SDCC 2022 Discussion

Mox

15 hours ago, 43M said:

Not saying you're wrong, but anything that hasnt piggybacked off of it has been laughable.

Well to be fair...

200.gif

Honestly, how Sony hasn't put Peter Ramsey & Phil Lord in charge of Sony's live action Spider-man universe is a missed opportunity (huge blunder).

59 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Well to be fair...

200.gif

Honestly, how Sony hasn't put Peter Ramsey & Phil Lord in charge of Sony's live action Spider-man universe is a missed opportunity (huge blunder).

I was speaking more of the live action and shared universe stuff.   The Spidey animated and Videogame stories have been gold.   Pathetic they cant bring any of that creativity abd quality writing to live action.

Remember before they scrapped the Garfield Spidey movies, they were pushing hard to create solo movies for his rogues gallery and a Sinister Six movie?   We are kinda seeing that right now with Venom and Morbius, and they kinda foreshadowed Sinister Six in the Morbius post credits scene....and its an epic trainwreck.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 1:22 PM, Kiltman said:

Yeah I don’t get what’s so hard. Like I know a lot of the DC characters don’t lend themselves as easily to adapting.

- Most of them are in made up cities, harder to default care about or identify what’s happening there.

I dont think thats an issue at all.    They are called different cities, but they are based on real cities (Gotham = New York, Star City = Seattle, etc...), and most people wont care if the story and characters are interesting).

Have high tier powersets, MCU for the most part is at a lower power level.
- Were often written without much flaw. (Though the comics have done a solid job rectifying this)

This is the biggest issue, but not overcomable.    Man of Steel did a great job at showcasing Supermans greatest weakness....not kryptonite, but his compassion for others.    I feel like a few tweaks could have made it amazing.

The other characters can all be bested by their respective rogues gallery, but I do agree that having several largely normal people made them relateable, but they did a great job at handling and developing superpowered beings like Thor and Hulk.    

But it’s really not that hard like you said to make it work.

I mean, its hard to do from the standpoint of getting the right group of people together that are passionate about thr characters and stories and stay commited for over a decade.  Marvel caught lightning in a bottle from 08-18.   Now its slipping away.

However, its not hard to construct interesting and entertaining stories about these characters, especially if you understand and respect what makes them popular.    The problem is, WB likes to deviate from what makes people love those characters, hire people who change them in ways that dont resonate with most people.  

First and foremost, you need to have solo films for most of the main characters before teaming them up.   Imagine if Avengers came out immediately after Hulk and Iron Man 1.     Wouldn't have worked out nearly as well....but since they developed Hulk (kinda) Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Loki, Nick Fury and at least introduced Black Widow and other smaller characters, they were able to focus on the story rather than setting up a bunch of new characters and villains.   

Amazing what can be done with a good plan put together by those who respect the material.  WB still cant figure that out.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I dont think thats an issue at all.    They are called different cities, but they are based on real cities (Gotham = New York, Star City = Seattle, etc...), and most people wont care if the story and characters are interesting).

They struggle with the latter, so they could use any little bit of help.

Its Not a huge thing, but mostly I’d say it hurts production. They have to create a lot of stuff and there isn’t a ton of easy starting points. And DCEU films overly soundstaged along with this. Seeing an alien invasion in the middle of New York inherently holds more weight than random city.  For some people you even get the bonus of knowing the map in your head.

I 100% agree if you devote the time to them it shouldn’t be an issue, but they rarely do. Outside of Gotham they all are a little more flat. 

2 hours ago, 43M said:

This is the biggest issue, but not overcomable.    Man of Steel did a great job at showcasing Supermans greatest weakness....not kryptonite, but his compassion for others.    I feel like a few tweaks could have made it amazing.

The other characters can all be bested by their respective rogues gallery, but I do agree that having several largely normal people made them relateable, but they did a great job at handling and developing superpowered beings like Thor and Hulk.    

Yeah I think a good writer can find that in with all of them, no matter the power set. I used to be a huge Superman hater, but realized as I got older that really it’s just so many people suck at writing him. The compassion and the weight of essential godhood is so deep to dig from.

I think Barry would be a good in for them, more grounded core character to build from. You just need to cast someone who can be that. 

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I mean, its hard to do from the standpoint of getting the right group of people together that are passionate about thr characters and stories and stay commited for over a decade.  Marvel caught lightning in a bottle from 08-18.   Now its slipping away.

They certainly seem to make it look that way, really it’s just not having that top person seems to let things fly off the rails. Whereas Feige seems to be able to rein in the weaker projects / directors to be at least fine with good moments. Which I think it’s no coincidence why the reports are he wants bigger more proven talent directing the big stuff. They have so much content now it’s hard to be able to guide it all.

They are still getting people who are super excited for stuff, it’s just becoming more niche focused. Which hey when half is on a subscription platform and you’re doing 7-8 projects a year that’s fine. I’m looking forward to v2 of Disney+ era Marvel with no pandemic issues, think they learned a lot the last two years. Biggest being they can go big on D+ and be fine.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

However, its not hard to construct interesting and entertaining stories about these characters, especially if you understand and respect what makes them popular.    The problem is, WB likes to deviate from what makes people love those characters, hire people who change them in ways that dont resonate with most people.  

First and foremost, you need to have solo films for most of the main characters before teaming them up.   Imagine if Avengers came out immediately after Hulk and Iron Man 1.     Wouldn't have worked out nearly as well....but since they developed Hulk (kinda) Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Loki, Nick Fury and at least introduced Black Widow and other smaller characters, they were able to focus on the story rather than setting up a bunch of new characters and villains.   

Amazing what can be done with a good plan put together by those who respect the material.  WB still cant figure that out.

I really hope after 2023 they just tap the breaks and plan for 2026 to launch fully into the new universe.

Plan it out and execute. 

Lean on the already planned spin-off universes of The Batman and The Joker to carry you along with those made for HBO Max films.

Maybe post Secret Wars with a planned out universe they can finally stabilize. I think people are good at sniffing out the wrong way WB went about it, they need to come at it in an authentic way. Show confidence but not over confidence, they need to win people back.