Should The Lions Make A Move To Shake Up The Locker Room

Just Want A Title

With things going wrong it seems like a shake-up move might be needed to help right the ship.  This can be with the coaching staff, the roster or both.  My thoughts:

1.  Replace D-Line Coach Todd Wash--Things clearly aren't working the way anyone expected on the D-Line.  They still aren't winning 1-on-1 battles.

2. Make a splash trade--Charles Harris isn't setting the edge very well and has 1 sack through 5 games. Yes, we just signed him but if he isn't getting it done, lets move on and get something in return if possible.  Maybe we can get a decent kicker in any deal.

How would you shake up the Lions?  Thoughts

I guess for me, I wasn't overly high on this team this year. I'd prefer to finish out the year and if no improvement is made when Cominsky and Paschal come back (I have no hope Levi is coming back) then yes, move on from Wash. I'm not sure what we are going to give up for a "splash trade". Draft picks - no thanks. Young talent - no thanks. Goff - No thanks.

I'd rather address all of this in the draft next year and Free agency. If we are not going to draft a S or LB in the top 3 rounds, then we sure better sign some top tier free agents.

For me, the defensive issues are still a matter of lack of talent. This needs to be addressed. This is also one of the reasons I was pushing for Davis in the first in a trade down scenario. Instead, we traded up for an ACL injured WR around the same spot I was wanting Davis. Nothing against Williams but this offense is #1 (hindsight, I know), and they are primed to go when healthy. We see our defensive issues, and knew it was going to be an issue coming into the year. Just fix it already with talent. Honestly, next year outside of an IOL, I don't know if I want to see an offensive player taken. I know I claimed WR, and I still think it could be useful for how this team is built now; but I want defense all the way at every level.

We need a talented DL person to eat up blockers to help Hutch and free up our pitiful LB group. I think the value of a anchor in the center of the DL is severely under appreciated. I like the flash of the penetrating DT, but I really love the Haloti Ngata's of the world as well. Defenses instantly become better with those guys there.

As it stands now, we need a K, CB, LB, Safety, IDL. Maybe we can get some players who aren't coming off surgery as well. That would be great. Maybe also a new strength and conditioning coach. I believe there is a big issue there. I find it hard to believe every year it's just coincidence all our stars and whole position groups end up injured in the same game. This is beyond NFL injuries. This is smells like improper training either through practice or s&c. In Hard Knocks was saying to keep believing the hard practices would pay off with lack of injuries...that's what the stats show. He told the players to trust him on this. I'm very hesitant to trust him on this one.

I think the shake up we need is to go back to a 3 man front and stand up Harris and Hutch on the edges.  At least in certain situations like 3rd and long.  Hutch can drop into coverage enough to disguise some things but he was at his best in college when standing up.  The fact we put him back with his hand in the dirt has annoyed me given he was a 2nd round prospect as a DE. 

I also would be bringing in more bodies at CB, DT and LB to try and find some bodies that fit what we are trying to do.   Show people their jobs aren't safe and that they have to keep fighting for snaps.  There has to be someone out there that could provide more than what Brockers and Anzalone are giving us.  

I wouldn't be shocked if we look at trading AO. Seems he fits better in the zone schemes and Okudah fits better in the man schemes.  Both are pretty awful in the opposite.  With AO being a free agent after the year and him being a healthy scratch last game, I think its worth seeing what we can get for him.  Hopefully can still sell people who run more zone on what he did last year and get a mid round pick for him.  

33 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

There has to be someone out there that could provide more than what Brockers and Anzalone are giving us.  

If they really want to shake things up, cutting Brockers would definitely send a message. He's supposed to be a veteran presence and a leader on that defense. He hasn't played well enough to justify keeping him around while he hasn't been the leader needed for the rest of the guys either. 

While I think this would be unlikely, I would not be upset if the Lions traded the Rams pick to Carolina (with a little sweetener, maybe AO) for Derrick Brown. He's a known commodity, he's young and he'd still be under contract for another 2 years. The Panthers are going to be turning to a new HC. 

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If they really want to shake things up, cutting Brockers would definitely send a message. He's supposed to be a veteran presence and a leader on that defense. He hasn't played well enough to justify keeping him around while he hasn't been the leader needed for the rest of the guys either. 

While I think this would be unlikely, I would not be upset if the Lions traded the Rams pick to Carolina (with a little sweetener, maybe AO) for Derrick Brown. He's a known commodity, he's young and he'd still be under contract for another 2 years. The Panthers are going to be turning to a new HC. 

I would not trade the Rams pick for Brown.  he is having a good year but he had just solid years the last two.  I don't want to buy high 5 games into a really good season.  If it was a 2nd rounder or AO and a 3rd I would do it but not moving one of those first two picks.  Too much value there especially if the Rams keep sputtering.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would not trade the Rams pick for Brown.  he is having a good year but he had just solid years the last two.  I don't want to buy high 5 games into a really good season.  If it was a 2nd rounder or AO and a 3rd I would do it but not moving one of those first two picks.  Too much value there especially if the Rams keep sputtering.  

You could be right - either way, he's a guy that I would look at targeting. 

I don't think the Rams will wind up as bad as where they are now. They aren't afraid to move picks in order to address team needs and/or acquire high end talent. They'll likely finish somewhere in the 20's IMO. 

53 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You could be right - either way, he's a guy that I would look at targeting. 

I don't think the Rams will wind up as bad as where they are now. They aren't afraid to move picks in order to address team needs and/or acquire high end talent. They'll likely finish somewhere in the 20's IMO. 

I would assume you are right, but stranger things have happened.  If Stafford's elbow isnt right and they can't run the ball or if Aaron Donald or Cooper Kupp gets injured, they may struggle to make the playoffs.  Its relatively common for teams to miss the playoffs after winning the Super Bowl and losing a bunch of key pieces so trading something that likely will be an early 20s pick but could possibly be a top 15 pick is not worth it to me in a year that we are struggling as well.  I would feel different if we had the start the Giants had but were missing a piece on the D Line.    

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would assume you are right, but stranger things have happened.  If Stafford's elbow isnt right and they can't run the ball or if Aaron Donald or Cooper Kupp gets injured, they may struggle to make the playoffs.  Its relatively common for teams to miss the playoffs after winning the Super Bowl and losing a bunch of key pieces so trading something that likely will be an early 20s pick but could possibly be a top 15 pick is not worth it to me in a year that we are struggling as well.  I would feel different if we had the start the Giants had but were missing a piece on the D Line.    

• At Dallas
  • vs Miami
  • vs Green Bay
  • at Chicago
  • at New York Giants
  • vs Bills
  • vs Jacksonville
  • vs Minnesota
  • at New York Jets
  • at Carolina
  • vs Chicago
  • at Green Bay

I don't see more than 5 wins on the table for us and even those are sketchy. I doubt we beat Dallas. Tua is probably back with the Dolphins and they've looked pretty good. Green Bay hasn't looked great and potentially could be beatable for a Lions team that will have their back up against the wall. Chicago is a bit of a mess as well but we probably split that series. Giants, Bills and Jags all look pretty solid. MAYYYBBEE Jacksonville is the lone potential W in that mix. Vikings at home could go either way but I'll call it a L. We HAVE to beat Carolina.. if we lose to the Panthers I don't know if Campbell makes it to year 3. 

This is a team that's looking like it'll have 4-6 wins to its name. Unless we can pull off a couple upsets over teams like Dallas and Miami to get the ball rolling, I don't see us getting into a scenario with momentum like the Giants have. 

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:
  • At Dallas
  • vs Miami
  • vs Green Bay
  • at Chicago
  • at New York Giants
  • vs Bills
  • vs Jacksonville
  • vs Minnesota
  • at New York Jets
  • at Carolina
  • vs Chicago
  • at Green Bay

I don't see more than 5 wins on the table for us and even those are sketchy. I doubt we beat Dallas. Tua is probably back with the Dolphins and they've looked pretty good. Green Bay hasn't looked great and potentially could be beatable for a Lions team that will have their back up against the wall. Chicago is a bit of a mess as well but we probably split that series. Giants, Bills and Jags all look pretty solid. MAYYYBBEE Jacksonville is the lone potential W in that mix. Vikings at home could go either way but I'll call it a L. We HAVE to beat Carolina.. if we lose to the Panthers I don't know if Campbell makes it to year 3. 

This is a team that's looking like it'll have 4-6 wins to its name. Unless we can pull off a couple upsets over teams like Dallas and Miami to get the ball rolling, I don't see us getting into a scenario with momentum like the Giants have. 

I didn't expect us to, I was saying had we beat the Vikings and Seahawks, maybe the Pats and started 4-1 or even 3-2, I'd be more willing to look at sending a first for a young star at a position of need.  Given our start and that last performance against NE, I have little desire in taking chances on guys with our first round pick.  If we get some guys back healthy and gain some momentum things can change but this is looking very much like a SOL season.   And given that, having the picks and getting 5 years from a player is a better option IMO. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I didn't expect us to, I was saying had we beat the Vikings and Seahawks, maybe the Pats and started 4-1 or even 3-2, I'd be more willing to look at sending a first for a young star at a position of need.  Given our start and that last performance against NE, I have little desire in taking chances on guys with our first round pick.  If we get some guys back healthy and gain some momentum things can change but this is looking very much like a SOL season.   

I'm not saying that you were... that comment just made me think "could we turn things around and wind up in the same position as the Giants if we made such a move?".

It's not looking good. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm not saying that you were... that comment just made me think "could we turn things around and wind up in the same position as the Giants if we made such a move?".

It's not looking good. 

True.  I mean four weeks ago nobody thought the Giants would be here either.  So if they figure something out it is possible.  But the likelihood is not high. 

They need to be constantly churning over the roster at this point until they find some guys that stick.

Some of the moves that they have made within the last year or so have worried me because they aren't necessarily bringing in great talent. High character guys that are a culture fit have value, but at a certain point you just need dudes that can play. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lions017 said:

They need to be constantly churning over the roster at this point until they find some guys that stick.

Some of the moves that they have made within the last year or so have worried me because they aren't necessarily bringing in great talent. High character guys that are a culture fit have value, but at a certain point you just need dudes that can play. 

I think it's pretty obvious with the 1 year contracts they're giving out they're trying to get out from under the cap hell Quintricia left them with. They're trying to build the foundation through the draft. I expect them to be bigger players in FA starting in 2024. 

• Like 1