when we had the number 1 D in the league the year before. We can't replace all 4 of our CBs, so bringing him and Colvin in makes a lot of sense. We do still need a number one , and we need to move either Jackson or Johnson to Safety. i think Jackson would thrive there. 

from what i am reading, the market for EJ Gaines is going to be in the 9-10 million per season range. 

Kareem Jackson is getting 9 million this year, we could release him and sign Gaines and only be adding like 2-3 million to our cap number. we would also be able to play Gaines and JJoe on the outside and Colvin in the slot. 

48 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Saying he was our best CB last year is like saying Sam Dekker is the best out of Bobby Brown, Markel Brown, and RJ Hunter.  We need to sign EJ Gaines.

Ha!  Rockets reference!!   

JJo is a decent 2/3 CB and will be a great mentor to young CBs that we bring in.

It seems like regardless of what we do the rest of the off season, we are going to have a lot of cap space this year. We might as well sign Mckinney and Clowney to super front loaded contract extensions. Cap wont be an issue this season or next, so give them a bunch upfront, that way we have room to extend other guys in the future. 

6 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

JJo is a decent 2/3 CB and will be a great mentor to young CBs that we bring in.

I think the mentoring part is worth a few million a year. Joseph was good, just overpaid a bit. That shouldn't be an issue anymore - so, his experience and on field savvy is a welcome return to the DB group.

16 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It seems like regardless of what we do the rest of the off season, we are going to have a lot of cap space this year. We might as well sign Mckinney and Clowney to super front loaded contract extensions. Cap wont be an issue this season or next, so give them a bunch upfront, that way we have room to extend other guys in the future. 

I've got to think that's on the dockett over the next few months. I expect McKinney to be extended pretty quickly, as he could set the market for 3-4 ILBs with his deal. 

Clowney is trickier - his people are no doubt waiting for Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald to set the table. In no universe is Clowney making MORE than those two, but he's due something in that general zip code.

EDIT: If these deals go down like this, you have to also give a bit of credit to Rick Smith; By him not blinking to extend Duane Brown with two years left, neither of these guys should think of trying to pull off shenanigans like that once all the guaranteed money is gone. 

I'm...not used to giving Smith credit. It feels strange. I need to take a shower.

20 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

Mike Pouncey was just cut. Gaine was with the Dolphins when he was drafted. Even though Fulton and Kelemete were just signed, I wonder if they'll have any interest in him.

Ugh - too many off the field red flags (and I'm not talking Anthem kneeling).

- Guy was an ardent supporter of Aaron Hernandez AFTER he was arrested on multiple murder and attempted murder charges.

- He was also a big name in the Richie Incognito hazing/bullying fiasco in Miami.

I don't think he's worth the headache, especially given the moves we made.

3 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Ebron has a ton of potential. He is only 24 and he lives in Houston already. Might as well add him on the cheap. 

I wouldn't say he has a ton of potential.  At this point of his career he is what he is. Sad part is that he would still easily be our best TE on the roster. 

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I wouldn't say he has a ton of potential.  At this point of his career he is what he is. Sad part is that he would still easily be our best TE on the roster. 

2016 he played 13 games had over 60 catches and 700 yards. He’s had some injury issues but he could easily be an 800 yard TE for us. 

Just now, Pastor Dillon said:

2016 he played 13 games had over 60 catches and 700 yards. He’s had some injury issues but he could easily be an 800 yard TE for us. 

...and 2017 he took a step backwards from those numbers and that was playing in a pass happy offense.

Archived