State of the Steelers

warfelg

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Also, yesterday in his interview on The Fan, Omar Khan confirmed that the Highsmith restructure was done to five them the flexibility to make a move and they did it at a time they felt like they needed the space.

IMO this leads to credence of that rumor that the Steelers thought they had a deal in place for one of the SF WR’s.

If that's true, I'm glad they didn't feel the need to run out and make a deal with someone else just because they had the money. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

If that's true, I'm glad they didn't feel the need to run out and make a deal with someone else just because they had the money. 

100%. I’m surprised he divulged that that’s why it was done and not the generic “we want flexibility” statement but rather saying they wanted to do something and have the freedom but it didn’t happen. It’s my own injection to say that it links with the SF rumors but the timing links up.

I do think this makes the other rumors like Sutton or Metcalf hold less water IMO because that seems to have been the pivot off the SF rumors.

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

I do not think $8M for a RB is team friendly but we can disagree

is it fair how RB's get underpaid then us fans expect them to get less :ph34r:

I would rather slightly "overpay" a reliable RB than to overpay a player with recent injury history.  Tough decisions, but the RB wins this one IMO.   Anyways. 6.8M vs 8M isn't that bad IMO...... but if it got over 12M then it can cost the team eventually.  

If we could just remember paying chuks what  they did and this slight overpay for a RB is nothing in comparison.  Peterson was terrible,  mich, others over the years have been way more overpaid than Najee will be. 

43 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

is it fair how RB's get underpaid then us fans expect them to get less :ph34r:

I would rather slightly "overpay" a reliable RB than to overpay a player with recent injury history.  Tough decisions, but the RB wins this one IMO.   Anyways. 6.8M vs 8M isn't that bad IMO...... but if it got over 12M then it can cost the team eventually.  

If we could just remember paying chuks what  they did and this slight overpay for a RB is nothing in comparison.  Peterson was terrible,  mich, others over the years have been way more overpaid than Najee will be. 

I will say 2 things:

1. What someone deserves vs. what they're worth are not the same things.

2. Past mistakes don't excuse future/current mistakes. This is like when Deshaun Watson signed his fully guaranteed contract. Him getting a fully guaranteed contract doesn't mean that it's the standard going forward just because a team over-extended for him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

100%. I’m surprised he divulged that that’s why it was done and not the generic “we want flexibility” statement but rather saying they wanted to do something and have the freedom but it didn’t happen. It’s my own injection to say that it links with the SF rumors but the timing links up.

I do think this makes the other rumors like Sutton or Metcalf hold less water IMO because that seems to have been the pivot off the SF rumors.

I just don't see the 49er option as realistic, no matter what is said. Even when compared to Metcalf, I think Sutton is the most realistic option because he will be cheaper, is great in the redzone, and has a good rapport/relationship with Wilson. Trouble is, I think Sutton is a good guy, now that I am not confusing him with Jeudy anymore, but if he were to remain 'difficult'/withdrawn with black and gold in mind...this could really happen IMO. 

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

I think that the Steelers should let Cam play the 2024 season for a new contract, whether it's with them or another team. You have to prove your worth in the now, not the yesterday, and we didn't win the superbowl last year. They are drafting DL high next year regardless, and they don't even know how much better the offense will be or if the defense will perform at an elite level. There is no reason to commit money to players past their prime right now. I'd look into extending Warren and Friermuth. I'd wait on Cam, Najee, Daniels, etc.

Edited by rlon

27 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

I find the lack of resignings as a whole interesting.  

I think this is also a bit of posturing by Cam.  I think he is just making himself look bad by doing this in the media though. It’s not a good look for him.

Did you see the statement about having family in Cleveland? 

This is a deal I’m confident should get done. I imagine it’s going to come down to the guaranteed money and how it’s structured so Cam gets his worth but the team is protected for a sudden decline. What’s allowed them to be so patient is Khan isn’t up against it with the cap so he doesn’t need to reduce Cams cap hit at all, so this is Cams only real tactic in negotiation - tell the fans “look I’ll play anywhere, I want my value, so blame the team” after all his talk of being a one helmet player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

This is a deal I’m confident should get done. 

It likely will get done, I’d argue on whether it should get done, particularly right now as opposed to next offseason. If they do it to save cap money this year and get a big time WR to pair with a Pickens, my attitude would likely change.