Texans off-season thread

ET80

We received a 3rd and two 6th rounders as compensation. 

Updated draft list:

3rd Round (68th overall)
3rd Round (80th overall, from Seattle)
3rd Round (98th overall, compensatory)
4th Round (103rd overall)
6th Round (177th overall)
6th Round (211th overall, compensatory)
6th Round (214th overall, compensatory)
7th Round (222nd overall)

17 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Word from scouts is UT OT prospect Connor Williams has a mid round grade on him. I didn't watch much UT ball this year but I wouldn't mind grabbing him 

He was a lock top 20 pick this time last season. Had some injuries this season, so his medical is going to really determine his value...

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Rumors circling that we might waive Lamar Miller.  I dont get it.  Foreman is coming back from injury and our other backs arent good.  

I doubt it, but I'd also think we could find a lower cost alternative on the open market. Lamar was good, but far from great. At his sticker price, you should expect more production. 

This being said, I'm chalking this up as a rumor, nothing more. Miller brings versatility in the offense, a guy who can prove to be valuable in the passing game as a blocker and receiver.

45 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I know hindsight is 20/20 but man I wish we had the 4th pick.  Fitzpatrick to the Texans is almost close as a lock you can get.

I wouldnt trade watson for anything

but i do wish we could have gotten fitzpatrick, sign butler, problem solved

but what really stings is having to burn a 2nd round pick for no reason. Did we really need to save the money from Brock? We could have eaten his salary and cut him cleanly 

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I wouldnt trade watson for anything

but i do wish we could have gotten fitzpatrick, sign butler, problem solved

but what really stings is having to burn a 2nd round pick for no reason. Did we really need to save the money from Brock? We could have eaten his salary and cut him cleanly 

True... true... but IIRC at the time we were all in on a pursuit of Tony Romo (so we needed the space) and then Jer-ruh decided he was going to Jer-ruh

16 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Rumors circling that we might waive Lamar Miller.  I dont get it.  Foreman is coming back from injury and our other backs arent good.  

he frees up almost another 5 million.

Foreman is finished, and if he ever does anything with his career, it wont be next season. This is the worst injury a professional athlete can suffer that's not life threatening. I cant think of a single example of a guy who suffered this and came back to be a productive above average starter. 

We would basically be going into the season without running backs. 

Tyler Ervin seems to be liked by the coaching staff, but hes a wash. The good news is that RBs are drafted late and often make really good players. You can start a rookie 3rd or 4th round RB and have a lot of success. 

I suspect that Barkley will be the only 1st round RB, and so there might be a lot of guys in the 3rd round and we have 3 picks, including the 4th pick of the round. 

Miller has underwhelmed as a Texan. 888 yards and 3 TDs is something you can get for 2 million, not 7 million

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I suspect that Barkley will be the only 1st round RB, and so there might be a lot of guys in the 3rd round and we have 3 picks, including the 4th pick of the round. 

I agree with this - Nick Chubb was once viewed as a top pick, but suffered that gruesome knee injury a few years back. This being said, he bounced back in a big way and proved to be a good option next to Sony Michel (another guy who might be there in the mid rounds).

I know we want to devote so much to OL and secondary, but given the knowledge and experience required to play at a high level at those spots, I'd rather fill those needs in FA and use capital in the draft for second level needs (RB, TE). Someone like Royce Freeman would be a dynamo in our offense.

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Quentin Demps was cut today. Given his familiarity with the position and need at S, do you bring him in on a cheap deal?

Demps > Gilchrist

I don't have a problem in the world burning a few million of our $67 million (and likely to grow w/Allen, Newton, and hopefully at least a restructure on Kareem) on quality depth in 2018.  Enough with explaining away lost seasons "due to injury" when we went into a season lacking starters better yet backups at LT/RT/SS and guys like Dee Virgin, Treston Decoud, Jaelen Strong, Andy Jones, Chad Slade, and Jordan Todman made the opening day roster. We aren't going to be players for comp picks since we aren't losing anyone significant and if you sign more than you give up, you aren't eligible for comps.  This is a great year to even overspend on depth if necessary as we'll have plenty of space for 1/2 year prove-it deals, older vets, or actual NFL players at borderline starting positions like swing tackle, nickle/dime corners, #3 safety, slot receiver, kick returner, 4/3 DT. As far as I'm concerned, backup QB, RB, WR, TE, DE, LB need to be staffed as if they'll end up playing 50% of the season (and #3's 25%) which would still put us way under what these positions played in 2017 .

To be clear, I don't want Q. Demps back to be a starter as I want us going big with Reid, Burnett, Joyner but hopefully Gaine won't follow the Rick Smith model and build secondaries on the fly from spare parts playing his fun little Sept/Oct spreadsheet games.  Demps is a proven commodity in OUR scheme and IMO has a year or two left in him.  He only broke his arm last year, so as long as the wheels check out (he did get roasted early), I'd welcome him as a steadying veteran leader who had a career year just two years ago for us and I suspect he'd love to be back with Crennel. 

I've resigned to the fact that Hal is going to be playing replacement level FS for us another few years, but there is NOT ONE other safety from last years roster who I want back (Gilchrist, Moore, Pleasant, Drummond, Campbell, Decoud).  I am done with the Rick Smith strategy of using 3 or 4 backup safety/CB spots on slow special team tacklers as it simply HAS NOT worked as evidenced by our horrific coverage teams in the RS era AND that these guys inevitably see WAYYY too many snaps both due to injury. #3 safety is a borderline starting position even without injury (Pleasant, Moore, and Drummond played a combined 619 DEFENSIVE SNAPS last year - starting NT DJ Reader played 526, Cole/Scarlett only played 507 even with Cushing/Mercilus lost most of the season).  

If they aren't fast enough to play their position, they should not be on the roster, PERIOD.  Seems to me that speed is pretty critical in coverage teams as well considering the kick returners they are chasing are usually the fastest players on the team.  The practice squad needs to be filled with late round upside guys lacking awareness, bulk, or still learning playbooks like Kyle Fuller or Treston Decoud, except the version of him with quickness and straight line speed that at least has some chance of becoming play speed. If we are in a position where losing a Fuller or Decoud hurts, then Gaine hasn't done his job filling the 53 with guys good enough to play early in September (just put on Lamm/Giacomini week 1 or Burley/Moore week 3 lowlights if you need a reminder).

Archived