NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd bet money that the Nets don't trade Kyrie before Durant. The roadmap is already clear for what it'd take if they decide to move on and they're likely asking for the only two picks that the Lakers can trade. If they don't receive those picks what's their motivation to take back Russ who makes more and is also an expiring deal?

They will get the picks. They're haggling over Joe Harris/Seth Curry. If you get Russ back, you atleast get someone who will play actual games for you. Whether you want that or not is another discussion. Also, Durant probably isn't getting traded. No one will pay the ransom Ainge got for Gobert and the Nets are now realizing what his market it. It's going to be 0.75 cents on the dollar like all trades for elite players. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Betting on the Spurs, who literally never help teams in the West, to eat Russ deal to help lob LeBron a title for a 1st in 5/7 years is also unrealistic. 

The only players the Lakers are bringing back are LeBron, AD, Russ, THT, and Nunn. So who was he seen with at Nobu?

Kendrick Nunn was the only player confirmed there. And the Spurs are in full tank for Wembanyama mode whether Pop likes it or not. Taking on Russ plays into that approach. 

Edited by BStanRamFan

8 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

They will get the picks. They're haggling over Joe Harris/Seth Curry. If you get Russ back, you atleast get someone who will play actual games for you. Whether you want that or not is another discussion. Also, Durant probably isn't getting traded. No one will pay the ransom Ainge got for Gobert and the Nets are now realizing what his market it. It's going to be 0.75 cents on the dollar like all trades for elite players. 

Kendrick Nunn was the only player confirmed there. And the Spurs are in full tank for Wembanyama mode whether Pop likes it or not. Taking on Russ plays into that approach. 

There was a report like two days ago that Harris is super close with the Nets GM/owner and that they're not going to trade him under any circumstance. So the Lakers would be asking the Nets to trade Kyrie and Curry (expiring/$8M deal) for Russ and two firsts in the distant future when the Nets could realistically move Curry to another contending team for a 2023 1st.

The Nets wouldn't be trading for Russ to play games for them, they'd likely buy him out and move on. We've literally just seen AD, George, Butler, etc. get moved for historic hauls full of young players and premium draft capital. And we've literally never seen someone like Durant, who's arguably the best player in the NBA, get traded. 

So 

The Spurs would also be buying Westbrook out so how does it help their tanking approach?

This is your source? lmao

Edited by NYRaider

5 minutes ago, amac said:

No way that’s real

I think it is. Reports were that the Jazz/Raptors were discussing a deal built around OG Anunoby/Gary Trent leading up to the draft but things slowed down once the Durant news broke. The Jazz were also having discussions with the Timberwolves but we didn't really like their offer and wanted Jaden McDaniels back in a deal. The Wolves then called on Durant, the Nets asked for too much, then they called us back and offered the 4 FRP's instead of McDaniels and we had to take it.

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

There was a report like two days ago that Harris is super close with the Nets GM/owner and that they're not going to trade him under any circumstance. So the Lakers would be asking the Nets to trade Kyrie and Curry (expiring/$8M deal) for Russ and two firsts in the distant future when the Nets could realistically move Curry to another contending team for a 2023 1st.

The Nets wouldn't be trading for Russ to play games for them, they'd likely buy him out and move on. We've literally just seen AD, George, Butler, etc. get moved for historic hauls full of young players and premium draft capital. And we've literally never seen someone like Durant, who's arguably the best player in the NBA, get traded. 

So 

The Spurs would also be buying Westbrook out so how does it help their tanking approach?

This is your source? lmao

I see why you talk to yourself on this board. 

AD: heading into prime.

George: Owner with deep pockets trying to make a splash in a win-now city.

Butler: 4 team deal.

Durant is 34 year old emotional basket case with an injury history and 4 years left on his deal. He will get 0.75 cents on the dollar or it will be a team he wouldnt want to be traded to in the first place. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

I see why you talk to yourself on this board. 

AD: heading into prime.

George: Owner with deep pockets trying to make a splash in a win-now city.

Butler: 4 team deal.

Durant is 34 year old emotional basket case with an injury history and 4 years left on his deal. He will get 0.75 cents on the dollar or it will be a team he wouldnt want to be traded to in the first place. 

Can you give me the source on Kyrie being at Nobu? I love that it becomes personal because I'm realistic that the Nets aren't just going to lob the Lakers a star player because it's convenient for the team.

Teams are hesitant to even trade for him and they don't want what the Suns can offer, they'll be out of it this weekend if Ayton makes a decision. The smart money is on KD/Kyrie both being back in Brooklyn next season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Can you give me the source on Kyrie being at Nobu? I love that it becomes personal because I'm realistic that the Nets aren't just going to lob the Lakers a star player because it's convenient for the team.

Teams are hesitant to even trade for him and they don't want what the Suns can offer, they'll be out of it this weekend if Ayton makes a decision. The smart money is on KD/Kyrie both being back in Brooklyn next season.

Just shared what I saw on twitter. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you.

It's not a lob to the Lakers. They have a player proven he's willing to sit out and only one team interested in procuring him. They can hold Kyrie and he wont play or they can get something for him in an expiring deal, 1st round picks, and maybe THT. It's pretty simple.

KD is likely to come back once the Nets realize they won't get a kings ransom for him. 

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Just shared what I saw on twitter. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you.

It's not a lob to the Lakers. They have a player proven he's willing to sit out and only one team interested in procuring him. They can hold Kyrie and he wont play or they can get something for him in an expiring deal, 1st round picks, and maybe THT. It's pretty simple.

KD is likely to come back once the Nets realize they won't get a kings ransom for him. 

The odds a random Lakers twitter account with 1,000 followers is the only person that seen Kyrie at Nobu with current Lakers players are slim to none. 

You act like Kyrie didn't play last year due to basketball reasons or beef with the team, he didn't play because he wasn't vaccinated. The Nets also saved $17M because he chose not to play and would save an additional $36M this upcoming season if he sits out. Technically he hasn't even demanded a trade, his only beef with the Nets has been that he wants an extension and they're not willing to give it to him. If money wasn't a factor for him he would've just opted out and signed the MLE with the Lakers. 

If KD returns then I think the most likely scenario is that Kyrie is back as well. Kyrie lost $17M last season, is on the verge of losing his shoe deal with Nike, and would be set to lose an additional $36M next season if he chooses not to play for them. I'd also wager that if they're unable to trade Durant that keeping Irving, even if it's just for one year, is the best route for them to contend and keep Durant happy.

Edited by NYRaider

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I might have missed it but did Kyrie say he wouldn't play for the Nets?  Or just that he wanted to be traded?  If he isnt going to play, then sure, get a little something and move on.  If he will play his one year with KD, maybe it goes well and they resign him.  At worse he is the same expiring as Westbrook just a little less.  If Kyrie just chooses to not play without an injury, they don't pay him correct?  It essentially is a retirement.  If Westbrook comes they have to pay to buy him out. So it makes sense to just sit with Kyrie if thats really your only option to moving him. 

As for KD, he definitely won't get what the Nets are asking for, and they likely will be stuck with a disgruntled star.  He can either be a professional and just deal with it since he signed the contract, or continue complaining and hurt his trade value even more.  He is becoming a cancer, and teams that are contending dont want that cancer even if it is as great as Durant is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I might have missed it but did Kyrie say he wouldn't play for the Nets?  Or just that he wanted to be traded?  If he isnt going to play, then sure, get a little something and move on.  If he will play his one year with KD, maybe it goes well and they resign him.  At worse he is the same expiring as Westbrook just a little less.  If Kyrie just chooses to not play without an injury, they don't pay him correct?  It essentially is a retirement.  If Westbrook comes they have to pay to buy him out. So it makes sense to just sit with Kyrie if thats really your only option to moving him. 

As for KD, he definitely won't get what the Nets are asking for, and they likely will be stuck with a disgruntled star.  He can either be a professional and just deal with it since he signed the contract, or continue complaining and hurt his trade value even more.  He is becoming a cancer, and teams that are contending dont want that cancer even if it is as great as Durant is. 

If money wasn't an issue for Kyrie he could've literally just opted out and signed with the Lakers. He's likely losing his shoe deal after this year due to the off the court issues already and sacrificing an additional $36M would be borderline psychotic  behavior.

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't touch him if I am the Warriors.  They have some aging vets as is so future picks (anything after the next two years) is risky.  They also have that unusual mix of very good youth mixed in that has time to develop naturally without being forced into game action.  I get that KD is better than Wiggins and Wiseman combined but knowing the toxic personality, why bring that in when you just won and have Wiseman returning and Kuminga/Moody have a year of development?  It also would likely mean not being able to resign Jordan Poole when his deal is up.  

I can see why the others would.  But not if it means tearing your team apart.  If you can get him at a discount, do it.  If it costs you Booker/Bam/Barnes+OG or whatever, I wouldn't do it.   And if I am the Nets I don't move him unless I am getting one of those guys or some other youth but Miami and the Suns don't have that.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't touch him if I am the Warriors.  They have some aging vets as is so future picks (anything after the next two years) is risky.  They also have that unusual mix of very good youth mixed in that has time to develop naturally without being forced into game action.  I get that KD is better than Wiggins and Wiseman combined but knowing the toxic personality, why bring that in when you just won and have Wiseman returning and Kuminga/Moody have a year of development?  It also would likely mean not being able to resign Jordan Poole when his deal is up.  

I can see why the others would.  But not if it means tearing your team apart.  If you can get him at a discount, do it.  If it costs you Booker/Bam/Barnes+OG or whatever, I wouldn't do it.   And if I am the Nets I don't move him unless I am getting one of those guys or some other youth but Miami and the Suns don't have that.  

I don't think there's a ton of truth to the Warriors rumors unless the Nets were willing to take something like Wiggins/Wiseman/Moody. 

There are really only a couple of teams that are realistically a title contender if they trade for Durant and only one of them (Toronto) can realistically give the Nets what they want and remain in contention, that's their biggest hurdle. The Nets literally can't trade for Booker or Bam because they already traded for Ben Simmons. Even if those teams were offering those guys a deal would still be very difficult because Ben is reportedly viewed as a negative asset at this point so they'd have to sell him for pennies on the dollar. They reportedly don't want Ayton and the best Miami can do is a package built around Herro/2023 1st/2028 1st.

If the Suns are willing to do Bridges/Ayton/Johnson plus their 2023/2025/2027/2029 1sts unprotected + pick swaps I think that the Nets have to take it or just accept that they have to deal with a disgruntled Durant. The picks in the short term likely won't be worth much but the Suns could get pretty bad very quickly with Durant/CP3.

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think there's a ton of truth to the Warriors rumors unless the Nets were willing to take something like Wiggins/Wiseman/Moody. 

There are really only a couple of teams that are realistically a title contender if they trade for Durant and only one of them (Toronto) can realistically give the Nets what they want and remain in contention, that's their biggest hurdle. The Nets literally can't trade for Booker or Bam because they already traded for Ben Simmons. Even if those teams were offering those guys a deal would still be very difficult because Ben is reportedly viewed as a negative asset at this point so they'd have to sell him for pennies on the dollar. They reportedly don't want Ayton and the best Miami can do is a package built around Herro/2023 1st/2028 1st.

I wouldn't do that if I was the Nets.  Maybe for the Nets if Kuminga is there instead of Moody but then I wouldnt as the Warriors.  It would be selling the future for 2 more years of winning.  Which isnt awful but at the same time potentially toxic.  I get Wiggins is a free agent after this year but if they want to keep him and spend the money, I dont see him leaving.  

I agree on the others.  I think the Nets best option is to just make them play together for a year.  If they lose out on Kyrie, oh well, or try to flip at the deadline if you want future assets and things arent gelling.  Maybe Ben regains value and is either worth keeping or is tradable next year.  Maybe all is well and they figure it out and this is all just offseason fluff.  But trading KD for a package of Herro and some picks is just stupid IMO.  I agree the Raptors could give some nice pieces but again, I wouldn't trade the ROY on a nice contract for 4 years and other young talent to get KD.  And If I am the nets I am not trading him without Barnes or Siakam coming back with OG and picks.