Chase Young Injury/ Recovery

RSkinGM

I'm sure most of you have read he's on the PUP to start camp. Recently read they used a piece of his patella tendon from his left knee to repair the ACL in his right knee. So, he's basically recovering from two knee injuries . Maybe some of you Ortho types can explain WHY they would do this. I thought they used a "donor" ligament from a cadaver . 

I don't expect him back until maybe sometime mid/ late October . He won't be 100% all year probably- right Turtle?

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I'm sure most of you have read he's on the PUP to start camp. Recently read they used a piece of his patella tendon from his left knee to repair the ACL in his right knee. So, he's basically recovering from two knee injuries . Maybe some of you Ortho types can explain WHY they would do this. I thought they used a "donor" ligament from a cadaver . 

I don't expect him back until maybe sometime mid/ late October . He won't be 100% all year probably- right Turtle?

I can’t say when he’ll be 100%, I’m not a doctor. Given that he tore his ACL in mid November, I’m glad they are taking a cautious approach unlike what RG3 pushed for in 2013 and the team agreed to in 2013 where they played him week 1 when he obviously wasn’t ready when the season started.

I agree that October seems like a likely timeline for Chase to be ready. But, as you suggested he is unlikely to be 100% & he’s likely to not to have total confidence in his knee for a few weeks or so when he returns.

I guess my hope is that by November he has his confidence back in his knee & he can help the team make a 2nd half playoff push.

I was happy with Rivera’s press conference to hear that Chase Roullier & Logan Thomas are close to returning & it sounds like they will be participating in practice soon, how soon?

I don’t know.

I do like that Rivera won’t put timelines or pressure on any of the players to return until they’re solid & ready to return bc they don’t need extra pressure on them where they could return too soon and then have a set back similar to Rak in 2012 when he tore his Pec for the 2nd time in 9 months & missed almost all of the 2012 season but those first few games.

I don't who may be out there as a Free Agent but we need more depth at D E . JSW is what he is - JAG. He's not an impact player . I know we signed Obada from The Bills. Hope he'll be a help . The two late round guys we drafted last year - meh. 

16 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I don't who may be out there as a Free Agent but we need more depth at D E . JSW is what he is - JAG. He's not an impact player . I know we signed Obada from The Bills. Hope he'll be a help . The two late round guys we drafted last year - meh. 

I’m not happy that we still don’t have Kerrigan on this roster but, he wanted to start & that wasn’t going to happen here. Of course he went to Philly, didn’t start there and didn’t even get a sack there. I wish he had stayed/been kept last year & had played his entire career in a Washington uniform. I don’t know if that bridge has been burned w/ Kerrigan & Rivera but I fear it was. 

Our depth isn’t the best at DE, but I think it’s better than last year bc of another year of development for JSW, Toohill, Toney & WBK plus, the addition of Obada who has 9 sacks over the last 2 years in just 2 starts. It wouldn’t shock me if Obada is our starting LDE w/ Sweat starting at RDE until Chase is ready.

I also think that JSW played pretty well last year, at least against the run:

6 starts: 30 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 4 TFL, 5 QB hits & 6 pressures 

So, that’s not bad in 6 starts. It’s certainly good for a good back up/3rd or 4th DE behind Chase & Sweat when Chase is back & a possible starter - it’s between JSW & Obada on who starts until chase is back IMO.

As I said before JSW, Toohill, Toney & WBK are a year older so, hopefully w/ more development they will show something they didn’t show last year.

Edited by turtle28

13 minutes ago, DCNative said:

I'd put him on the Pup list with the intention of him coming back after our first 4 games. I wouldn't rush him back. Use all precautions and make sure Chase body is ready for NFL football. Think long term, not short term. 

If he's on the PUP list when the season starts - He MUST miss 6 games per the rules. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

If he's on the PUP list when the season starts - He MUST miss 6 games per the rules. 

I guess he could go straight to I R and miss only 4 games. I would think it just depends on were he is at the start of th Regular Season and the teams evaluation.

The non contact ACL injuries always seem to be the worse!! They always seem to require the additional surgery where they take from the other knee and create a new tendon because non contact usually mean it severs from the bone instead of a rip from contact where both are still connected on eac bone and they reconnect with a fiber. Chase could suffer from a loss of explosion and if that’s the case will really need to focus on fining skills. This by no means makes me believe he can’t be back. But the rehab for this type of surgery is def longer because fusing back into the bone means you can’t work on running and explosion moves until much later then a typical tear

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Thanks for the clarification. Put him on IR so he can return within 4 weeks of the season begining. 

I think they should take him off PUP before the season starts. Then, he can practice with the team even if he’s not ready to go all out in September. If he’s still on PUP or IR, he can’t practice at all.

They can make him one of the 6 inactive players the first part of the season until he’s ready. If he’s on the active roster but inactive on game days he can practice with the team which I feel is important for him before he’s close to 100% and ready to start a game. 

21 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I also think that JSW played pretty well last year, at least against the run:

6 starts: 30 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 4 TFL, 5 QB hits & 6 pressures 

So, that’s not bad in 6 starts. It’s certainly good for a good back up/3rd or 4th DE behind Chase & Sweat when Chase is back & a possible starter - it’s between JSW & Obada on who starts until chase is back IMO.

As I said before JSW, Toohill, Toney & WBK are a year older so, hopefully w/ more development they will show something they didn’t show last year.

I think JSW is an okay backup, but this stat is misleading. Those are his season numbers. 

6 starts: 22 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 3 TFL, 4 hits

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I stand corrected . They've changed the rule this year apparently. The IN SEASON PUP requires a player to only miss 4 games, not 6 like before. ! 

https://buffalowdown.com/2022/07/24/buffalo-bills-changes-rules-nfl-pup-list/

Well that’s good. I still would take him off PUP before the season starts just in case he can return before week 5.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

Honestly, I am ok with the guys we have. Chase kinda stalled a bit last year, his production can be replaced. 

This might be the best thing for him both physically and mentally. If the DLine has success playing the scheme - no free lancing BS - he might understand that he is a Cog in Unit, and that requires discipline within the constraints of a scheme. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troublez said:

Honestly, I am ok with the guys we have. Chase kinda stalled a bit last year, his production can be replaced. 

This might be the best thing for him both physically and mentally. If the DLine has success playing the scheme - no free lancing BS - he might understand that he is a Cog in Unit, and that requires discipline within the constraints of a scheme. 

I think he & Sweat were humbled a lot last year. Rivera spoke to that in his press conference when asked about Chase. Rivera also said that he spoke to Chase about going back to how he played as a rookie & being more of a physical DE/pass rusher & less of a finesse guy who’s always trying to turn the corner to get sacks that way. It seems they had a good discussion and Chase understood how they want him to play in the defense & he was humbled last year which is a good thing. 

Edited by turtle28