Nobody is coaching Diontae Johnson

rlon

If they were, they would stop his tendency to catch the ball and immediately shift his momentum towards the line of scrimmage. This guy thinks he’s playing pee wee football wherein you can just run backwards and subsequently outrun the kids to the edge. This is the single most infuriating player tendency since Chase Claypool’s stupid freakin face looked like it did. 

On 11/13/2022 at 2:14 PM, rlon said:

If they were, they would stop his tendency to catch the ball and immediately shift his momentum towards the line of scrimmage. This guy thinks he’s playing pee wee football wherein you can just run backwards and subsequently outrun the kids to the edge. This is the single most infuriating player tendency since Chase Claypool’s stupid freakin face looked like it did. 

I am very disappointed in Dionte's overall play and at times demeanor. I expected much better things from him.  His problem is consistency. Unfortunately it has been since he was drafted. He is a tremendous talent, but does not CONSISTENTLY put it all together.  This guy can make an acrobatic catch look routine and then struggle to catch a three yard slant that is on the mark. He will catch a TD, but won't get his feet down. He will put on a dazzling move to get past a CB and then drop the pass. He can make you want to kick a hole in your TV. 

I do not think that is on coaching. I think it falls squarely on Dionte's shoulders.  Part is also a lack of confidence in the offensive system. Everyone seems to be trying to hit a homer at every bat or get walked so to speak. I see Najee and Dionte trying to go to the house every play. I see Kenny trying not to make a mistake. The offense used Freiermuth more, but could also stand to get some more throws Pickens way. This is why this offense hasn't been able to churn out more than 20 points on a good day.

On 11/15/2022 at 11:17 AM, Steeler Hitman said:

I am very disappointed in Dionte's overall play and at times demeanor. I expected much better things from him.  His problem is consistency. Unfortunately it has been since he was drafted. He is a tremendous talent, but does not CONSISTENTLY put it all together.  This guy can make an acrobatic catch look routine and then struggle to catch a three yard slant that is on the mark. He will catch a TD, but won't get his feet down. He will put on a dazzling move to get past a CB and then drop the pass. He can make you want to kick a hole in your TV. 

I do not think that is on coaching. I think it falls squarely on Dionte's shoulders.  Part is also a lack of confidence in the offensive system. Everyone seems to be trying to hit a homer at every bat or get walked so to speak. I see Najee and Dionte trying to go to the house every play. I see Kenny trying not to make a mistake. The offense used Freiermuth more, but could also stand to get some more throws Pickens way. This is why this offense hasn't been able to churn out more than 20 points on a good day.

When I consistently see players run backwards when they could just go straight ahead for an easy first down, they may not be coached to do that, but they probably aren't being coached NOT to do that.

Tomlin used to talk about not wanting to coach players out of habits that make them special. Ben extending plays, or Troy doing all the things he did. Then Bell's "patience." Problem is with guys like Najee or Johnson is that they aren't really doing much with the ball in their hands. I can't think of too many if any examples of Johnson heading backwards and making up more ground than he lost, but I can think of a number of times where he failed to get an easy first down that was right there for the taking. These aren't special playmakers where you take the good with the bad. They are guys who you tell to get the yards where they can.

I do not think that is happening. 

I think the WR coaching has sucked for several years now.

On 11/16/2022 at 12:17 PM, SMashMouthMike said:

“Business” decisions …

He gets open then he does seem to look for a soft place to lie down a lot of times. 

and najee picks up these traits along the way

trade Johnson, question is what can we get for him. Always WR's in UFA that are proven, why waste time with this anymore. Part of the downfall fro this organization is keeping players around too long and getting nothing for them when they do leave

Austin and Harman could change the way defences play us.  AJ Green  would also be a player to ad if he is available  - a proven pro that the youth can have as a mentor.  Much better than Johnson and for  less $ possibly

Edited by 3rivers