PC Gamers and Tech

59 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

All my fans are exhaust to help get the hot air out. Ive never seen a build with the fan logos not facing inward towards the components to I just figured all extra fans should be exhaust

You need intake fans on one side and exhaust fans on the other side of your case. You want to maximize the volume of air moving through the case. Having all exhaust fans means the fans are basically fighting each other instead of working together.

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

You need intake fans on one side and exhaust fans on the other side of your case. You want to maximize the volume of air moving through the case. Having all exhaust fans means the fans are basically fighting each other instead of working together.

Yeah these are the ones I have, though when I bought them a year ago they were more like $65 for 3 fans lol Im might get another pack of 3 since they are so cheap now and put them on the bottom, flip them upside down so that they are intake 

https://www.amazon.com/ID-COOLING-XF-12025-ARGB-TRIO-Management-Addressable-Connector/dp/B08PYPQ8SB/ref=sr_1_5?crid=11SOEQ6B3O4&keywords=cooling+fans&qid=1688749371&sprefix=cooled+fans%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-5

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah these are the ones I have, though when I bought them a year ago they were more like $65 for 3 fans lol Im might get another pack of 3 since they are so cheap now and put them on the bottom, flip them upside down so that they are intake 

https://www.amazon.com/ID-COOLING-XF-12025-ARGB-TRIO-Management-Addressable-Connector/dp/B08PYPQ8SB/ref=sr_1_5?crid=11SOEQ6B3O4&keywords=cooling+fans&qid=1688749371&sprefix=cooled+fans%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-5

I’m not familiar with the brand but they are cheap for a reason.  And they’re 3-pin so there’s  no pwm so you don’t have control over their rpm hence you won’t have control over their noise level. 

Do you need/want rgb or doesn’t matter?

Edited by Squanchy

14 minutes ago, Squanchy said:

I’m not familiar with the brand but they are cheap for a reason.  And they’re 3-pin so there’s  no pwm so you don’t have control over their rpm hence you won’t have control over their noise level. 

Do you need/want rgb or doesn’t matter?

ahh I never realized thats what 4 pin vs 3 pin meant. Yeah they are always at 600rpm. Im a RGB fiend lol so I would prefer if they were all RGB because, hey--whats the point of having a expensive setup if it cant change colors 🤣

The one thing Im remembering is that I have to open this thing back up and see how many connections I have left and if all these will even fit. I have so many wires taking up spots with the cpu cooler, strimers and 3 fans already in there on the side that Im not sure if I have open spots to put all these extra fans.

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

ahh I never realized thats what 4 pin vs 3 pin meant. Yeah they are always at 600rpm. Im a RGB fiend lol so I would prefer if they were all RGB because, hey--whats the point of having a expensive setup if it cant change colors 🤣

The one thing Im remembering is that I have to open this thing back up and see how many connections I have left and if all these will even fit. I have so many wires taking up spots with the cpu cooler, strimers and 3 fans already in there on the side that Im not sure if I have open spots to put all these extra fans.

Depending on how much you want to spend to replace them if that’s what you decide the be quiet light wings are good.  Or the coolermaster master fans are a decent slightly cheaper option. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Updating my GPU from a rx580 to an rx6700xt.    Was going to go all out and build a new rig next year, but dont think its the right time.    Just wanted to beef up a little bit, and the 6700xt is probably about as high as I can go on my R5 3600 without major bottlenecking.

Also ordered a new monitor.   My current one is 4k but the refresh rate is terrible.    Got a 32 inch, 1440p/165hz Acer Nitro.    

On 10/4/2023 at 3:30 AM, 43M said:

Updating my GPU from a rx580 to an rx6700xt.    Was going to go all out and build a new rig next year, but dont think its the right time.    Just wanted to beef up a little bit, and the 6700xt is probably about as high as I can go on my R5 3600 without major bottlenecking.

Also ordered a new monitor.   My current one is 4k but the refresh rate is terrible.    Got a 32 inch, 1440p/165hz Acer Nitro.    

Ayye I believe that is also the monitors I have. I have 2 Acer Nitros 27" that have a 165hz refresh rate. The problem I ran into was actually bypassing some system rules to allow them to perform at 165hz. You have to almost jailbreak them to perform at that level lol They didnt come native, but you had to overclock them to be that rate. Sort of weird.

I have a feeling Im going to have to do the same next year. At least with my CPU. It was from a prebuilt Asus I got and is a 11th gen Intel i7-11700. Im not nearly tech nerdy enough to know if that is good or bad, I do know that it is 2-3 years old and was probably a mid-level CPU at the time.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

Anyone have any idea why a game(s) would DROP in FPS after my GPU upgrade?

I upgraded from a rx580 8GB and 16GB of RAM to 6700xt 12GB with 32 GB of RAM....and my framerates on a couple games dropped.   It went from 60FPS to 30FPS.    

As a note...

I uninstalled and reinstalled all my GPU drivers. 

I checked all my display settings and everything is fine.

Its not happening on every game.

On 10/13/2023 at 1:15 AM, 43M said:

Anyone have any idea why a game(s) would DROP in FPS after my GPU upgrade?

I upgraded from a rx580 8GB and 16GB of RAM to 6700xt 12GB with 32 GB of RAM....and my framerates on a couple games dropped.   It went from 60FPS to 30FPS.    

As a note...

I uninstalled and reinstalled all my GPU drivers. 

I checked all my display settings and everything is fine.

Its not happening on every game.

I just switched over to AMD and there were a ton of issues with old drivers causing conflicts. I had to actually use;

https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/

but the AMD utility might work too

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

* I uninstalled and installed drivers normally at first and there were probs

Edited by nagahide13

15 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I just switched over to AMD and there were a ton of issues with old drivers causing conflicts. I had to actually use;

https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/

but the AMD utility might work too

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

* I uninstalled and installed drivers normally at first and there were probs

Yep...did that.   Still having some issues.

So I am upgrading my CPU this week and I am planning on starting fresh and reinstalling windows.

My question is, should I stick with Windows 10, or upgrade to Windows 11?    I havent heard much good about Windows 11, but I also heard support for 10 is ending in the not too distant future.    

Just wanted to get some feedback from those who have used both, if possible.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, 43M said:

So I am upgrading my CPU this week and I am planning on starting fresh and reinstalling windows.

My question is, should I stick with Windows 10, or upgrade to Windows 11?    I havent heard much good about Windows 11, but I also heard support for 10 is ending in the not too distant future.    

Thanks.

This might sound really elementary for the FPS question, but have you checked your settings in-game and make sure your framerates are uncapped through the actual game settings. I was playing New World for almost a year before I realized by framerates were set to 30fps in game

For Windows, I personally really like 11. Its a lot more modern and sleek and I havent noticed a single different or change in anything from a functionality/performance standpoint. Its also been out long enough now that any issues that happened at launch have been fixed. The best new feature IMO is the workspace windows you can snap your open tabs/programs into so that you can quite literally multitask up to 4 different things on the same monitor in different layouts. Super awesome if you have large displays or a single big monitor.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 11:40 AM, AkronsWitness said:

This might sound really elementary for the FPS question, but have you checked your settings in-game and make sure your framerates are uncapped through the actual game settings. I was playing New World for almost a year before I realized by framerates were set to 30fps in game

For Windows, I personally really like 11. Its a lot more modern and sleek and I havent noticed a single different or change in anything from a functionality/performance standpoint. Its also been out long enough now that any issues that happened at launch have been fixed. The best new feature IMO is the workspace windows you can snap your open tabs/programs into so that you can quite literally multitask up to 4 different things on the same monitor in different layouts. Super awesome if you have large displays or a single big monitor.

Yeah.   I checked everything.   I think changing my GPU really threw something off, and I was having some other issues as well.

I ordered a Ryzen 7 5800x3d and Im doing a fresh install of Windows this weekend.    I should get better performance out my 6700xt with a clean install and more powerful CPU.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 1:48 AM, 43M said:

Thanks.

The main thing I like about windows 11 is auto hdr if you have a quality hdr monitor. Other than that and it’s normal upgrades it feels the same.