PC Gamers and Tech

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Yeah.   I checked everything.   I think changing my GPU really threw something off, and I was having some other issues as well.

I ordered a Ryzen 7 5800x3d and Im doing a fresh install of Windows this weekend.    I should get better performance out my 6700xt with a clean install and more powerful CPU.

I have the 5800x3d as well.  Beast of a cpu still and compares well in gaming to other top cpus. Just update your bios before installing it just to make sure you’re all good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Squanchy said:

I have the 5800x3d as well.  Beast of a cpu still and compares well in gaming to other top cpus. Just update your bios before installing it just to make sure you’re all good. 

Well, here is the thing now.   

I was watching another video and it said that the 5800x3d may be a little overpowered for the 6700xt.   Plus, if I do that, Im probably going to have to buy another CPU cooler since I read that mine probably wont be great since it the x3d runs pretty damn hot.   I already had to buy a new PSU.    Not that Im not willing to, but I was considering returning the 5800x3d and either just going with the 5800x or even the 5600x.     Still not sure what to do.

15 hours ago, 43M said:

Well, here is the thing now.   

I was watching another video and it said that the 5800x3d may be a little overpowered for the 6700xt.   Plus, if I do that, Im probably going to have to buy another CPU cooler since I read that mine probably wont be great since it the x3d runs pretty damn hot.   I already had to buy a new PSU.    Not that Im not willing to, but I was considering returning the 5800x3d and either just going with the 5800x or even the 5600x.     Still not sure what to do.

My previous cpu was the 5600x.  During gaming they both damn near run at the same wattage and temps.  

I am running a 360 aio and the temps rarely go over 70c and the cpu rarely hits even 80 watts while gaming.  I am rocking a 4090 so I’m not entirely sure how that affects the cpu usage overall.  You don’t need something super beefy to cool it.  If you have something currently that’s not super generic or low profile it’ll work.  I’m sure you can get by with a hyper 212 tbh.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squanchy said:

Oh and as far as the 5800x3d being too “overpowered” for your gpu.  Not really.  Especially depending on resolution.  Maybe for 1080p but 1440p the gpu should max out and the cpu then pushing frames.  

Thanks for all the info.   Not sure what Im going to do.

How does the 4090 work with the 5800x3d?   Seems like its underpowered for that GPU (then again, what isnt).

Was going to go for a higher end card, but most games I play are from 2020 or older.   By the time I play games that came out post 2020, I will likely upgrade again.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 43M said:

How does the 4090 work with the 5800x3d?   Seems like its underpowered for that GPU (then again, what isnt).

Was going to go for a higher end card, but most games I play are from 2020 or older.   By the time I play games that came out post 2020, I will likely upgrade again.

I got the 4090 to sort of “future proof” myself. I was always upgrading 80 series basically. 1070 ti to 2080 to 3080. With the difference in power between the 4080 and 4090 as well as the price of the 4080 being so damn high I figured **** it might as well spend the extra bits and be able to skip a generation or 2. 

As far as performance I play mostly in 1440p ultrawide.   I play on my 4k monitor if there’s no ultrawide.  4k there’s not going to be some insane difference between the 5800x3d and the 7800x3d (probably the best gaming cpu).  At 1440p other chips are better but nothing to make me upgrade with the next generation or so.  

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 43M said:

5800x 3D is one of the best gaming CPUs out there. Only reason to look at a different CPU would be if you had a specific use-case that benefited from many more cores. Outside of that, it's fantastic.

Was going to go for a higher end card,

How much higher end can you go than a 4090 lol

1 hour ago, elevators_rule said:

5800x 3D is one of the best gaming CPUs out there. Only reason to look at a different CPU would be if you had a specific use-case that benefited from many more cores. Outside of that, it's fantastic.

Yeah, thats what I was reading.    I may keep it, but Im going to have to invest in a better cooler.      I have a Noctua -u12s, which has been great for my 3600, but I heard its not enough for the 5800x3d to keep the temps down.     I just have to find a good one to pair with it.

1 hour ago, elevators_rule said:

How much higher end can you go than a 4090 lol

I was speaking a higher end FOR ME.     I got a 6700xt....just a mid range-ish card.

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Yeah, thats what I was reading.    I may keep it, but Im going to have to invest in a better cooler.      I have a Noctua -u12s, which has been great for my 3600, but I heard its not enough for the 5800x3d to keep the temps down.     I just have to find a good one to pair with it.

I was speaking a higher end FOR ME.     I got a 6700xt....just a mid range-ish card.

Ahhh, that makes sense. The 6000 series AMD GPUs are some of the best they've put out in the past decade. I've made multiple builds with them for people; they're a good choice 👍.

I also have a Noctua U12s, but only a 5600x CPU, so not much more needed. I imagine you can just upgrade the cooler to the U12A or D12 if you wanted for best cooling (although you can probably get something else for cheaper if you looked around a bit).

2 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

Ahhh, that makes sense. The 6000 series AMD GPUs are some of the best they've put out in the past decade. I've made multiple builds with them for people; they're a good choice 👍.

I also have a Noctua U12s, but only a 5600x CPU, so not much more needed. I imagine you can just upgrade the cooler to the U12A or D12 if you wanted for best cooling (although you can probably get something else for cheaper if you looked around a bit).

Yeah...Im liking the 6700xt.   Had alot of great reviews and works well for me...but thats why I want to upgrade my CPU.   Love the 3600, but its going to hold the GPU back if I start playing more demanding titles.

I heard if you undervolt the 5800x3d, it helps keep the power drawn at a minimum and would probably allow me to use the u12s with it, but I just want to be safe with a $300 CPU.   😎

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Yeah...Im liking the 6700xt.   Had alot of great reviews and works well for me...but thats why I want to upgrade my CPU.   Love the 3600, but its going to hold the GPU back if I start playing more demanding titles.

I heard if you undervolt the 5800x3d, it helps keep the power drawn at a minimum and would probably allow me to use the u12s with it, but I just want to be safe with a $300 CPU.   😎

I’m curious what video did you watch that said the 5800x3d is some crazy hot cpu?

Aside from gaming performance one of the things I love about that cpu is it’s relatively low wattage in games.  Like I’ve said I’ve never seen it hit 90 watts while gaming in over the year I’ve had it. 

Does it run hot?  Compared to the 3600 maybe slightly more.  It definitely idles hotter. Don’t expect anything in the 20s or even 30s while idling.  But it rarely even hits 75c while gaming.  During shader comp and install/loading it can get cranked up like any other cpu. 

But this thing runs fine compared to like a 200 watt intel chip.  You don’t need that much of an upgrade.  If your case can fit it a 280 mm aio would crush it. A 240 mm would do great and a slightly beefier air cooler with do great as well.