2022 GDT Week Five Da 1-3 Steelers Visit the 3-1 Bills

Steeler Hitman

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Ive rewatched the play about 100 times now. No. There is no hesitation at all. It's a straight post. 

That's why I don't understand what the call is here. Norwood and Maulet both break horizontal at the snap. There is move by Davis that would force him to jump anything. The immediate move put him out of place to stay on top of Davis. We were looking for something in-cutting and when Norwood realized he was going deep it was way to late. 

I can't imagine the defensive play call was done to stop a bomb. It was 3 and long on their own 2 yard line. It looks like they expected a shorter route to pick up the first, not a bomb down the middle. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 6:11 PM, bigben07MVP said:

- Move Pickens to WR1, get Austin on the field at the expense of DJ and Claypool. Feature Pat and Pickens in the passing game

- Minimum 50% carries for Warren, get him involved in the first quarter

- Give McFarland a hat over Snell or Najee

- Make Spillane inactive, give Mark Robinson some situational snaps

- Full time Leal, Malik Reed shouldn’t be on the field. 

- Get Loudermilk some snaps over Wormley

- Fire Canada, promote Sullivan

All are things I hope Tomlin is at least considering moving forward.

this all seems legit based on what I have been able to observe .

The problem with tomlin is that he has in the past, been too loyal to coaches and some players.  I actually think decent talent is here, nothing special but it should be tolerable anyways. I am not believing the team is flopping on purpose either or at least not yet anyways. 

I had issues when they kept Wormley at all, terrible vs the run. But, Leal looks like a major d=find to say the least, maybe even comparable to a legit quality 5 tech. 

Agree about Pickens and Austin. Austin also gets the hat for KR.PR, a given (if /when healthy) . Claypool and DJ better wake up or get time in the doghouse, tomlin needs to make a statement and the doghouse was always his way eventually but often too late.

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

Watch the actual play. Starts at :32 seconds. This not not a sluggo. It's a straight post. 

Pause at :39 when Norwood realizes it's way too late. 

There is no reason we shouldn't be overtop of everything situationally. 

I mean, even Romo drew it like it was breaking in. It looks like Davis shifted his shoulders like he was going to break in. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I can't imagine the defensive play call was done to stop a bomb. It was 3 and long on their own 2 yard line. It looks like they expected a shorter route to pick up the first, not a bomb down the middle. 

That's what I think as well. Even watch Maulet at the top of the screen almost fall down to turn and run. This just seems like saw something on tape and attacked it but got caught with their pants down because they didn't expect vertical. They had Wallace outside leverage funneling things inside but Norwood is covering shallow like he expects an in break at the sticks. They get crushed vertically though because there is no one in the MOF and Wallace can make that play. 

There's always going to be times you guess wrong, but I don't understand the guess here. I am positive it's something they saw, but 3rd and 10 here.....just don't get smoked deep. The defense we played allowed that. 

Saw your other post right after so won't requote, but I don't see shoulder shift and the give here, IMO, is Norwood. He never tries to do anything else. They just straight got caught out of position. Romo's drawing drew off the live action, but the replay was way different. 

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Maybe the Bills tape shows slant on that formation. By the looks of our secondary, that's what my guess is. They both flatten and move in. So maybe they just caught us guessing due to formation? 

That’s what happens when you have a backup in though.  Right off the bat Norwood is moving to protect 10 yards. In reality Allen could have likely gone to any of the 3 WR’s because of Norwoods failure to get to his zone.

I....I don't understand this play. But hey, honestly it should have worked, but it's just part of the canada offense: "There's stuff going on, but should it" or "there's nothing going on here, should there be?" This is the former. 

- Kenny does math poorly here, it's 3 on 3 blocking to the jet. Take it. 

- The hell is Dan Moore doing? This isn't a read option, despite the action. Kenny can't read left while looking right. This decision gets made pre-snap, so you wouldn't let a guy go. Seems like he realizes that later. We could say he is meant to get next level, but why go inside of that DT to do so and he doesn't actually try to get to the second level. 

- DJ is open, but why is Kenny doing a semi-roll? Chuks could do a better job here, but this is quick hitting and Kenny is actually moving INTO trouble. This is coming off the read-option look. Is this meant to fool defenders, because it's a one route look. Maybe he sees Big Dan wiff and yikes out of it, but the O-line is all shifting right so that seems to say movement. 

Just odd. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I....I don't understand this play. But hey, honestly it should have worked, but it's just part of the canada offense: "There's stuff going on, but should it" or "there's nothing going on here, should there be?" This is the former. 

- Kenny does math poorly here, it's 3 on 3 blocking to the jet. Take it. 

- The hell is Dan Moore doing? This isn't a read option, despite the action. Kenny can't read left while looking right. This decision gets made pre-snap, so you wouldn't let a guy go. Seems like he realizes that later. We could say he is meant to get next level, but why go inside of that DT to do so and he doesn't actually try to get to the second level. 

- DJ is open, but why is Kenny doing a semi-roll? Chuks could do a better job here, but this is quick hitting and Kenny is actually moving INTO trouble. This is coming off the read-option look. Is this meant to fool defenders, because it's a one route look. Maybe he sees Big Dan wiff and yikes out of it, but the O-line is all shifting right so that seems to say movement. 

Just odd. 

It’s a college play that works in college when Sims doesn’t need to stop and set before moving again.  Additionally it’s a play built off the defense being in man and they got zone.  Replay cuts off down and distance with time and Q, but would be nice to know if Kenny was able to call TO.  But looking at how the play was built with Sims not supposed to be stopping, he didn’t have the opportunity to call a kill or audible.  If there’s going to be double sweep action, Sims should come across like he did, then DJ should be the one moving at the NFL level to make the defense think and start guessing if the first or second jet action is going to be the one that gets the ball snapped.

Dan Moore and Kenny’s half roll:

Moore just blew it.  Almost like he didnt know the call.  If he climbs he’s an illegal man down field.  Even if the call was to leave the DE unblocked for Kennys read (but like you said, seemed predetermined but kinda stupidly based on zone defense) he just stood there.  I think some of that caused Kenny to move.  But I think it was to be a bigger roll.  Look at Chucks getting beat by 57 easily.  Hell Daniels doesn’t block anyone, Cole blocks the DT, Dotson plays patticake with Coles ***, in addition to Moore being a traffic cone and Chucks whiffing on his block.  Gentry barely engages Von (thank god we didn’t run it maybe), and Freiermuth makes an actual block.  So 7 guys blocking and 2 get hands on someone.  Yikes.

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 3:18 PM, warfelg said:

I think the Spillane, Warren, Loudermilk are the least likely to happen. I really wish we could give Spillane Bushes abilities physically. 

Bush's change of direction was noticeably sluggish on one play last week, earlier in the game I believe when it wasnt so bad yet. I think it was like a retreat/drop and cover type play. The type of sluggish that is typical of guys carrying too much weight and or not in really great shape. I didnt think it looked like an effort issue on the play as much as he just wasnt fit/athletic enough. I'm not sure which play I just know what I saw. 

On 10/11/2022 at 4:15 AM, warfelg said:

For those saying we should have gone for it in the RedZone Sunday:

We we’re 0-2 in FGs but also 0-4 when we went for it. 

The last 45 yd field goal with 00:07 seconds left in the 3rd qtr down 31-3 was from the 27 yd line. Not the Red Zone. It was kicked on a 4th and 5

They made it to the "Red zone" 3 other times after the first field goal and went for it. Not including the chip shot Boz missed from the 15yd line because of overcompensating for the wind.

4th and 10 from the 30  fringe of the red zone but not quite in. 

4th and 6 from the 20  Which Pickett actually converted but Diontae had one of his lapses and dropped a wide open pass that he had in his hands. 

4th and 14 from the 26...4th and 10 & 14 are not close to the same scenario as 4th and 5 and they converted a 3rd and 4 from the 33 earlier which is a lot more similar to the 4th and 5 from the 27. The last FG made zero sense, nobody was feeling good about it, it wasnt gonna keep up with Josh Allen when the defense was the main issue and on top of that, the kick had such a low probability to begin with in those conditions. It was senseless. Talk about Living in your fears or without little grasp of the realities of the situation. 

With Josh Allen in the game Buffalo made it into scoring position 9 straight times with the exception of the 2 play drive/kneel down just before the end of the 1st half.  1 missed field goal, 1 interception in the end zone, and 1 fumble at the 1 yd line were the only things that kept them from scoring, more likely cause the defense was fortunate than good. 

Not that Allen needs the help but that missed 45 yd field goal gives them a 7-8 yd bonus on the change of possession. Ehh it only took him two plays to score the next TD anyway.

Edited by JustPlainNasty

I don’t have the time to chart or go back and look at plays. That’s the way it was put on a podcast (a more NFL broad one from that talked about the topic, I think the 33rd Team). Their takeaway was it didn’t matter if we went for it, we weren’t converting anyways. It’s a bunch of former players and coaches and they were commenting sometimes you just want points. You need to end a drive with something positive. Even if it means nothing in terms of a comeback. 

18 hours ago, warfelg said:

I don’t have the time to chart or go back and look at plays. That’s the way it was put on a podcast (a more NFL broad one from that talked about the topic, I think the 33rd Team). Their takeaway was it didn’t matter if we went for it, we weren’t converting anyways. It’s a bunch of former players and coaches and they were commenting sometimes you just want points. You need to end a drive with something positive. Even if it means nothing in terms of a comeback. 

Again, it was a 45 yd field goal in horrible wind conditions, regardless of the game situation or score it wasn't a exactly sound choice even if it was a close game. 

Pickett converted the 4th and 6 in the Red zone earlier in the game, easily actually, however Diontae dropped a wide open pass that he had in his hands (he caught it then just dropped it out of bounds). It was a 4th & 6 from the 20 at the early part of the 3rd qtr around the 10 minute mark, good for about 13 yards to the 7 yd line. 

29 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

It’s not a conversion issue it’s a math problem. You can’t beat teams scoring 3 when they score 7.  Kicking in those situations is throwing up the white flag, and I’m not sure players take a positive away from giving up. 

Be honest. We weren’t coming back 3+ scores in a quarter.