NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He also doesn't strike me as the type of owners who is going to be fond of paying someone to sit home while they collect paychecks either.  I'm going based off his most recent comments about wanting a team that plays hard and they're fun to support.  That doesn't sound like their current team.  And as I mentioned, that MASSIVE TPE along with any draft picks in a Durant trade could create a TON of maneuverability for the Nets.  The possibilities are virtually endless.

And you make it sound so black and white.  It's like an onion.  There are layers to this.  The Lakers don't want Josh Harris' contract, and the Nets reportedly don't want to give him up.  The Nets don't want to give up Seth Curry, and reportedly don't want Westbrook.  That's why we're talking about potential 3 team trades.

They're not paying Kyrie to just sit at home, he voided $17M in his salary last season for sitting out. I think regardless of if they get another team involved or not it's going to cost the Lakers 2 first round picks to get a deal done. I don't think they'll move Kyrie until they move Durant in the scenario they run it back.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

They're not paying Kyrie to just sit at home, he voided $17M in his salary last season for sitting out. I think regardless of if they get another team involved or not it's going to cost the Lakers 2 first round picks to get a deal done. I don't think they'll move Kyrie until they move Durant in the scenario they run it back.

Can't recall who reported it, but the Nets were still required to include his contract in the luxury tax calculations.  He's costing Joe Tsai money regardless of whether or not he's on the court.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Last report suggested the Nets didn't have any interest in giving up Seth.

Lakers receive: Kyrie Irving, Josh Richardson

Spurs receive: Russell Westbrook, 2027/2029 1st

Nets receive: 2027/2029 1st

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Or the Spurs can do the noble thing and help the Jazz. Pop loves his prodigee Will Hardy. 

Jazz receive: Jakob Poeltl, Josh Richardson

Spurs receive: Mike Conley, Walker Kessler, 2023 1st (via Minn) 

The Spurs get Kessler who was the 22nd pick this year who'd be another young piece to add during their rebuild and a solid veteran presence in Conley. Conley's due $22M this year and I believe $24M next year but can be waived (only GTD $14M) so they'd basically be getting 2 first round picks to take on his salary.

For the Jazz they'd get two expiring deals that would be instant starters so they could potentially be competitive this season but if things get off to a rocky start we'd have Bojan ($19M), Beverly ($13M), Beasley ($15M), Richardson ($12M), Poeltl ($9M), and NAW ($5M) on expiring deals that could be sold off at the trade deadline. 

Would leave the Jazz with:

PG - Mitchell | Beverly | Butler

SG - Beasley | Clarkson | NAW

SF - Richardson | Bolmaro

PF - Bogdanovic | Vanderbilt | Gay

C -  Poeltl | Udoka 

Edited by NYRaider

According to Brian Windhorst:

When the Nets put Kevin Durant on the markets, the Nets thought there would be a tremendous bidding war. While there's a lot of interest, the bidding war is not hot. Teams have made their offers and don't feel the need to increase them.

After the Gobert trade, Brooklyn raised their price, but GMs have told them they thought it was a major overpay, and they are not willing to offer even a comparable haul for Kevin Durant.

Teams are not trying to outbid each other for Kevin Durant. It makes no sense to sell your house than buy a car, even if that car is a Lamborghini.

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Giving up Seth just so you want Kyrie gone should have FBI pulling up to Nets headquarters and arresting Tsai and Marks.

Lakers fans think that every NBA team should just give up their stars for bad contracts/no draft picks because they're the Lakers, duh. The Nets should give up Kyrie/Seth's expirings to take on Westbrook's expiring because that's what LeBron wants.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Lakers fans think that every NBA team should just give up their stars for bad contracts/no draft picks because they're the Lakers, duh. The Nets should give up Kyrie/Seth's expirings to take on Westbrook's expiring because that's what LeBron wants.

No. The Lakers are just the only team who has expressed a significant amount of interest in Kyrie to get a deal done.

So if the Nets want ANYTHING for Kyrie, it has to be to the Lakers. Or he has proven he will sit.

The Seth/Joe Harris piece of this is just negotiating. Seth isn't a deal breaker for the Lakers, they know what the goal is.

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

No. The Lakers are just the only team who has expressed a significant amount of interest in Kyrie to get a deal done.

So if the Nets want ANYTHING for Kyrie, it has to be to the Lakers. Or he has proven he will sit.

The Seth/Joe Harris piece of this is just negotiating. Seth isn't a deal breaker for the Lakers, they know what the goal is.

If the Nets don't get anything valuable back for Kyrie why not just let his deal expire like they'd be doing with Westbrook? They're not trading him until they figure out what's going to happen with Durant and it seems like the Nets might just cave and extend Kyrie at this point.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If the Nets don't get anything valuable back for Kyrie why not just let his deal expire like they'd be doing with Westbrook? They're not trading him until they figure out what's going to happen with Durant and it seems like the Nets might just cave and extend Kyrie at this point.

If you let the deal expire you lose the asset entirely. This will get done. It's just a matter of when. He's bought a home in LA, he went to a Sparks game last night and was seen out with many Lakers players at Nobu after the game. It's all but done. They're hammering out the details on the Joe Harris/THT and picks piece. I give it another week tops. 

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

If you let the deal expire you lose the asset entirely. This will get done. It's just a matter of when. He's bought a home in LA, he went to a Sparks game last night and was seen out with many Lakers players at Nobu after the game. It's all but done. They're hammering out the details on the Joe Harris/THT and picks piece. I give it another week tops. 

I'd bet money that the Nets don't trade Kyrie before Durant. The roadmap is already clear for what it'd take if they decide to move on and they're likely asking for the only two picks that the Lakers can trade. If they don't receive those picks what's their motivation to take back Russ who makes more and is also an expiring deal?

Betting on the Spurs, who literally never help teams in the West, to eat Russ deal to help lob LeBron  a title for a 1st in 5/7 years is also unrealistic. 

The only players the Lakers are bringing back are LeBron, AD, Russ, THT, and Nunn. So who was he seen with at Nobu?

Edited by NYRaider