State of the Steelers

warfelg

7 hours ago, warfelg said:

Who’s praised him after this game? I haven’t said anything. I don’t see anyone on here saying anything about it right now.

the media praised as usual. Ryan , brushi, moss etc.   

why doesn't the media question why tomlin had mitch instead of mason?  Even when there is no GP type drama to distract most on this, there should have been some asking about the persistence with  mitch or even having him on the team at all after last year.  Not the media though, they seem one sided too often for me 

https://steelersnow.com/steelers-still-have-two-massive-offensive-line-questions/

as much as chuks is disliked here, himat RT is probably better than moore at LT

cole is having issues

Why not try

Jones, Semo, Daniels/Herbig, Daniels/Herbig, Chuks/Spencer?

We know moore is a tomlin player but when does tomlin finally make the change? Probably only when injury forces this

7 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

https://steelersnow.com/steelers-still-have-two-massive-offensive-line-questions/

as much as chuks is disliked here, himat RT is probably better than moore at LT

cole is having issues

Why not try

Jones, Semo, Daniels/Herbig, Daniels/Herbig, Chuks/Spencer?

We know moore is a tomlin player but when does tomlin finally make the change? Probably only when injury forces this

They’re not changing Moore and Cole out this late in the season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AFF said:

They’re not changing Moore and Cole out this late in the season.

I don't think they will either. Would you or anyone else here for that matter? 

It just doesn't seem right to allow this to go on all season. The chuks benching was about what he said, yet it should/could have been about play. 

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think we have a future All-Pro on our hands. Minka is still young. we only have two guys worth keeping in the secodary, but thankfully they're Minka and JP. I bet Khan will do a better job building the secondary through FA this offseason too.

My only gripe is that I wished they woulda tried to keep Sutton.

I know his deal with the Lions was kinda backloaded and had void years but he’s one of the few guys they developed at CB and coulda helped inside or out.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AFF said:

My only gripe is that I wished they woulda tried to keep Sutton.

I know his deal with the Lions was kinda backloaded and had void years but he’s one of the few guys they developed at CB and coulda helped inside or out.

I base this on nothing but feeling, but I think they thought they could do the old Steelers “let them hit free agency then match” thing and the Lions hit him with 2 years guaranteed and they went — wait, no…

You saw Larry O get slightly more than one year guaranteed right after Sutton, so felt like they tried to adjust a little. 

If this defense had Sutton would feel a lot better about the backend moving forward. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I base this on nothing but feeling, but I think they thought they could do the old Steelers “let them hit free agency then match” thing and the Lions hit him with 2 years guaranteed and they went — wait, no…

You saw Larry O get slightly more than one year guaranteed right after Sutton, so felt like they tried to adjust a little. 

If this defense had Sutton would feel a lot better about the backend moving forward. 

Yes with Larry O they seemingly made the 2nd year(2024) have the highest cap hit.

They desperately need a 2nd outside CB…not to mention a slot.

If it was my way, I’m cutting Cam(or forced retirement ala Troy) and taking his $16mill in cap space and finding a solid but more importantly younger 34 DE and a solid #2 CB.

That can be done in FA with the contracts having a little reduced year 1 cap hits…will they?

I don’t think they will want to rip the bandaid off as I think they should so no.

If I had a checklist for FA, my top 2 needs are OL and CB, no doubt in my mind.

Edited by AFF

15 minutes ago, AFF said:

If it was my way, I’m cutting Cam(or forced retirement ala Troy) and taking his $16mill in cap space and finding a solid but more importantly younger 34 DE and a solid #2 CB.

That can be done in FA with the contracts having a little reduced year 1 cap hits…will they?

I think they’ll do the second part but they won’t do the first. Cams still playing at a high level and it would end up costing more to do what you want there than it would save or it’s a huge talent hit as after Leonard Williams, Christian Wilkins, and Javon Kinlaw. 

At DL I rather see Cam get an extension with void years, cut Loudermilk, cut or pay cut Larry O, promote Benton to starter, draft a NT higher who can really stuff the run, and sign a rotational DL on the cheap like Justin Madubuike. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I think they’ll do the second part but they won’t do the first. Cams still playing at a high level and it would end up costing more to do what you want there than it would save or it’s a huge talent hit as after Leonard Williams, Christian Wilkins, and Javon Kinlaw. 

At DL I rather see Cam get an extension with void years, cut Loudermilk, cut or pay cut Larry O, promote Benton to starter, draft a NT higher who can really stuff the run, and sign a rotational DL on the cheap like Justin Madubuike. 

I don’t see the point of extending Heyward…while still good he’s a depreciating asset and with that $$$, it could be used on 1 very good(and younger) player or spread out over 2 solid players.

In terms of NT, I actually agree a run stuffer is needed. I haven’t don’t a dive on NT prospects or FA possibilities yet.

Edited by AFF