Texans off-season thread

ET80

15 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

That's my take as well, he's more versatile and a bigger playmaker overall. If the Cardinals want 1st round value for him, give it to 'em.

You guys must be smoking too much of what Mathieu used to.  There is no planet where Mathieu is even close to Earl Thomas aside from his nickname.  6 time Pro Bowler, Thomas is a season or two away from locking up first ballot hall of fame status and Mathieu has basically had 1 great season (2015), 1 terrible one (2016), 2 injury plagued ones (13, 14), and last year where he was the 2nd best safety on his own team which is why he's being shopped.

Playmaking?  Thomas = 25 int's, 66 pds, 11 FF / Mathieu 11 / 41 / 4

Durability?  Thomas = 121 starts out of 128 + 12 playoff starts / Mathieu 66 starts out of 80 + 1 playoff start

Speed?  Thomas = 4.33, Mathieu = 4.5

Size? Thomas = 5' 10'  208,  Mathieu = 5' 9', 186

Leadership?  Thomas literally was a choirboy in college (organ players at 7a services following Sat games) while Mathieu failed 10+ drug tests and got booted from his team because he was "leading" others into his drug den.  Sure, I'll give Mathieu credit for his recovery and being a solid leader since, but it still pales to Thomas who was "the leader" of one of the greatest secondaries in NFL history (Sherman was the mouth / Chancellor the fist / Thomas the talent).  Thomas is notorious for his 8:45am-10:30pm obsessive work ethic and quiet humility.  Honey Badger is notorious for his hair.

Role? Thomas basically has an entire defense built on his ability to shut down the entire center of the field on seam and post routes while the team sits in zone with 3 smart but slow counterparts.  Mathieu basically defends the slot ala Kareem Jackson while Peterson shuts down half the field.  There is no comparison to what they are asked to do, but I acknowledge that Mathieu probably has the skillset to play a Thomas-like role. 

Look, I'm not saying Mathieu isn't a top end player, just that a 3 year age difference doesn't come close to making up the talent and production difference.  I think he'd be a fine addition with the gap between him and Hal & Gilchrist/Moore ridiculous, but he's Chancellor to Thomas (not play style, but talent level).  I think Joyner is a better player (who's not going anywhere) and Reid is a better fit (we are already an undersized secondary).   

Texan fans are understandably leery of bringing in vets with HoF pedigree's after the Ed Reed fiasco, but comparing Thomas and Reed situations doesn't hold water.  You can't compare a 35 year old loudmouth/diva coming off a 2nd crippling hip injury and a 29 year old quiet leader who missed a few games with a hammy last year. The "retirement" talk ignores context as it was made an hour after he broke his leg right before a playoff run and likely was in immense pain and understandably emotional.  Lumping Thomas in with the Seahawks purge is unfair as Chancellor/Avril aren't playing another down, Sherman was not going to play at a level warranting $13.2 million coming off an achilles and already slow, and Bennett was always a handful and his play and pay no longer live up to the mouth (Lane getting mentioned with these guys is silly as he's a dime back with a failed physical and recent DUI).  The 'Hawks are pushing to Colts territory with years of terrible drafts, overspending on middling FA's, failure to surround Wilson with talent, and a HC who got by on being "inspirational" with exceptional assistants and on field leaders, but lacking the x's o's chops to overcome their absence.  

6 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Call it a feeling, but I think we get news of a Jadevion Clowney extension this week.

I kind of hope we don't extend him. We can tag him twice and get 3 more years out of him. I think it is likely we re-structure JJs deal. 

Just now, amazingandre said:

I kind of hope we don't extend him. We can tag him twice and get 3 more years out of him. I think it is likely we re-structure JJs deal. 

I think Clowney's mental makeup wouldn't be suited to this - as in, he'd completely mail it in if he was tagged. If we're OK with that and letting him walk (and continue on his current path elsewhere) then I say go for it.

I think there's a middle ground to be had - he should not get Mack, Von, Donald or JJ money. But, he should get a pretty hefty contract (with help from a Watt restructure).

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I think Clowney's mental makeup wouldn't be suited to this - as in, he'd completely mail it in if he was tagged. If we're OK with that and letting him walk (and continue on his current path elsewhere) then I say go for it.

I think there's a middle ground to be had - he should not get Mack, Von, Donald or JJ money. But, he should get a pretty hefty contract (with help from a Watt restructure).

His knee really scares me long term. I don't even know what he thinks he is worth. A Watt re-structure needs to happen regardless of what we do with Clowney. 

Just now, amazingandre said:

Rumors are swirling that we are looking hard at Jimmy Graham.

Hmm...hmm. Hmm. Uhmm...hmm. 

I don't know how to feel about this. On one hand, he's one of the most dynamic TEs in the league. On the other hand, he's on the wrong side of 30 and can't really provide in line production in the run game - sealing off the edge and such. His namesake will probably command a pretty big contract, too. No thanks.

I'd prefer to go for Dwayne Allen - in line blocker who isn't a complete waste in the passing game.

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Hmm...hmm. Hmm. Uhmm...hmm. 

I don't know how to feel about this. On one hand, he's one of the most dynamic TEs in the league. On the other hand, he's on the wrong side of 30 and can't really provide in line production in the run game - sealing off the edge and such. His namesake will probably command a pretty big contract, too. No thanks.

I'd prefer to go for Dwayne Allen - in line blocker who isn't a complete waste in the passing game.

I would rather draft Fumagalli

Archived