State of the Steelers

warfelg

12 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Assistant HC Munch if he wanted to come back. He doesn’t have to be the OL coach. Make up titles. Call him the Supreme Leader of the Galactic Kingdom for all I care. Get good people in the building. 

Yup. There’s precedent with Flores just last year. Not sure if Munchak would want that sort of role, good chance he wants to remain strictly an o-line coach at this point. I think he has turned down OC roles to remain an o-line coach but I could be wrong.

27 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Yup. There’s precedent with Flores just last year. Not sure if Munchak would want that sort of role, good chance he wants to remain strictly an o-line coach at this point. I think he has turned down OC roles to remain an o-line coach but I could be wrong.

He didn’t turn down OC jobs because he was interested in staying OL. It’s long been known in the NFL for him later career it’s either Denver (daughter with a special needs kid) or Pittsburgh (rest of his family). 

17 minutes ago, AFF said:

Anyone else think that they’re going to draft an EDGE decently high this year? 

Starting from pick 32 to 120, I think they’ll draft one similar to the Bud/Highsmith situation from a few years ago.

If they trade down, yes. 7 picks this yea but no 5th/6th round picks. 2 in the 7th. Otherwise I’d say the late 4/mid 5 area would be the sweet spot. 

Let’s say you want to drop from 49 to 58. 49 is worth 107.56 points this year. 58 is worth 86.13. That’s going to take pick 114 to cover (21.61 points). 

So looking at 58. That’s the Giants. Closest they have to 101. That would over pay by 8 points. Or you can get 129 and 163 which would be a 2 point overpay that we can use 237 to cover. Or you take 129, 210, 219 back. 

So let’s say you get 58, 129, 163 for 49 and 237. Now I easily take an EDGE player with that 129 pick. You would still have your second 2nd round pick, gain an extra 4th, get back into the 5th for the cost of a 7th. 

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Anyone else think that they’re going to draft an EDGE decently high this year? 

Starting from pick 32 to 120, I think they’ll draft one similar to the Bud/Highsmith situation from a few years ago.

I hope not.  Sigh Highsmith and get a proven vet to be a Edge3. KVN (also for ILB of course)  or hopefully Justin Houston but I expect Houston would want to start and after what happened here with Ingram ,  you get the problem with that. 

If titans release bud and he gets next to no interest, he might sign a 1 year prove it deal here. 

Once Highsmith is signed, you already have severe amounts of cap allocated to Edge, no need to add an early draft pick there as well when there are other needs. If the team didn't have other needs, then the idea can make sense, but this team was just over .500 and has needs everywhere depending on what they do in UFA. 

Picking Edge till pick 120, thats late RD4. Is this calss good enough to have a legit pass rusher late in RD4? If so, then maybe go for it. This is where trading Jack and mitch would be nice (as  well as dionte)  as that could get a pick in this range ultimately if the picks are added up. 

Unload 3 of colberts really overpaid/overrated players with high draft stock for a RD4 rookie 9_9

If we draft pass rusher in the first 3 rounds, it will basically tell Highsmith he is on his way out.  

Dont get me wrong, it would be nice to draft one high AND keep Highsmith,  but we have too many other needs.   I have a feeling this year or 24 will be Heyward's last, and we have nothing at NT.   We may need two new starting ILBs and CBs.   May need a new starting S.   OL could be upgraded. 

If we keep Sutton, Edmunds and sign Tremaine Edmunds at ILB, then I guess it could happen in rd 3....maybe even pick 49.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

If we draft pass rusher in the first 3 rounds, it will basically tell Highsmith he is on his way out.  

Dont get me wrong, it would be nice to draft one high AND keep Highsmith,  but we have too many other needs.   I have a feeling this year or 24 will be Heyward's last, and we have nothing at NT.   We may need two new starting ILBs and CBs.   May need a new starting S.   OL could be upgraded. 

If we keep Sutton, Edmunds and sign Tremaine Edmunds at ILB, then I guess it could happen in rd 3....maybe even pick 49.

Cams next two cap hits are $22.2 and $22.4 mil respectively with $15.8 and $16mil base salaries.  I can see him get a redone contract where his salaries go down to $10mil each year, the $11mil converted to signing bonus and the last two years having a minimal (like $5mil) base salary. Would reduce his cap hit this year by $6mil, next year by $6mil, then would carry a $8mil cap hit in 2025/26.  I doubt he would get to the end of this contract, but it would add very little new money while increasing how much he gets guaranteed.  I think Cam would do something like that to play his entire career here.

we will see with the new FO how they value Edge. Word has it, they want to build the trenches and Edge is part of that .  I am expecting them to keep Highsmith, or would hope so.  Maybe they decide to not keep him? I haven't read anything about that, but who knows, it's a new FO and we will learn as time goes on. 

I want them to sign Wagner, Evans/KVN and correct ILB once and for all. Robinson can learn from legit pro's , something ILB hasn't had here is mentorship.  Then either UFA LT or early draft pick OL to help the OL. Enough  of the ILB being such a weakness, it's going on 5+ years now  since Shazier got hurt and  the ILB has been an issue since.  Enough is enough

trade mitch and jack, cut jackson  and midseason trade dionte like claypool with hopefully netting a similar pick. 

if Flores signs Sutton, then get a CB1 in RD1. The FO better not pull a colbert and get a hopeful lateral at very best move for CB in UFA if Sutton leaves.  Either an upgrade in UFA or RD1 pick where #17 should also get an upgrade.  

Maybe  LT Dillard and LG Risner could both be signed as well once the cap space is made by releasing players.  Might have to choose 1 of these players if the cap isn't sorted out but Dillard might sign a 1 year prove it deal.

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Cams next two cap hits are $22.2 and $22.4 mil respectively with $15.8 and $16mil base salaries.  I can see him get a redone contract where his salaries go down to $10mil each year, the $11mil converted to signing bonus and the last two years having a minimal (like $5mil) base salary. Would reduce his cap hit this year by $6mil, next year by $6mil, then would carry a $8mil cap hit in 2025/26.  I doubt he would get to the end of this contract, but it would add very little new money while increasing how much he gets guaranteed.  I think Cam would do something like that to play his entire career here.

what is your expect total cap space available once the FO restructures and then trades/cuts colberts fails?  is it near 35M?

6 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

what is your expect total cap space available once the FO restructures and then trades/cuts colberts fails?  is it near 35M?

I wouldn’t put them as “Colberts fails” regardless of how I feel.  Some guys who won’t be around for various reasons.  I think usable space of about $35mil is what you can expect.

Getting rid of William Jackson alone is huge.  Him and Witherspoon going is big.  I wouldn’t be shocked with one of Chucks or Daniels getting a 2 year extension to reduce their cap hits.  The biggest questions is does Cam’s deal get redone, is Trubisky cut, and who of Minkah or TJ gets a restructure.  

I wouldn’t expect Jack to get cut unless its a Post June-1st because we got Edmunds and drafted a high level (Simpson or Sanders) ILB too.

55 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I wouldn’t be shocked with one of Chucks or Daniels getting a 2 year extension to reduce their cap hits

Daniels never got 'credit' for a sack last season, a good signing there by the GM ^_^  This is a good idea, try to keep them and save some cap  as well. 

56 minutes ago, warfelg said:

because we got Edmunds

did you read this somewhere as a matter of fact or what they are planning to do for ILB?

Wagner would be close to half the price of Edmunds and better right now IMO. 

Do you think we trade up into the very late RD1  and have that extra 5th year option possibility? This #32 pick is looking really good about now. 

How many CB's in this draft would you say are comparable skillset to Sutton? It is said to be a good CB class, so I thought I would ask. This might be the year to  finally get THAT  CB1

James Daniels put on some sheer mass this offseason. He now weighs 327 on the Steelers website. I am quite certain you weigh 295. The problem with Daniels is the 21 reps. His movement is great if he had the strength to go with it. If he was actually more in the Dan Moore category of strength that would make that probably college listing of 327 number more believable. 

I also know for certain that the Steelers weigh you when you walk in the door and that's why your weight never changes. IIRC Bussy is listed at 255 or 285, depending on season. So, why'd you update his weight on the website to his wikipedia weight?

Did someone say he was light??

On 2/26/2023 at 12:14 PM, 3rivers said:

Weidl - brings in LT Dillard that he drafted in Philly

Munchak (assistant HC or whatever title) - brings  in OG Risner who he coached

Minkah - helps bring former teammate Evans

Not sure how we persuade Wagner, other than hope .  

Munchak would be a really good idea. I like HEAD COACH. Run Game Coordinator. It doesn't diminish the contributions of Pat Meyer in any way but it does get him a direct supervisor.

And then he can jump in and teach the young lineman when necessary (all the time)

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 9:48 AM, warfelg said:

I had him at 4 yrs for $60m with something similar for one of the first five moves of the offseason. You save money and keep a leader in the community. We differ in two ways. One. I want the last two years to have higher salaries because he's not playing and it will evaporate. Two. Cam would play the entire four years of the contract.