Giants release LB Blake Martinez

TheKillerNacho

3 hours ago, Billy86 said:

In our current setup I would say Barnes woukd be ahead of him, but if you asked me who would be a better fit across all 32 trams Martinez would likely come up ahead more often than him. Barnes is the definition of nothing special and you don't want him as your noo. 1 but he's quite OK at most things. 

Honestly, I think Barnes is a starting caliber LB.  We aren't talking Urlacher, but Barnes is fine.  I don't recall him screwing anything up.  

13 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Wouldn't mind him for the Raiders since we nabbed the DC from NY. 

We've been used to some really bad LB play in the past so it's hard not to upgrade. Idk how much I trust Perryman to stay healthy, and definitely don't know how much I trust our depth. 

I would be a liar if I said that I followed his Giants tenure.  But the guy was a tackle machine for the Packers.  And just looking at the stats, he seemed to continue that with the Giants.  Even in 2021, he had 23 tackles in 3 games.  Not a bad option if you want a smart player, that gets the opponent on the ground.  Just don't expect him to be running down field with the RB or TE.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MartBl01.htm

5 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Didn't know this was a thing. People HATE EVERY ILB that doesn't work out in GB? Sounds a bit exaggerated. 

Ty Summers got a bunch of posts for being cut and then cut again by someone else for example. And most of them seemed quite angry with him. 

It happens all the time. We didn't address it much for a long time when then many people thought that was a huge mistake and they started get ripped on even after they were gone more than any average guy who walked away from here. 

I'm not sure every single one but like the ty Summers **** seemed weird and I've seen it with others. Guy was a 7th who didn't do anything, oh no. Time to get really mad about it.... Just feels weird and it has to be the position imo

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Norm said:

Ty Summers got a bunch of posts for being cut and then cut again by someone else for example. And most of them seemed quite angry with him. 

It happens all the time. We didn't address it much for a long time when then many people thought that was a huge mistake and they started get ripped on even after they were gone more than any average guy who walked away from here. 

I'm not sure every single one but like the ty Summers **** seemed weird and I've seen it with others. Guy was a 7th who didn't do anything, oh no. Time to get really mad about it.... Just feels weird and it has to be the position imo

For real, it was like they were gloating about the guy losing his job.  The only thing Ty Summers ever did wrong was not be big or fast enough.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

For real, it was like they were gloating about the guy losing his job.  The only thing Ty Summers ever did wrong was not be big or fast enough.  

It was super weird right? It was a handful of guys too. It just felt to be like it just has to be him getting linked with other guys who played there and "failed", nothing else makes sense.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

It was super weird right? It was a handful of guys too. It just felt to be like it just has to be him getting linked with other guys who played there and "failed", nothing else makes sense.

Yeah, it isn't like Summers had some kind of attitude either.  He was just there, and did his job of play special teams and be the emergency linebacker.  Maybe they just really really liked Kamal Martin? The same can really be said about Martinez.  I don't know how he became so terrible, because it wasn't when he was playing.  He was a fourth round pick that had:  69, 144, 144, and 155 tackles while with the team, then signed a big contract with the Giants.  I believe we got a conditional pick from that contract as well, which is either SJC or McDuffie.  The way Martinez is maligned, you would think he was giving up TDs every other play.  But then again, this is the fan base that preferred Desmond Bishop to AJ Hawk and Nick Barnett, so I don't know.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yeah, it isn't like Summers had some kind of attitude either.  He was just there, and did his job of play special teams and be the emergency linebacker.  Maybe they just really really liked Kamal Martin? The same can really be said about Martinez.  I don't know how he became so terrible, because it wasn't when he was playing.  He was a fourth round pick that had:  69, 144, 144, and 155 tackles while with the team, then signed a big contract with the Giants.  I believe we got a conditional pick from that contract as well, which is either SJC or McDuffie.  The way Martinez is maligned, you would think he was giving up TDs every other play.  But then again, this is the fan base that preferred Desmond Bishop to AJ Hawk and Nick Barnett, so I don't know.  

I remember times where people wanted to replace hawk with every single practice squad guy because "they can't be worse." Happened a lot. Just weird stuff for that position

16 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Krys Barnes is 230 and ran a 4.79, even more undersized and slower. Is it that hes bigger, faster and still can't beat out undersized fas that run a 4.8?

1 hour ago, lark25 said:

Krys Barnes is 230 and ran a 4.79, even more undersized and slower. Is it that hes bigger, faster and still can't beat out undersized fas that run a 4.8?

I did not realize that Barnes was that light.  I will disagree that Summers played faster than Barnes, regardless of 40 time.  But the issue was that a group of people were disproportionally happy that Ty Summers was released, then happy again, when he was released from his new team.  This was a fringe roster guy on a 7th round rookie contract.  It isn't like we paid him big money and he just quit trying.  Or like he was a jerk or anything.  It was just bizarre.