Early talk on the Giants offseason

ny92mike

49 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

Man, I'm not saying we've got to have all stars at each position on the line but we need to be looking for better than average players.  With roughly 30 million to spend, drafting an offensive lineman this year shouldn't be out of the question or the realm of possibility.  If you don't think it's worth drafting in the first round, that's fine.  I know that you value talent in the trenches just as much as I do.  Every year, we've ever had a discussion about who to draft you've always said defensive end.  I just think that it's just as important to have equal talent on the line.

I don’t think it’s worth it to draft a OL with the #2 pick. That’s a big difference then not drafting in the first. If the Giants traded down, I’ll have no problem with a OL, just not with #2 pick.

The OL is about chemistry, more than just the players. We need to find 5 players who work together. We have $30M in cap space but the majority of that will go to OBJ, Pugh, and Collins. We have a little bit of money from cuts like Marshall and Casillas, but we aren’t making big moves in FA. Medium rare moves.

7 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

You can’t use the Browns as an example. If the value is there and it’s not too much of a reach I have no problem going that route by taking an OL. This Nelson guy from what I heard is arguably the best player in the draft. 

Use any of the OL you want. Value isn’t there.

Peter King did a great article on it two years ago.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/24/nfl-draft-combine-offensive-tackles-history

11 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I don’t think it’s worth it to draft a OL with the #2 pick. That’s a big difference then not drafting in the first. If the Giants traded down, I’ll have no problem with a OL, just not with #2 pick.

The OL is about chemistry, more than just the players. We need to find 5 players who work together. We have $30M in cap space but the majority of that will go to OBJ, Pugh, and Collins. We have a little bit of money from cuts like Marshall and Casillas, but we aren’t making big moves in FA. Medium rare moves.

Unless you're referring to extensions being passed out, both OBJ and Collins are under contract in 2018, according to overthecap.com  Pugh on the other hand is a free agent.

Just now, ny92jefferis said:

Unless you're referring to extensions being passed out, both OBJ and Collins are under contract in 2018, according to overthecap.com  Pugh on the other hand is a free agent.

I am referring to extensions. This is when they should receive their new contracts. Both coming off injuries and need to be big part of our future.

7 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I am referring to extensions. This is when they should receive their new contracts. Both coming off injuries and need to be big part of our future.

I agree, but that is going to be so costly, OBJ is making about 8.5 million next season, extending his contract, I look at what Hopkins just signed recently, which carries an 18 million dollar cap hit.  

1 minute ago, ny92jefferis said:

I agree, but that is going to be so costly, OBJ is making about 8.5 million next season, extending his contract, I look at what Hopkins just signed recently, which carries an 18 million dollar cap hit.  

Yes it will be. The other option is to let him go. We can’t let OBJ face a contract year. His value will only go up.

We will not have money to “retool” ourselves in one year as you would like, nor does it make sense to. OBJ and Collins need to be 100% convinced they are our future.

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

Yes it will be. The other option is to let him go. We can’t let OBJ face a contract year. His value will only go up.

We will not have money to “retool” ourselves in one year as you would like, nor does it make sense to. OBJ and Collins need to be 100% convinced they are our future.

I'd like to see them signed too, however, I don't think it's a must.  Teams are forced to use the tag all the time only to find a way to extend them long term.  

In a season when Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Janoris Jenkins each were suspended by the New York Giants, Pro Bowl safety Landon Collins sees another cornerback as the secondary's biggest in-house problem.

When asked what changes should be made to the Giants secondary next year, Collins called Eli Apple "a cancer" during a Tuesday interview with Bob Wischusen on "The Michael Kay Show" on 98.7 ESPN New York.

Apple, a top-10 pick in last year's draft, didn't play a single defensive snap in Sunday's loss to the Arizona Cardinals. He has detractors in the locker room and throughout the organization because of his actions, which have earned him a spot on the bench multiple times this season.

"There's only just one corner that ... needs to grow, and we all know who that is," said Collins, one of the more popular players in the locker room. "That would be the only person I would change out of our secondary group. Besides, the other two guys, [Rodgers-Cromartie] and [Jenkins], I love those two guys. They play hard. They love what they do.

"But that first pick ... he's a cancer."

Decided to post this in here because I was actually curious - is Apple really that bad? I am an OSU fan, and I never heard anything all that awful about him in college. 

Also, which corners are most likely to be moved? I can't imagine DRC is back, but what about Jenkins? Did he play his way out of NYG this year? You guys have Cockrell who's a pretty solid corner if I remember right, and still have Apple? That cap hit on Jenkins is pretty high at 11 mil. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Decided to post this in here because I was actually curious - is Apple really that bad? I am an OSU fan, and I never heard anything all that awful about him in college. 

Also, which corners are most likely to be moved? I can't imagine DRC is back, but what about Jenkins? Did he play his way out of NYG this year? You guys have Cockrell who's a pretty solid corner if I remember right, and still have Apple? That cap hit on Jenkins is pretty high at 11 mil. 

Well I read just recently that the issues with his family have really impacted him. If Apple is really that much a problem then they will trade him but he needs to come back fresh next year. He’s a talented player, the tools are there. If he goes he will get picked up very quickly.

No chance Jenkins gets cut. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Man, I'd say Collins is right.  Apple just hasn't been the player that I figured he'd grow into.  I think the inhouse issues were allowed to get out of control.  So glad to see the heads rolling from Reese and McAdoo.  Releasing the cancer would cost us about 5 million, but if he is this big of an issue as Collins stats, a June 1st cut would cut it in half.

From what I've seen of Apple is he isn't covering the deep ball, I'm sure others can tell you more as I haven't watched all the games.  

I think just having another head coach and the staff that follows, things will return to normal.  With all this talk about drafting a quarterback in the first round, I look back at what corner we might have gotten in place of Webb.  I'm just glad this season is over and I look forward to seeing the change in staff.  

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Well I read just recently that the issues with his family have really impacted him. If Apple is really that much a problem then they will trade him but he needs to come back fresh next year. He’s a talented player, the tools are there. If he goes he will get picked up very quickly.

No chance Jenkins gets cut. 

Ahh, that would make sense. 

Sad about Jenkins...49ers need a corner bad, and I still like what Jenkins brings. With a high cap number, I was hoping to get him cheap if you guys decided to trade him lol. 

1 minute ago, ny92jefferis said:

Man, I'd say Collins is right.  Apple just hasn't been the player that I figured he'd grow into.  I think the inhouse issues were allowed to get out of control.  So glad to see the heads rolling from Reese and McAdoo.  Releasing the cancer would cost us about 5 million, but if he is this big of an issue as Collins stats, a June 1st cut would cut it in half.

From what I've seen of Apple is he isn't covering the deep ball, I'm sure others can tell you more as I haven't watched all the games.  

I think just having another head coach and the staff that follows, things will return to normal.  With all this talk about drafting a quarterback in the first round, I look back at what corner we might have gotten in place of Webb.  I'm just glad this season is over and I look forward to seeing the change in staff.  

I can't imagine you would flat out release him - I'd say that there'd have to be a decent market for him in trade. Seems like he has had some good moments on the field, so some teams would be interested given his pedigree and youth. 

Could be really interesting in NY next year - agree that a culture change / attitude change could be a major help and make this look like an all new team next year. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I can't imagine you would flat out release him - I'd say that there'd have to be a decent market for him in trade. Seems like he has had some good moments on the field, so some teams would be interested given his pedigree and youth. 

Could be really interesting in NY next year - agree that a culture change / attitude change could be a major help and make this look like an all new team next year. 

You're right trading him is an option, but just figured when you have a talent like Collins calling him out, his value is dropping.  Cost wise it would be cheaper to find some sort of value out of him from a trade.

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

Use any of the OL you want. Value isn’t there.

Peter King did a great article on it two years ago.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/24/nfl-draft-combine-offensive-tackles-history

Unless that article shows that all tackles in the top are busts then I’m really not gonna give that article much credence. The draft in itself is random, there is no explanation for that stat. Why are Trent Williams, Tyron Smith, Lane Johnson, Eric Fisher success while guys like Matt Kalil, Joeckel, Robinson, Jason Smith busts? It happens. I could do a similar thing with QBs.

Archived