Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

MPJ was a tough call. He had a back injury, barely played in college, looked terrible when he did, and is known for being a bad defender. The size/skill/athleticism is off the charts but I think its hard to justify taking someone that high when theres so much risk involved.

Its obvious his talent level is very high but I'm pretty skeptical he has a great career given his history. I'd still say its 50-50 he has a top-8 career from his draft class. Theres a few guys who are definitely more reliable. Given hindsight I'm absolutely taking Luka, Ayton, JJJ, Trae, and SGA over him. After that it gets tough given what I'm willing to risk for someone with his injury history but at that point I'd start to roll the dice. 

Sexton at the least is a highly productive scorer. Its not like we took Knox or something. 

8 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

MPJ was a tough call. He had a back injury, barely played in college, looked terrible when he did, and is known for being a bad defender. The size/skill/athleticism is off the charts but I think its hard to justify taking someone that high when theres so much risk involved.

Its obvious his talent level is very high but I'm pretty skeptical he has a great career given his history. I'd still say its 50-50 he has a top-8 career from his draft class. Theres a few guys who are definitely more reliable. Given hindsight I'm absolutely taking Luka, Ayton, JJJ, Trae, and SGA over him. After that it gets tough given what I'm willing to risk for someone with his injury history but at that point I'd start to roll the dice. 

Sexton at the least is a highly productive scorer. Its not like we took Knox or something. 

At the very least Sexton will be a perennial 6MOY candidate his entire career if he was moved to that role.  MPJ's worst is he has another back injury and is out of the league, his worst non-injury status is Andrew Wiggins, though his best outcome is perennial MVP candidate which is much higher than Sexton's best case scenario.

Overall I'm still happy with Sexton.  Garland on the other hand... 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We drafted Sexton and we’re still rebuilding. MPJ had the highest upside by far. 

He did but he carried the most risk of any player in the draft. If the Cavs took him and he busted or got injured again in his first year or two it would have set the Cavs back even further.

At least the Nuggets had Murray/Jokic already and Porter was more of a lottery ticket for them

We are also only talking about Porter based on how he looked in the bubble. Pre-bubble he was a 15 mpg bench player who looked promising but didn’t look special. Our young guys haven’t gotten that opportunity unfortunately to show what they worked on over last few months. Sexton improves considerably over the course of the season. I’d really like to see what he can do. Garland was injured and struggled in a bad system but with his handle, shot, and feel he can be a special offensive weapon. 

this long break is going to be great for our guys development just like it was for MpJ, we just haven’t seen it in action yet. 

• Like 1

Roger said it best, he’s playing in a perfectly controlled environment with zero crowd or road hostility right now. Heck, even playing with a home crowd can be a problem if you get too juiced up. He also had a long break and was able to get more practice time in.

10 hours ago, roger murdock said:

We are also only talking about Porter based on how he looked in the bubble. Pre-bubble he was a 15 mpg bench player who looked promising but didn’t look special. Our young guys haven’t gotten that opportunity unfortunately to show what they worked on over last few months. Sexton improves considerably over the course of the season. I’d really like to see what he can do. Garland was injured and struggled in a bad system but with his handle, shot, and feel he can be a special offensive weapon. 

this long break is going to be great for our guys development just like it was for MpJ, we just haven’t seen it in action yet. 

I didn't really find Garland's shot, handle, or feel for the game to be anything special this year, though I'm going to give him a benefit of the doubt due to still recovering from his injury since I personally know that knee injuries can take longer to recover from than the typical timeline, even for those in great shape.  That said I still don't think he'll ever be better than a Jeff Teague caliber of player who will get 1-2 All-Star selections and be a pretty good player for a long time.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

I didn't really find Garland's shot, handle, or feel for the game to be anything special this year, though I'm going to give him a benefit of the doubt due to still recovering from his injury since I personally know that knee injuries can take longer to recover from than the typical timeline, even for those in great shape.  That said I still don't think he'll ever be better than a Jeff Teague caliber of player who will get 1-2 All-Star selections and be a pretty good player for a long time.

I dont disagree with that at all. I think next year will be fun and just adding whoever like Edwards/Ball/Wiseman/Deni to the roster will make it even better.

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont disagree with that at all. I think next year will be fun and just adding whoever like Edwards/Ball/Wiseman/Deni to the roster will make it even better.

I really think Ball isn't even on the radar and Edwards is probably going to be based on if they see him as a guard or a forward.  Wiseman/Okongwu are both options I think are going to be high on their board depending on how much Drummond would cost for an extension/how much they really want to do it.  Outside of that there is also Devin Vassell and Isaac Okoro as some pretty good options if we are picking 6th.  Can't wait to see where we actually fall in the lottery and the possibilities from there, not to mention if they decide to pick up later 1st round picks.  Guys like Jaden McDaniels, Jalen Smith, Aleksej Pokusevski, etc could all be potentially great pick-ups.

6 minutes ago, Raves said:

I really think Ball isn't even on the radar and Edwards is probably going to be based on if they see him as a guard or a forward.  Wiseman/Okongwu are both options I think are going to be high on their board depending on how much Drummond would cost for an extension/how much they really want to do it.  Outside of that there is also Devin Vassell and Isaac Okoro as some pretty good options if we are picking 6th.  Can't wait to see where we actually fall in the lottery and the possibilities from there, not to mention if they decide to pick up later 1st round picks.  Guys like Jaden McDaniels, Jalen Smith, Aleksej Pokusevski, etc could all be potentially great pick-ups.

Yeah I really like Okongwu a lot. Dont kill me but just watching his games/highlights I think I like him better than Wiseman. He is much more refined and has NBA level footwork/post moves. I view Vassell as the perfect option if we get completely screwed and get #6. Lots to like about Okoro but his severe lack of offensive stability is worrying.

From everything I have read the Cavs are most linked to Deni/Wiseman for whatever thats worth.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah I really like Okongwu a lot. Dont kill me but just watching his games/highlights I think I like him better than Wiseman. He is much more refined and has NBA level footwork/post moves. I view Vassell as the perfect option if we get completely screwed and get #6. Lots to like about Okoro but his severe lack of offensive stability is worrying.

From everything I have read the Cavs are most linked to Deni/Wiseman for whatever thats worth.

Well Okongwu is most definitely the more refined player right now with a floor that is already TT at his best IMO but I think his ceiling is DeAndre Jordan with an actual offensive game.  Wiseman has a floor of out of the league but a ceiling of KAT that can play defense.  I like Vassell if they think he or KPJ can play SF to get Cedi to the bench, though Vassell will need to add strength to do that.  Okoro I think will enter the league able to be a dominant defensive wing but will need to improve his shot, though considering how well Sexton and others have improved their shot with the Cavs, I would give Okoro a better chance to do so than on some other teams.

I do love the idea of either Wiseman or Deni though.  I've been very high on Deni for a long time due to his overall skillset.  I don't think he'll ever be an MVP candidate like some of the other players might be, but I think he's probably the player that could join the Cavs and help them make the biggest improvement from day 1 with how what he can do fits with what the team needs.