State of the Steelers

warfelg

They currently have $11.1 mill in cap room….they need roughly $5 mill for year 1 cap hits for the rookie class and they like to have $6-7 mill for in season stuff.

Im guess they’ll save $5 mill or so from extending Trubisky.

My guess is for maybe some LB depth and/Highsmith extension(adding a few mill up front to this years cap hit like they did with DJ).

“Isaac is a really, really special player,” Kelce said. “I know we’ve said that here for a long time, and I still don’t think people really truly grasp what he did for our room. And me personally, I think he’s probably the smartest player I’ve ever been around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43M said:

That Trubisky extension is ******* awful.

Why? He’s in the same range as guys like Tyrod Taylor, Jacoby Brisset, and Taylor Heineke. I think he’s very much in that tier. I’m not the biggest Trubisky fan but I’d rather keep him around for the sake of continuity and he’s an above average QB2. Switching out backup QBs every year or every other year isn’t ideal to me.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Why? He’s in the same range as guys like Tyrod Taylor, Jacoby Brisset, and Taylor Heineke. I think he’s very much in that tier. I’m not the biggest Trubisky fan but I’d rather keep him around for the sake of continuity and he’s an above average QB2. Switching out backup QBs every year or every other year isn’t ideal to me.

Yea it’s not bad…I woulda preferred Dalton but he got roughly the same deal at 2/$10.

I probably would’ve just put righter cut him but I understand the continuity aspect and with the QB play as a whole around the NFL.

9 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I would have rather signed Brisset

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I will pull back A LITTLE if only because the first report I read said 3 years/$33m, but its not quite THAT bad.

However, I still hate it.

Not entirely sure what makes Trubisky NOTABLY better than Rudolph.   He IS better, mind you, but I'd rather have Rudolph for scraps than Trubisky at $7m a year and $9m guaranteed over the next 3 years.    So we have that money tied up in a guy who will likely (and hopefully) be sitting on the bench most of that time, and even if he comes off, isnt that good.

He made $2.5m with a the Bills after a dismal year with the Bears, and he has done nothing to improve his value.   He didnt look good last year either.   He had a few nice drives and all of a sudden, he is supposedly worth THIS?  No.

Trubisky IMO is merely an average backup.    Rudolph is slightly below average.   if Kenny goes down or doesent work out, neither of these guys are taking us anywhere.  

People can feel however they want about this move....but I think its pretty terrible, and makes me lose a little faith in Khan TBH.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I would have rather signed Brisset

I was mistaken. Trubisky is well below Brisset.

Brisset is around 8/year and Trubisky is around 5.5/year. Plus Brisset has a much better chance to start games in Washington than here.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Not entirely sure what makes Trubisky NOTABLY better than Rudolph.   He IS better, mind you, but I'd rather have Rudolph for scraps than Trubisky at $7m a year and $9m guaranteed over the next 3 years.    So we have that money tied up in a guy who will likely (and hopefully) be sitting on the bench most of that time, and even if he comes off, isnt that good.

the cap hit is the problem with mitch. Play is too, but the cap is the main issue here. Mason might actully be decent compared to mitch , but he has never had a fair chance IMO.  Our OC's , +  Earl and Myles made sure of that .  Not defending Mason, but just never thought he was given the same chance . 

To me this is more of a colbert move to slow the bleeding of a bad decision. Similar to keeping players around because he never got players to replace them. This just happens to be a costly deal that other teams have for a fraction of the price for comparable pay. Bad signing by Khan. He was conned, so much for all the Khan artist BS and he better not make more of these types of signings. 

Earl Thomas is getting $7M, elite ILB. Our QB gets more to sit on the sidelines? Something doesn't add up here ?

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Trubisky IMO is merely an average backup.    Rudolph is slightly below average.   if Kenny goes down or doesent work out, neither of these guys are taking us anywhere.  

People can feel however they want about this move....but I think its pretty terrible, and makes me lose a little faith in Khan TBH.    

By this logic why even have a backup QB at all? If Kenny goes down the season is over anyway so might as well throw TJ Watt at QB2. Not every injury is season ending, what if it’s just Mitch or Mason for one game at the end of the season to clinch the playoffs, or to finish out a 4th quarter protecting a 7 point lead? I’ll take my chances with Mitch over Mason 10 out of 10 times.

The second statement is laughable. We extended our QB2 at a completely and reasonable fair market value and and because YOU think Mason is almost as good as Trubisky it’s made you lose faith in Khan? Give me a break. You can think that Mason is a decent backup and still acknowledge it’s worth having someone better than him around at a fair price. 

There’s a reason Mason received almost zero interest on the open market and settled for returning here as a QB3. And again, Trubisky is getting paid around the same as Tyrod Taylor, Andy Dalton, and Taylor Heineke…you’re acting as if it’s some overpay. 

I see Mason as a Landry Jones caliber backup and Trubisky as a Charlie Batch/Byron Leftwich caliber backup. Both are “fine” but I feel a lot better with the latter when the chips are pushed in.

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

YOU think Mason is almost as good as Trubisky it’s made you lose faith in Khan? Give me a break.

who said either were good?

Thats the problem I have with this, it's very colbert like. Would have preferred them getting new QB's, look at what was out there early on.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:26 AM, bigben07MVP said:

By this logic why even have a backup QB at all? If Kenny goes down the season is over anyway so might as well throw TJ Watt at QB2.

Thats not my logic.  Stop being obtuse.

Not every injury is season ending, what if it’s just Mitch or Mason for one game at the end of the season to clinch the playoffs, or to finish out a 4th quarter protecting a 7 point lead? I’ll take my chances with Mitch over Mason 10 out of 10 times.

So MAYBE a few quarters a year of slightly better play is worth $7m a year?

Sorry, dont agree with that.  

I get it.  Its an insurance policy.   Just not a good one.

The second statement is laughable. We extended our QB2 at a completely and reasonable fair market value and and because YOU think Mason is almost as good as Trubisky it’s made you lose faith in Khan? Give me a break. You can think that Mason is a decent backup and still acknowledge it’s worth having someone better than him around at a fair price. 

I already said people could feel however they want.    If you like it...good for you.   Stop getting triggered because I dont.   

I acknowledge Trubisky is better, but Im not in favor of paying that type of money for a mediocre backup.   

Your idea of "fair price" and mine for Trubisky are very different.   

So be it.

There’s a reason Mason received almost zero interest on the open market and settled for returning here as a QB3.

Youre acting like Trubisky is in some high demand.   The same Trubisky who settled for $2.5m with the Bills after an abysmal season with the Bears, and did nothing to improve his stock since then.    Outside of a few decent drives last year, he looked laughably mediocre, and not significantly better than Rudolph looked.    Again, Trubisky is better, but not for that price.

Just because WE paid him doesn't mean he was in high demand.   

I was okay with his first contract because we were essentially paying him to compete for starter.    This time, he is the definitive backup, and not one I have much faith in.   Certainly not several million more than Rudolph.

And again, Trubisky is getting paid around the same as Tyrod Taylor, Andy Dalton, and Taylor Heineke…you’re acting as if it’s some overpay. 

I think it is.   Trubisky is excruciatingly mediocre with no upside.    

I see Mason as a Landry Jones caliber backup and Trubisky as a Charlie Batch/Byron Leftwich caliber backup.

Chaz was a significantly smarter QB than Trubisky....just very a very meh athlete and arm.

I dont even mind Trubisky as backup.   Just hate the price and length.