Prospects sitting out bowl games

smokeybandit

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Unless colleges start paying their players to play, I see nothing wrong with a player sitting a bowl game, especially a bluechip guy like McCaffrey, Fournette, etc. They have proven all they need to at the college level, the only place their stock can go is down. Some people say it's "rare" to get injured in a bowl game, but that's the problem, the risk is still there even if it isn't common. It's a meaningless game, and could cost a prospect millions of dollars to play in an exhibition game, and unfortunately has for some prospects over the years. 

Yep, Bowl Ganes are completely for profit. That's why they have corporate sponsors. 

The Game is useful to see how a player does outside of the regular season. But they ain't paid yet so no need to go. All they can really do is hurt their stock more

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Then there are hundreds of others since McGahee who didn't get injured in a bowl game.

And as a player, how do you know of you're going to be a McGahee or one of the other guys? 

Ultimate point I'm trying to make - what is the tangible benefit for a blue chip/top 20 prospect playing a bowl game? Playing that bowl game will do what for their future?

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

The Game is useful to see how a player does outside of the regular season. But they ain't paid yet so no need to go. All they can really do is hurt their stock more

Even then - with most of these guys, you've already seen them in a bowl game of some sort. Heck, McCaffrey set a Rose Bowl record with 368 total YFS before his Junior year, which was the fourth highest yardage total in ANY bowl. What more does he have to prove, at a lesser bowl no less?

I know you kind of see eye to eye with me on this, but wanted to remind people; McCaffrey literally had nothing more to prove to anyone.

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

And as a player, how do you know of you're going to be a McGahee or one of the other guys? 

Ultimate point I'm trying to make - what is the tangible benefit for a blue chip/top 20 prospect playing a bowl game? Playing that bowl game will do what for their future?

Then what's the benefit of playing in any game once you've presented yourself as a top draft pick?  

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Then what's the benefit of playing in any game once you've presented yourself as a top draft pick?  

You have to put in three years after high school. 

You can't sit an entire year. Your skills deteriorate and many of these players are still developing basic positional technique into their third season. 

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Even then - with most of these guys, you've already seen them in a bowl game of some sort. Heck, McCaffrey set a Rose Bowl record with 368 total YFS before his Junior year, which was the fourth highest yardage total in ANY bowl. What more does he have to prove, at a lesser bowl no less?

I know you kind of see eye to eye with me on this, but wanted to remind people; McCaffrey literally had nothing more to prove to anyone.

At the same time, you want to see growth from year to year

i think it's a great way of sniffing out fools gold. When the chips are on the line will you stand strong or wilt under the pressure in your last collegiate game?

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

1. You didn't answer my question.

2. You have to be three years removed from high school before you're allowed to declare. Nobody here is advocating any player sitting out a year, just a game.

3. You still didn't answer my question.

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

This. Right here. If we're going to knock players for sitting out a bowl game, why aren't we knocking them for declaring with one or two years of eligibility left?

Huge difference. When a player declares early, it's after the season has concluded.

Just now, LaserFocus said:

Huge difference. When a player declares early, it's after the season has concluded.

But with one or two seasons still available for him to contribute. So, it's ok for him to leave for better opportunity with full seasons of eligibility left on the table, but it's a bad teammate if he leaves with one game left?

1 hour ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Almost every successful person I know has found a better job and moved on with their life. 

That's all Christian McCaffrey did. 

No, Christian McCaffrey didn't have a job at Stanford. You misunderstood the context of my post.

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

i think it's a great way of sniffing out fools gold. When the chips are on the line will you stand strong or wilt under the pressure in your last collegiate game?

I wouldn't put too much stock into it. By the time bowl season rolls around, teams have already detailed out their scouting reports on the majority of guys. I'd be wary of a mid tier guy having a big bowl game, actually - that's a lot like a guy balling out during a contract season, then reverting back to form after he secures his deal.

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

I wouldn't put too much stock into it. By the time bowl season rolls around, teams have already detailed out their scouting reports on the majority of guys. I'd be wary of a mid tier guy having a big bowl game, actually - that's a lot like a guy balling out during a contract season, then reverting back to form after he secures his deal.

Tom Brady was a mid tier guy who helped himself in the 2000 Orange Bowl. Brady's draft stock was hurt by his poor combine performance.

Archived