State of the Steelers

warfelg

34 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

From this to calling Jones-JPJ-Benton trifecta….I need to start buying more lottery tickets.

Well, people wanted to know what they were gonna do about a coverage LB, now they have the answer. I think Holcomb and Alexander are your likely 2023 starters.

6 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

From this to calling Jones-JPJ-Benton trifecta….I need to start buying more lottery tickets.

lets not stop there though. Now that they got everyone you wanted, whats the crystal ball saying about the rest of the season :P

It has been a great offseason, I can't believe it .   Khan > colbert for the offseason.  Nice hire by colbert, but Khan is really wining me over and I was a skeptic of the FO in recent years.   

as for Kwon, has he lost a fair amount of  speed?  

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

lets not stop there though. Now that they got everyone you wanted, whats the crystal ball saying about the rest of the season :P

It has been a great offseason, I can't believe it .   Khan > colbert for the offseason.  Nice hire by colbert, but Khan is really wining me over and I was a skeptic of the FO in recent years.   

as for Kwon, has he lost a fair amount of  speed?  

Firstly, the last several years I thought Colbert had done a really crappy job, should've been relieved of duties. Khan just furthers that point. 

As for Kwon and his speed, Kwon hasn't been healthy in a while, but he is only 28, so I'm not sure he has actually lost speed. If he is fully healthy, imo, he is a very good addition. 

37 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

Firstly, the last several years I thought Colbert had done a really crappy job, should've been relieved of duties. Khan just furthers that point. 

As for Kwon and his speed, Kwon hasn't been healthy in a while, but he is only 28, so I'm not sure he has actually lost speed. If he is fully healthy, imo, he is a very good addition. 

I feel like Khan is picking up on what Colbert lost on. That ability to make shrewd moves. The move up for Broderick Jones was classy in jumping a team that wanted him and didn’t give up the farm to do so. Being patient and letting JPJ slide to him at the top of the second. Getting that 4th back by dropping by a much smaller point value than he went up for. Taking a player with health concerns 2 rounds later than he should have gone. 

I also think his contracts have been kinda special. Nothing kills you but guys got paid their worth. I think Nate Herbig will be one of the best backup IOL in the league. Roberts and Holcomb are awesome under the radar contracts. Retaining Ogunjobi and Kazee on undervalue deals because of injuries was great. Fehoko and Neal were good adds at fringe spots. Seumalo was a HUGE pickup for the price. Robinson and Peterson were two great vet pickups. 

But the biggest one I saw was not being afraid to just cut ties with guys who weren’t working. No need to waste more camp snaps on guys like Anthony Miller, Teague, Crowder, Witherspoon, Maulet, Jones. And that’s not getting into the guys who were obvious cuts. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

I feel like Khan is picking up on what Colbert lost on. That ability to make shrewd moves. The move up for Broderick Jones was classy in jumping a team that wanted him and didn’t give up the farm to do so. Being patient and letting JPJ slide to him at the top of the second. Getting that 4th back by dropping by a much smaller point value than he went up for. Taking a player with health concerns 2 rounds later than he should have gone. 

I also think his contracts have been kinda special. Nothing kills you but guys got paid their worth. I think Nate Herbig will be one of the best backup IOL in the league. Roberts and Holcomb are awesome under the radar contracts. Retaining Ogunjobi and Kazee on undervalue deals because of injuries was great. Fehoko and Neal were good adds at fringe spots. Seumalo was a HUGE pickup for the price. Robinson and Peterson were two great vet pickups. 

But the biggest one I saw was not being afraid to just cut ties with guys who weren’t working. No need to waste more camp snaps on guys like Anthony Miller, Teague, Crowder, Witherspoon, Maulet, Jones. And that’s not getting into the guys who were obvious cuts. 

This. Well stated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Very well said, but how can you forget Spillane on that list of guys he moved on from? 😅 When I saw they let him go, that’s when I knew Kahn wasn’t ok with sticking with the status quo.

Also, I am praying Gunner O is added to that list.

14 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Very well said, but how can you forget Spillane on that list of guys he moved on from? 😅 When I saw they let him go, that’s when I knew Kahn wasn’t ok with sticking with the status quo.

Also, I am praying Gunner O is added to that list.

Haha well Spillane was a full on FA but yes. 

I think Gunner O is still around because KR/PR doesn’t have a “guy”. It’s got a competition but no one guy that can get it done. Before last year Gunner was a reliable good KR/PR player so I think he’s kept around in the faith that if no one in the competition steps up then it’s his. 

With Gunner I think the WR room would be DJ, Pickens, ARII, Boykin, CAIII, Gunner O. 

Without him I think it might go DJ, Pickens, ARII, Boykin, CAIII, Butler (no hat). 

I think the duo who gets most effected hat wise by Gunner O being around is Washington/Heyward. 

https://steelersnow.com/pittsburgh-steelers-reveal-kwon-alexander-uniform-number/

they are letting Kwon wear 26?  I thought the team was staying with old traditional numbers.

also, the article has a major flaw when they mention former steelers that wore 26, and they never mentioned Woodson.  IMO that number should be out of circulation because of Woodson.  

I’m a little late to the party, but I really like the Alexander signing. I was not confident in Roberts or Robinson as starters at all. I think one of them, or both, will have a role on the defense, but I can’t see anyway either can play a lot of snaps. They can be a hammer but I think both are better GL or short yardage defenders/core ST guys. 

Kwon and Holcomb will allow for  much more diverse things. Neither are great coverage guys, but they can get by. Both are fast twitch guys that can make plays behind the LOS as well as take the ball away. I think Kwon will fill in for some of the stuff Edmunds did well, mostly chasing Lamar Jackson down the LOS. 

Im excited to see how the ILB room shakes out. A lot of pretty quality guys fighting for a couple spots. That leads to some fun usually. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It almost seems like we’re so underrated that we’re now becoming overrated. Everyone is picking us as their dark horse and it’s losing its shine. 

as hopeful this might be, the reality sets in that canada is still here.  How much will he hold the team back is what we will find out. Maybe he makes changes and the offence takes off, still hope but wait and see

On 8/2/2023 at 1:17 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

It almost seems like we’re so underrated that we’re now becoming overrated. Everyone is picking us as their dark horse and it’s losing its shine. 

I don't get it.

As I said in another thread, we still look very much like a middle of the road team, with a chance of being better than expected.

There are way too many "what ifs" with this team for me to get too excited.

• Like 2