Who gets fired first

mtmmike

• 2 weeks later...

This thread seems relevant (in part). We are on a collision course with a 5-6 win season. Despite not playing with our starting quarterback for much of the year, we aren’t going to come out with everybody unscathed as far as the coaching staff and front office. Joe Woods and Prieffer are zombies right now. I like Kevin Stefanski a lot but if things continue the way they are they could definitely consider having somebody else call plays next season. I’m not sure what to say about the front office other than to suggest they ignored some obvious needs going into the season particularly on defense. 

59 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

This thread seems relevant (in part). We are on a collision course with a 5-6 win season. Despite not playing with our starting quarterback for much of the year, we aren’t going to come out with everybody unscathed as far as the coaching staff and front office. Joe Woods and Prieffer are zombies right now. I like Kevin Stefanski a lot but if things continue the way they are they could definitely consider having somebody else call plays next season. I’m not sure what to say about the front office other than to suggest they ignored some obvious needs going into the season particularly on defense. 

How much of ignoring those needs was based on the coaching staff prioritizing positions like CB?  We’ll never know, but that could be part of the equation.

And while we may not have invested 1st rounders, at some point coaches need to be able to extract mediocre production from mid round picks and FAs.  Teams are starting late round picks and UDFAs and are getting better production.

46 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

How much of ignoring those needs was based on the coaching staff prioritizing positions like CB?  We’ll never know, but that could be part of the equation.

And while we may not have invested 1st rounders, at some point coaches need to be able to extract mediocre production from mid round picks and FAs.  Teams are starting late round picks and UDFAs and are getting better production.

I think the problem is that we still haven’t seen production out of these guys that we drafted a couple seasons ago mid-round (or rookies) but we were hoping for that development rolling them out of the starters this season. I’m not excusing the coaching staff, they should be developing guys. But  I don’t think you can bank on players that didn’t look good for the past season or two to be good starters this season. Elliot, Bryan, Togiai, Phillips, Taki, etc. Like, if you had just told me those are the guys we were counting on, on defense on September 1st, I think it would have been irrational for me to think that these guys were studs heading into the season and that we were in good shape out there. On paper there were some obvious weaknesses and we have kind of seeing what we have seen out of those guys up to this point in their careers.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think the problem is that we still haven’t seen production out of these guys that we drafted a couple seasons ago mid-round (or rookies) but we were hoping for that development rolling them out of the starters this season. I’m not excusing the coaching staff, they should be developing guys. But  I don’t think you can bank on players that didn’t look good for the past season or two to be good starters this season. Elliot, Bryan, Togiai, Phillips, Taki, etc. Like, if you had just told me those are the guys we were counting on, on defense on September 1st, I think it would have been irrational for me to think that these guys were studs heading into the season and that we were in good shape out there. On paper there were some obvious weaknesses and we have kind of seeing what we have seen out of those guys up to this point in their careers.

TBH it's both. Berry did indeed fail to address some critical areas, and the defensive coaching staff is not only failing to develop/properly utilize mid round picks, but highly regarded picks and high $ free agents.

• Like 1