State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Bit of a hot take that leans into some of this conversation regarding future roster build that I am sure will go over swimmingly to some here:

They are setting this up to potentially be Tomlin's last year with the Steelers. 

As I have stated before, just seems odd to have this much cap space and not be using it. What are they saving the money for? Great that they have flexibility, but we can sign the biggest name FAs in 2025, resign all of our current guys, and STILL have money left over.

So what are they setting up a "cleansing" of the roster for...which is where my hot take comes in. Maybe it's to move in a completely different direction. 

My red herring is Donte Jackson. A questionable value trade to start but is a guy we have apparently loved since college and tried to get in FA and a trade last seasons before landing now. He is also at a position group that has no reputable NFL name outside of JPJ on roster in 2025. And instead of taking his $10M cap hit and extending him at a reasonable number...we have him take a pay cut and play to his expiration date. You finally land a guy you LOVE and have coveted but just make him take a paycut? Seems more like a favor than someone they see a future with. 

Take Queen, another highly talked about by Tomlin: big signing, but a deal that he likely doesn't see year 2 of unless he plays pro bowl/all-pro level. They even drafted a guy who could very easily be his replacement. 

I am not saying it's likely, but I think it's non-zero chance that they are setting themselves up for a potential leadership shift. He is going to get an extension, but that plays no role as I don't think the Steelers would ever fire him. Likely a mutual decision to retire/tv (then maybe coach again) or find a suitable place he would want to be traded to. 

I think it's more likely that this is the year that sets up the decision year.... but just a thought. 

Hmmm. That's an interesting thought. I wouldn't love it. I really like the idea of Tomlin building his team up with no more ties to "Cowher's team." The QB's on the 1 year deals also could add credence to your take.  

40 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Heard this one out there but with Tank Dell, Stephon Diggs, and Nico Collins; John Metchie III might be on the outs in Houston. Would you take a flier on him?

I've heard Metchie comps for Roman Wilson. I don't have much of an opinion on Metchie as a player, as I don't know much about him. I remember we played the Texans and they mollywopped us, but I have blocked everything else about that game out of my head. 

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've heard Metchie comps for Roman Wilson. I don't have much of an opinion on Metchie as a player, as I don't know much about him. I remember we played the Texans and they mollywopped us, but I have blocked everything else about that game out of my head. 

Athletic, fast, decent size. He has cancer his rookie year (2022) and had a slow development due to an other injury last year. 

9 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Any predictions on post June 1st pickups? I know that's when many predicted the Suttons, Aiyuks, Deebos...etc to be added. 

Truthfully…I’m guessing they get 1 of Sutton or Aiyuk.

They restructured Highsmith giving them $18 mill In cap room when they didn’t have to…my guess is that something fell through right before the draft.

I would say Sutton is more likely.

4 minutes ago, AFF said:

Truthfully…I’m guessing they get 1 of Sutton or Aiyuk.

They restructured Highsmith giving them $18 mill In cap room when they didn’t have to…my guess is that something fell through right before the draft.

I would say Sutton is more likely.

IDK if anything happens but I think Sutton is more likely because Aiyuk is gonna get PAID. 

6 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

IDK if anything happens but I think Sutton is more likely because Aiyuk is gonna get PAID. 

Well reporter Joe Lombardi just said that Steelers and 49ers had a framework of deal for 1 of Aiyuk/Deebo and it fell through last second.

Aiyuk is probably looking at $25-$28 mill AAV over 3-4 years.

2 minutes ago, AFF said:

Well reporter Joe Lombardi just said that Steelers and 49ers had a framework of deal for 1 of Aiyuk/Deebo and it fell through last second.

Aiyuk is probably looking at $25-$28 mill AAV over 3-4 years.

IDK, he should get more than Waddle's 3 year $85m.

2 minutes ago, AFF said:

Yea maybe…I could see up to $30 mill AAV

Sounds right to me. Which goes back to my original statement, I don't see them paying that and therefore, going with Sutton. That is, assuming both are in play. 

So Michael Lombardi said that the Steelers thought they had a deal for either Aiyuk or Deebo, that’s why Highsmith was restructured, and it fell apart last minute. Sounds like a case of cold feet by SF and backed out. 

On 5/30/2024 at 12:17 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m not too upset about the Daniels news. I think OG is pretty easy to replace. I’m also not infatuated with Daniels. I think he’s much better on paper. He never really wows me. If I’m paying top dollar for a G, he better be caving in DL’s and banishing second level defenders into the shadow realm. Nothing wrong with lighting a fire under him either. Let him play for a new contract. Plus, if he and Najee go elsewhere we could be in on some comp picks. 

Not to mention, that there could be any number of scenarios as to why we aren't re-signing Daniels now.

Say what you want about PFF's analysis, but their player grading is respected throughout the league, and bottom line, Daniels overall grade has regressed for 72 in 2021, to 66 in 2022, and 62 in 2023, so maybe they aren't overly enamored by their return on investment, and want to see how he responds this year, with a new set of 'bookends', with Jones moving to LT, and Troy at RT?  Maybe they expect he'll continue to regress, thus allowing them to sign him for cheaper? Or maybe they are seeing some things in Fautanu, that makes them believe he might actually, ultimately, be more of a force at RG, than RT, and are looking long term to next season?  Maybe they really like how Spencer, and or Herbig, is developing at OG/OC, and/or Dylan Cook at RT?  Maybe they really like what they see in McCormick, and believe he could start at LG, sooner rather than later, and move Seumalo to RG (who has 19 games starting experience at RG)?  There could be any number, or any combination of reasons, as to why they feel re-signing Daniels at this point is not prudent, nor the best scenario for the team at the moment.

Essentially, your explanation seems to be the most likely, and I have no issue with that at all, especially considering how 'fat' we are at OL, currently.  Maybe lighting a fire under him, as you say, will get him back to what we expected when we signed him, and feel this is the best way to motivate him, understanding that even if they have to pay AAV of $3-4M more next offseason is worth the gamble.

49 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Say what you want about PFF's analysis, but their player grading is respected throughout the league, and bottom line, Daniels overall grade has regressed for 72 in 2021, to 66 in 2022, and 62 in 2023,

Woah. I generally don’t pay attention to their OL scores because they often attribute the wrong thing to the wrong guy but that’s not great. Curious as to what his run vs pass blocking grade is. 

On 5/31/2024 at 4:05 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

Hmmm. That's an interesting thought. I wouldn't love it. I really like the idea of Tomlin building his team up with no more ties to "Cowher's team." The QB's on the 1 year deals also could add credence to your take.  

Seems to also be a trend around the league too though. I think as players want more GTD money, the trade off has been shorter contracts. And I brought that up when Kirk Cousins first got his. So players get their money and owners get their flexibility. Of course its also good for players, as less practice and less hitting, more of them are playing longer so they can get more money by signing 2-3 big money 3 year deals than one big 7 year deal.

Looking at this off seasons contracts, Robert Hunt got the longest deal - 5 years on paper, but there’s an out after 3. There’s only 8 deals with a 4 year on paper, Cousins and Wilkins have outs after 3 years, Josh Jacob’s and Xavier McKinney have an out after 1, the rest have an out at 2 years. Even in the 3 year deal, there’s a few with outs after 1 year like Leonard Williams, Dorance Armstrong, Jordyn Brooks, Blake Cashman, and so on.

Contrast this with 2015 - there was a 6 year deal with an out after 5; 17 5 year deals, a few with 2 year outs, most with 3 year outs, 1 with a 4 year out; another 19 deals that were 4 years with most having 2-3 year outs. 2018 there was 9 5 year deals, another 14 4 year deals. And if you go each subsequent year you see more and more movement towards what we see now.

I honestly think this has been the trend and movement overall of the NFL, especially as we’re on the verge of big new contracts for TV rights, streaming rights, betting rights. More and more money is going to keep pouring into the NFL and players are getting smarter and smarter to leverage that to their benefit.

So a Quick Look around the NFL tells me this isn’t a uniquely Steelers thing. The offense being mostly on short deals (7 ‘starters’ and 2 primary backups on their last year) is somewhat unique, but then again, new OC, offense in flux, it’s good to not force yourself to be tied to someone long term if they aren’t someone (as the current FO) you invested a high pick in (Jones, Fautanu, Frazier).

Anyways, rant over.