State of the Steelers

warfelg

3 minutes ago, rlon said:

It likely will get done, I’d argue on whether it should get done, particularly right now as opposed to next offseason. If they do it to save cap money this year and get a big time WR to pair with a Pickens, my attitude would likely change. 

A deal now would be more likely to decrease his cap hit this year than anything. 

9 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Herbig getting the praise.   quality reserve for TJ and Alex will help the team .  

still not sure about CB opposite Porter though but wait and see

Herbig is going to be a stud OLB in this league. I have no doubt about that. I predict that he looks better than Highsmith when on the field this season. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

acting his age

glad he is gone, but not sure of the trade. Would have much rather them just sign Sneed and be set for the next 5-10 years at CB in this passing league. Khan can't get an A grade from me for the offseason because of this, but still good overall .

How do you think dionte will be on the worst team in the league?

19 hours ago, warfelg said:

This is a deal I’m confident should get done. I imagine it’s going to come down to the guaranteed money and how it’s structured so Cam gets his worth but the team is protected for a sudden decline. What’s allowed them to be so patient is Khan isn’t up against it with the cap so he doesn’t need to reduce Cams cap hit at all, so this is Cams only real tactic in negotiation - tell the fans “look I’ll play anywhere, I want my value, so blame the team” after all his talk of being a one helmet player. 

Yeah, I'm not sure what Cam is going on and on about, when in reality, it's exactly what you said--he has no leverage.  We are paying him $24M this season, after he played half the year last year, and he played below his normal standard, due to coming back from injury.  So, he's pushing for this big deal, after a season like that, when he's 35...I mean, he has to know that it's in our best interest to just pay him his $24M this season, and see how healthy and effective he is, then decide whether to re-sign him, and for how much, after our season is complete.

He can whine and cry, and all that jazz, but at the end of the day, he's gonna play as hard as he can this season, regardless, because he wants to play next season, be it for us, or someone else, and he has to prove that at age 36, he can still be a force to be as effective as he has during his younger years.  It's not like being a top tier player, at age 28, with no fears of 'aging out' of the league; he has even more to prove than the average FA.

So, the only thing he can hope for is that we really need to reduce his cap charge this season, by spreading it around, and if that's not the case, than his only recourse is to keep pressing to get a deal done, which is what he is doing.

Anyway, that's how I see it.  Sure, he could try to bank on our desire for him to retire a Steeler, but at the end of the day, I don't think that is going to get him much in the way of contract $.

21 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what Cam is going on and on about, when in reality, it's exactly what you said--he has no leverage.  We are paying him $24M this season, after he played half the year last year, and he played below his normal standard, due to coming back from injury.  So, he's pushing for this big deal, after a season like that, when he's 35...I mean, he has to know that it's in our best interest to just pay him his $24M this season, and see how healthy and effective he is, then decide whether to re-sign him, and for how much, after our season is complete.

He can whine and cry, and all that jazz, but at the end of the day, he's gonna play as hard as he can this season, regardless, because he wants to play next season, be it for us, or someone else, and he has to prove that at age 36, he can still be a force to be as effective as he has during his younger years.  It's not like being a top tier player, at age 28, with no fears of 'aging out' of the league; he has even more to prove than the average FA.

So, the only thing he can hope for is that we really need to reduce his cap charge this season, by spreading it around, and if that's not the case, than his only recourse is to keep pressing to get a deal done, which is what he is doing.

Anyway, that's how I see it.  Sure, he could try to bank on our desire for him to retire a Steeler, but at the end of the day, I don't think that is going to get him much in the way of contract $.

Like I said though, I think it comes down to the GTD money. I think GTD money structured right way for Cam means he’s able to go out on his terms when he’s ready. GTD money structured right for the team means they’ll “retire him” effectively.

I don’t think the money thing is really all that far off. He’s still a top 10 IDL, and those guys are making in the $23MM range AAV. As long as the GTD is low in case he is done that actually AAV doesn’t fully matter.

8 hours ago, rlon said:

Herbig is going to be a stud OLB in this league. I have no doubt about that. I predict that he looks better than Highsmith when on the field this season. 

Not sure about being better than Alex but expectations are up there for 51. If he makes that much of a leap, then then the team is in good shape  there anyways.   Still hoping they sign Golden but I guess not happening?

Interesting. Brandon Aiyuk just told Jayden Daniels on a TikTok call that he’s laugh but crying because “they told me they don’t want me back…I swear”. 

And then I come across a tweet from Chad Johnson and he said “but they’ll use you loving football against you when it’s time to get paid.”

On 6/16/2024 at 6:48 AM, warfelg said:

That guy sure loves going backwards.

Good riddance.   Never particularly liked him.  Sure, he'd still easily be our 2nd best WR....but it always felt like he was more frustrating than he was an asset.  He had his moments, but seemed to always believe he was much better than he actually ever was.