UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Can we please hire someone with a personality.

I don't even think it is about personality...I think it's about perception...retreads always come with an air of "what will be different?" about them...he failed in two years in Cleveland (yes most do) but what is he going to bring now that he didn't bring there? Because as I said before I never see him being more than a 7-9...8-8...9-7 type of HC who will keep us competitive and might get us to the playoffs as a one and done every now and then...is that enough? Personally no.

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

Staff-wise... don't think it would be any worse than what Shanahan put together in San Fran. McVay hasn't been in the league long and was fine.

Shanahan and McVay are NFL legacies who had a built in network not available to most others.  I think their situations were a little different.

4 minutes ago, Mudderfudder77 said:

Shanahan and McVay are NFL legacies who had a built in network not available to most others.  I think their situations were a little different.

Have you looked at Shanahan's staff in San Fran? It's dog****.

Wade Phillips was a tremendous get for McVay, but Matt LaFleur was not wanted by Atlanta when McVay went calling for him.

I'm just saying, I don't think youth in the league/contacts is going to be as big of an issue as some are making it out to be.

42 minutes ago, G08 said:

Have you looked at Shanahan's staff in San Fran? It's dog****.

Wade Phillips was a tremendous get for McVay, but Matt LaFleur was not wanted by Atlanta when McVay went calling for him.

I'm just saying, I don't think youth in the league/contacts is going to be as big of an issue as some are making it out to be.

I agree.  If for no other reason than (like the rest of the world) all these guys are far more connected than ever and I would surmise that the younger guys in particular are very good at creating and building networks. And the older guys know (or can quickly find out) who the hot young bucks are and who they might want to work with.

1 minute ago, IotaNet said:

I agree.  If for no other reason than (like the rest of the world) all these guys are far more connected than ever and I would surmise that the younger guys in particular are very good at creating and building networks. And the older guys know (or can quickly find out) who the hot young bucks are and who they might want to work with.

Not to mention, these people WANT jobs!

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Can we please hire someone with a personality.

If I were in New England I would of thought the same thing when they hired Bill Bellick. "This guy failed in Cleveland and then he bailed on the Jets job to coach us?" "He's got zero personality and looks like a schlub."

1 hour ago, G08 said:

That's the rub, though. Make him an OC this year and he's gone a year or two years later, most likely.

Staff-wise... don't think it would be any worse than what Shanahan put together in San Fran. McVay hasn't been in the league long and was fine.

Here's a staff I could put together for Flip right now:

HC - John DeFilippo

OC - Greg Olson (if that doesn't work, Greg Knapp)

QB - Todd Downing

DC - Vic Fangio (if that doesn't work, Mike Pettine)

DB - Ed Donatell

ST - Who cares

Greg Olson is going to be Gruden's OC.

As for an OC... what do you think of the name Greg Knapp? He's been around the league, worked under the following offensive minds (all WCO, I believe):

Steve Mariucci
Gary Kubiak
Marc Trestman (vomits)
Adam Gase

52 years old, 21 years in the league, was not retained once Vance Joseph was hired so he's twiddling his thumbs. I don't need him calling plays, BUT these two have a history together and DeFilippo cut his teeth under Knapp's scheme. Knapp has also worked with the following QBs:

Steve Young
Jeff Garcia
Michael Vick
Matt Schaub
Josh McCown
Jamarcus Russell (vomits)
Matt Hasselbeck
Peyton Manning
Trevor Siemian

HC - John DeFilippo
OC - Greg Knapp
QB - who cares
DC - Fangio, Pettine
DB - Ed Donatell (no reason whatsoever to let him leave)
ST - who cares

1 minute ago, IronMike84 said:

QB, ST - you probably should care.

I don't. Either does San Francisco: Rich Scangarello is their QB coach, spent the previous season at Wagner College. Their ST coach? Our very own Richard Hightower, special teams assistant last season.

20 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't. Either does San Francisco: Rich Scangarello is their QB coach, spent the previous season at Wagner College. Their ST coach? Our very own Richard Hightower, special teams assistant last season.

Just because you’ve never heard of those guys doesn’t mean Kyle Shanahan didn’t put any thought into hiring them. Good coaches, leaders, and people care about every last detail.

Just now, IronMike84 said:

Just because you’ve never heard of those guys doesn’t mean Kyle Shanahan didn’t put any thought into hiring them. Good coaches, leaders, and people care about every last detail.

Ah. Ok. Wagner College churns out elite NFL coaches, man.

Just now, IronMike84 said:

So by that logic, every NFL team should just draft players from Alabama and they’ll be set. Easy.

I was talking about the QB coach that was taken from there, but if that's the next step in your thought process then enjoy!

Archived