UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

3 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Shurmur is going to be really tough to sell to the fans. The line is going to be, “we’re getting a former Browns coach?!”

Of the four offensive candidates, I think the easiest sells, in order, are: Nagy, DeFilippo, McDaniels, Shurmur.

Yeah but fans will be easy to sell once wins come. I just want to watch the Bears in January, see some postseason runs. Whoever can secure that is a king in Chicago.

But regardless of how hard a sell it could be at first, everyone in a few years talks like it was the easy, obvious choice of course. lol

Doing some digging... apparently teams will offer jobs to head coaches "under the table" if they hit it off in their first interview. An example is Dan Quinn, Kyle Shanahan was hired to be their OC on Jan 18th and they hired Richard Smith to be their DC on Jan 26th. Quinn didn't get his 2nd interview until Jan 19th and was officially hired on Feb 2nd.

Apparently the 2nd interview is just to put finishing touches on things... answer any final questions, finalize who is going to be on their staff, things like that.

Gruden is apparently targeting Greg Olson to be his OC which could effect DeFilippo plans since it was rumored he could be a target for him...

Also very interesting news coming out of NE that BB was forced by Kraft and Brady to trade Jimmy G and that there is real tension there...the article below even suggests that this might be Bill's last year...how does that effect McDaniels and even Patricia...

http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/page/hotread180105/beginning-end-new-england-patriots-robert-kraft-tom-brady-bill-belichick-internal-power-struggle

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Gruden is apparently targeting Greg Olson to be his OC which could effect DeFilippo plans since it was rumored he could be a target for him...

Also very interesting news coming out of NE that BB was forced by Kraft and Brady to trade Jimmy G and that there is real tension there...the article below even suggests that this might be Bill's last year...how does that effect McDaniels and even Patricia...

http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/page/hotread180105/beginning-end-new-england-patriots-robert-kraft-tom-brady-bill-belichick-internal-power-struggle

Are the post-Brady Pats a good place for a new HC? A year ago I think it was a much clearer yes. 

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Are the post-Brady Pats a good place for a new HC? A year ago I think it was a much clearer yes. 

Of course it wouldn't be as good but that culture would still carry over and would more than likely be better that most of the situations they would walk into cold.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Of course it wouldn't be as good but that culture would still carry over and would more than likely be better that most of the situations they would walk into cold.

I don’t disagree. Without a QB in waiting now though the future there is a lot more dicey, winning culture or not. I could easily see a post-Jordan Bulls kind of downturn there once BB and Brady are gone too. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t disagree. Without a QB in waiting now though the future there is a lot more dicey, winning culture or not. I could easily see a post-Jordan Bulls kind of downturn there once BB and Brady are gone too. 

No doubt...losing both at the same time which is what they have also spoken about would be a disaster for that franchise...one at a time they still have a chance but not both.

Spiegel from the Score said that Greg Gabriel was talking to people around the league about Defilippo and Nagy.

They said both May struggle to get a staff together because of limited time in the league.

He said his guy in Philly echoed everything that people have heard about DeFilippo, but added he might be a year or two away from really coming into his own.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Spiegel from the Score said that Greg Gabriel was talking to people around the league about Defilippo and Nagy.

They said both May struggle to get a staff together because of limited time in the league.

He said his guy in Philly echoed everything that people have heard about DeFilippo, but added he might be a year or two away from really coming into his own.

That's the rub, though. Make him an OC this year and he's gone a year or two years later, most likely.

Staff-wise... don't think it would be any worse than what Shanahan put together in San Fran. McVay hasn't been in the league long and was fine.

Here's a staff I could put together for Flip right now:

HC - John DeFilippo

OC - Greg Olson (if that doesn't work, Greg Knapp)

QB - Todd Downing

DC - Vic Fangio (if that doesn't work, Mike Pettine)

DB - Ed Donatell

ST - Who cares

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Can we please hire someone with a personality.

While I get what you're saying, winning the press conference doesn't mean a damned thing. Can he coach and can he lead a team?

Archived