SDCC 2022 Discussion

Mox

6 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Well to be fair, the last time DC gave a years long plan like Marvel they ended up cancelling half the movies.

I mean, we all know the real reason they didnt even mention Aquaman or Flash....two movies that are largely finished and wouldve absolutely been at least DISCUSSED if not for...reasons.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

WB

Sony had the smart to piggy back off of Feige 

Not saying you're wrong, but anything that hasnt piggybacked off of it has been laughable.

I do agree its WB, if only because WB has some of the most iconic and beloved superheroes and villains, yet still cant make it work.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Not saying you're wrong, but anything that hasnt piggybacked off of it has been laughable.

I do agree its WB, if only because WB has some of the most iconic and beloved superheroes and villains, yet still cant make it work.

There is an inherit challenge in that though. Being so iconic and beloved, people have certain expectations. Its like Luke's depiction in TLJ, there was so much expectations around it with comic source material that people had fallen in love with that the departure was near impossible for many to swallow. Meanwhile Marvel, especially with Iron Man, had so much more creative license to adapt it how they saw fit. Marvel is obviously not immune to this, but they do have more leeway. 

I think, because of the level of popularity of the DC big 3, WB's biggest failure comes from producers and writers not caring about the source material. Yes, they got Geoff Johns to produce. However, he isnt a producer, he is a comic writer (and an overhyped one at that IMO). They don't need to turn comic writers into producers or screenplay writers. They need producers like Fiege who actually like and care about the comics. 

oh and a new casting director. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

There is an inherit challenge in that though. Being so iconic and beloved, people have certain expectations. Its like Luke's depiction in TLJ, there was so much expectations around it with comic source material that people had fallen in love with that the departure was near impossible for many to swallow. Meanwhile Marvel, especially with Iron Man, had so much more creative license to adapt it how they saw fit. Marvel is obviously not immune to this, but they do have more leeway. 

I think, because of the level of popularity of the DC big 3, WB's biggest failure comes from producers and writers not caring about the source material. Yes, they got Geoff Johns to produce. However, he isnt a producer, he is a comic writer (and an overhyped one at that IMO). They don't need to turn comic writers into producers or screenplay writers. They need producers like Fiege who actually like and care about the comics. 

I think beyond Bats and Superman they would be fine to really do what they wanted . WW has a well known look, but they were open to molding that origin movie well enough.

They seem adverse to making good decisions over there. Like they shouldn’t need to do something in a really bad way to then say let’s do the opposite and produce some of their better things all the time.

There is like too many problems to know where to even start with fixing it.

Right now if I were them id just cling onto Reeves’ Universe and let it just be Batman. Maybe just do the same for other characters. If they work out, maybe link them up. But at this point don’t go chasing the marvel model, you can’t really do it in the same way and have already failed at it at many steps along the way.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think beyond Bats and Superman they would be fine to really do what they wanted . WW has a well known look, but they were open to molding that origin movie well enough.

They seem adverse to making good decisions over there. Like they shouldn’t need to do something in a really bad way to then say let’s do the opposite and produce some of their better things all the time.

There is like too many problems to know where to even start with fixing it.

Right now if I were them id just cling onto Reeves’ Universe and let it just be Batman. Maybe just do the same for other characters. If they work out, maybe link them up. But at this point don’t go chasing the marvel model, you can’t really do it in the same way and have already failed at it at many steps along the way.

It's no wonder than WW was the best origin of the bunch since they had that license. IMO though, they never really tried the Marvel Model. They rushed into the team up without introducing the characters or setting up the villain previously. Im not saying they need to mirror how Marvel did things but what they did was drastically different. They even set up Batman and WW as heroes with a large history/past the audience hasnt even seen yet. 

Im down for a Reevesverse. Batman has enough mythos and characters to make a batfamily universe. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 43M said:

Which is the bigger shiiiit show for superhero universes....Sony or WB?

WB. DC had way more hype, and a much easier path to success. Still burned it to the ground. No one expected much from Sony to begin with.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

WB. DC had way more hype, and a much easier path to success. Still burned it to the ground. No one expected much from Sony to begin with.

They messed up with B&R, took years to revigorate interest in Batman again and that was only because of Nolan, and burned whatever goodwill down because they badly copied Marvel.

8 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I largely agree with everything you said.   However, Batman and Wonder Woman, and to a lesser extent, Man of Steel, have all had successful critical and commercial outings in rece.    Man of Steel had its naysayers, and even I soured on it A BIT, but its still considered at least a decent movie by most.  But Man of Steel also fell victim to what you were saying, in regards to taking certain artistic liberties with the character that many fans didnt like.   While I enjoyed MoS, it was a pretentious movie that sacrificed fun and the levity of the character to embrace seriousness.   Not that I want a return to campy Reeves style Supes.   I actually think Rouths Superman returns had a great tone, but a weak story.  

Bottom line, I 100000% agree they need people making these films that actually know and care about the characters.  However, I think the only way to really fix DC films is to completely start fresh...but I dont see that happening unless pretty much all of their upcoming DCEU movies bomb....and even then Id be shocked.

19 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

It's no wonder than WW was the best origin of the bunch since they had that license. IMO though, they never really tried the Marvel Model. They rushed into the team up without introducing the characters or setting up the villain previously. Im not saying they need to mirror how Marvel did things but what they did was drastically different. They even set up Batman and WW as heroes with a large history/past the audience hasnt even seen yet. 

Im down for a Reevesverse. Batman has enough mythos and characters to make a batfamily universe. 

Yeah was never 1 to 1. They can definitely emulate at least phase 1-3 of Marvel. And then kinda run it back building to the next thing.

yeah I hope we just get a full realized BatUniverse from Reeves, that alone I’m happy with. If they figure out the rest it’s gravy.

If their goal is to get back to a connected universe hopefully they take their time. Easiest template is just look at the Legion of Doom, look at where each of those characters come from and you can go make those solo movies. Have one JL movie where they come together (after solo films) and that’s your JL2. In between the two you introduce some new characters and have a couple sequels. That’s like 7-8 years right there. Piggyback off of the Amazons and Atlantis being set up and just kind go from there…I’d assume they’d want to do that war at some point. 

Meanwhile they can let the Reevesverse go on it’s own, introduce other stuff like Justice League Dark characters. Keep the Lanterns out in space for the most part.

It’s pretty easy to see how they can get there. They just need an overseer to hire better teams to make it work. Casting has been fine, but some misses for sure.

9 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah was never 1 to 1. They can definitely emulate at least phase 1-3 of Marvel. And then kinda run it back building to the next thing.

yeah I hope we just get a full realized BatUniverse from Reeves, that alone I’m happy with. If they figure out the rest it’s gravy.

If their goal is to get back to a connected universe hopefully they take their time. Easiest template is just look at the Legion of Doom, look at where each of those characters come from and you can go make those solo movies. Have one JL movie where they come together (after solo films) and that’s your JL2. In between the two you introduce some new characters and have a couple sequels. That’s like 7-8 years right there. Piggyback off of the Amazons and Atlantis being set up and just kind go from there…I’d assume they’d want to do that war at some point. 

Meanwhile they can let the Reevesverse go on it’s own, introduce other stuff like Justice League Dark characters. Keep the Lanterns out in space for the most part.

It’s pretty easy to see how they can get there. They just need an overseer to hire better teams to make it work. Casting has been fine, but some misses for sure.

The level of incompetence is actually amazing. It'd take like a week to get things on the right track for a non-idiot.

8 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

The level of incompetence is actually amazing. It'd take like a week to get things on the right track for a non-idiot.

Yeah I don’t get what’s so hard. Like I know a lot of the DC characters don’t lend themselves as easily to adapting.

- Most of them are in made up cities, harder to default care about or identify what’s happening there.
- Have high tier powersets, MCU for the most part is at a lower power level.
- Were often written without much flaw. (Though the comics have done a solid job rectifying this)

But it’s really not that hard like you said to make it work.

• Like 1