State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I had a much longer response written @Chieferific but I guess you’re right. Because of an honest mistake of putting his 2020 rather than 2021 grade my entire point is invalid. 

Interesting. Much like your first post on this topic, I never said that. But your sarcasm is noted. The point was, and is, I think he can be successful in the right role. I like the Rover/Hybrid/Joker. Especially in this defense. It would appear the team did too. 

22 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

same here

not sure if it's   PFF or the fact if a given player is in an improper scheme/role ,  which can happen to event he best FS in the league.  

Is the plan to have Minkah be his usual FS this season?

There’s a lot that can go into it. The biggest one where PFF to me takes the loss is they grade every play. Without knowing what the call or assignments are you can’t be for sure who was at fault. Like if it was cover-3 and the middle deep guy doesn’t pick up his assignment, PFF would tend to negatively grade the closest safety and say it was cover-2. 

So their game to game metrics don’t really work. But when you average out over a season and over a group of season, individual plays being that badly graded tend to average out for the times the player blew their assignment and someone else got the bad grade for it. 

At the end of the days they are all just tools to explain on paper what is happening in a real environment. I mean to give an example, Justin Simmons is highly highly rated by PFF (historically for a safety) and still sitting out there. 

I think the plan is to let Minkah be Minkah which is why, IMO, Elliott is a really solid signing. He can do the robber role to cover TEs in a big nickel package, let Kazee play the box, and put Minkah high. This is why I also think they wanted both Chinn and Elliott, because Chinn doesn’t cover all that well so that would have put Kazee/Minkah needing to cover, which likely means Kazee single high because Minkah is the better cover guy. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

The point was, and is, I think he can be successful in the right role. I like the Rover/Hybrid/Joker. Especially in this defense. It would appear the team did too. 

So Kazee’s role, not the likely role Elliott would fill which is a cover guy (which since it’s been lost is my original counterpoint to Elliott being a pivot after losing Chinn). 

Elliott is a very different safety from Chinn. Chinn is a LBer who can do some safety things while Elliott is a safety who can do LBer things. If that was the pivot it’s a terrible one considering what was out there. 

Edited by warfelg

11 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

But your sarcasm is noted.

I wasn’t being sarcastic. I honestly feel like that your intent was to invalidate everything by pointing to a mistake over showing where it was to positively move a conversation forward. 

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So Kazee’s role, not the likely role Elliott would fill which is a cover guy (which since it’s been lost is my original counterpoint to Elliott being a pivot after losing Chinn). 

Elliott is a very different safety from Chinn. Chinn is a LBer who can do some safety things while Elliott is a safety who can do LBer things. If that was the pivot it’s a terrible one considering what was out there. 

Agreed. Which is why I proposed the other option of perhaps wanting both. Maybe Wilson is that guy or maybe even Watts. If I have to pick, I prefer my SS to be an enforcer and strong in run support and ok in coverage. If others prefer their SS to be strong in coverage and ok in run support, that's fine. Ideally you have someone who can do both. 

3 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Agreed. Which is why I proposed the other option of perhaps wanting both. Maybe Wilson is that guy or maybe even Watts. If I have to pick, I prefer my SS to be an enforcer and strong in run support and ok in coverage. If others prefer their SS to be strong in coverage and ok in run support, that's fine. Ideally you have someone who can do both. 

Elliotts had PFF run grades in the 80’s multiple times. He’s strong in run support and good at coverage. 

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I wasn’t being sarcastic. I honestly feel like that your intent was to invalidate everything by pointing to a mistake over showing where it was to positively move a conversation forward. 

It wasn't. Stop assuming and just ask. 

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Elliotts had PFF run grades in the 80’s multiple times. He’s strong in run support and good at coverage. 

Great. Hopefully it will translate into the Steelers' system. 

8 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

It wasn't. Stop assuming and just ask. 

This is the dumbest back and forth. 

You could have highlighted what was wrong and said “it was actually 2020 that was the 50-whatever and 2021 was 71”. You chose to write “I put that all there because you were wrong.” Not that hard to politely point to the mistake rather than make it a dragged out issue by just telling someone they are wrong. 

That’s all I’ll say on it. End of the day Chinn has one season he was “better” than Elliott on roughly the same number of career snaps. I said whoop de do to the counting numbers because that’s very role dependent and surrounding role dependent. So many people consider Minkahs worst two years to be the ones he’s had the most tackles and plays like that while his best ones have half the tackles. Being low in receptions allowed doesn’t mean much to me. 29 receptions allowed, is meaningless without his targets. In 2021 he allowed a 65% completion rate. That equates to 45 targets on the season. So 29th in receptions allowed and 25th in targets? He was also t-46th in INTs

Regarding whether the team had more interest in Chinn or Elliott: I think it's likely they were parallel paths. My understanding would be that if you need a safety, you don't go after 1 and wait, you send out multiple offers and see who is interested. Nothing is final until the contract is signed, so sending an offer out there doesn't obligate the team to sign them as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Speaking of Safety, I still want to go out and sign Justin Simmons. 

Me too. 3 safety sets like that with Queen would be really fun and flexible. 

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

Me too. 3 safety sets like that with Queen would be really fun and flexible. 

don't forget about Wilson too, TE's might not be a major problem anymore, finally