UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

How does it work with playoff teams that are not on a bye? Do we have to wait for them to be eliminated?

I think you can go to them on Tuesday or whatever the off day is, with permission.

So Nagy I think we could interview on Tuesday the 2nd if we are given permission by the Chiefs.

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

It's Chicago.

The usual crew:

Harbaugh

Gruden

Cowher

Singletary

Only one has any reason to even be looked at as a HC, but Chucky, Chin, and the Samurai will be all around the outlets as "possible candidates."

You know Gruden loved Trubisky... and Sanchez... and Tebow... and all but maybe 2-3 QBs since the 1980s.

One of my favorite all-time moments on this forum is still madmike44 leaving in shame because he ranted so hard about how Hanie was a good QB and Singletary was an amazing head coach.

43 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think you can go to them on Tuesday or whatever the off day is, with permission.

So Nagy I think we could interview on Tuesday the 2nd if we are given permission by the Chiefs.

Assistant coach following a win or loss in the Wild Card round

If an assistant coach’s team loses in the Wild Card round, the candidate can interview with any team that goes through the proper channels to secure an interview. However, if the assistant coach’s team wins, teams need approval for an interview, which has to take place before the divisional round.

So it looks like the games being played on 1/6 and 1/7 are wildcard games. We can interview candidates from winning and losing teams that played that week after their game. This means that the week immediately following our final game 12/31/17, we can interview anyone that is on a team that has made the playoffs and has a first round bye (with permission).

I think we're fine, then. Assuming we want Flip, we should be able to get him the first week of 2018. If we want Nagy, as it currently stands, we would have to wait until the 7th or 8th at the earliest to do so.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The timing is also why I would fire John Fox on Tuesday after the Browns game and I have an interview set up with my #1 target on Monday or Tuesday of the 1st playoff week.

If Nagy is my guy I would be in Kansas City on Monday the 1st or Tuesday the 2nd, whichever the Chiefs have off.

I don't know if this matters much but Monday the 1st being a Holiday and all might make it harder to set up interviews, etc.  I wouldn't expect an interview to be lined up on that day or for Fox to be fired after this weekend over Christmas.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I don't know if this matters much but Monday the 1st being a Holiday and all might make it harder to set up interviews, etc.  I wouldn't expect an interview to be lined up on that day or for Fox to be fired after this weekend over Christmas.

NYD is a drinker’s holiday though. Different than Christmas. 

If it was me and I was set on not firing him during the season I’d fire Fox Sunday afternoon after the finale. Realistically they can tell him before the game even if it’s not announced publicly. In that case they can get logistics done Sunday to start interviewing Monday. There is nothing to say it can’t be known by 3:30pm on 12/31 that he’s out. We can have our candidate of choice on the tarmac by dinner time Sunday night and in Chicago for an 8am interview Monday. 

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I do not think it is an NFL holiday.

I agree with AZ lets get out this bye week and really get work done. Then you only really have Nagy and maybe Laflear to wait on.

I think in this market where there appears to be more openings then real stand out candidates that getting a guy in the building first may carry some weight. Especially a team like the Bears that are selling a young QB. Who knows if Trubisky is even going to be around 2 weeks into January. Most guys are on a beach.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think it is an NFL holiday.

I agree with AZ lets get out this bye week and really get work done. Then you only really have Nagy and maybe Laflear to wait on.

I think in this market where there appears to be more openings then real stand out candidates that getting a guy in the building first may carry some weight. Especially a team like the Bears that are selling a young QB. Who knows if Trubisky is even going to be around 2 weeks into January. Most guys are on a beach.

I would have to think Pace would tell Trubisky to be available at a moment's notice. He has to be involved in this process.

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think he will be involved in the process, but nothing is keeping him at Halas Hall after January 1st.

The guy practically lives at HH from all the reports, and he is smart enough to know how important this hire is to his career trajectory. He’d be a fool NOT to be around. 

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The guy practically lives at HH from all the reports, and he is smart enough to know how important this hire is to his career trajectory. He’d be a fool NOT to be around. 

I think he will make himself available.
I think asking him to be on call most of January seems like a little much.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think he will make himself available.
I think asking him to be on call most of January seems like a little much.

I'm sure he'll know the schedule, he lives in Ohio so it's not like he's on the other side of the world.

Talked to Gabriel again last night and he said that interviewing a candidate first doesn't necessarily have any benefit, you still need to have a connection between the GM and coach first and foremost.

The game against the browns is a must win for the organization.  Hicks is saying it won't happen that they won't be the team to lose to the browns.  I personally think this a must win for Ryan Pace.  The bears have so much reputation on the line in this game. 

53 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

The game against the browns is a must win for the organization.  Hicks is saying it won't happen that they won't be the team to lose to the browns.  I personally think this a must win for Ryan Pace.  The bears have so much reputation on the line in this game. 

I think the Browns game could be a tremendous embarrassment for the organization and is going to open them up for weeks of fan anger and abuse, reporter criticism, and hopefully George rethinks being chairman.

It will not have any impact beyond what is happening already.

Archived