Davis Mills--Would You Add Him If He Became Available?

Just Want A Title

It looks like the Texans aren't really interested in Davis Mills at this point.  He did a pretty solid job last year but is having a rough 2022 season.  It seems like he is bearing the brunt of the responsibility for the lack of talent around him.  I think it would be a decent move to bring him on as a back-up QB while we evaluate his potential upside as long as the compensation wasn't too steep.  Thoughts?

I do not have interest in Mills at this point.  I'd rather just draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd then spend something similar to get him.  In the offseason I would be open to someone like Jimmy Garoppolo for half the price of Goff but I have zero interest in someone like Mayfield, Wentz, Darnold etc over Goff as Goff at least seems like a decent leader and has been much more consistent than them.      

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 8:27 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

I do not have interest in Mills at this point.  I'd rather just draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd then spend something similar to get him.  In the offseason I would be open to someone like Jimmy Garoppolo for half the price of Goff but I have zero interest in someone like Mayfield, Wentz, Darnold etc over Goff as Goff at least seems like a decent leader and has been much more consistent than them.      

Spotrac has Jimmy G's market value at $26M; Tayler Heinicke at $16M. 

With a dead cap hit of $10M if he's cut, I think I'd rather keep Goff, restructure his deal to pay him now/save some cap space and address QB in 2024. 

17 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Spotrac has Jimmy G's market value at $26M; Tayler Heinicke at $16M. 

With a dead cap hit of $10M if he's cut, I think I'd rather keep Goff, restructure his deal to pay him now/save some cap space and address QB in 2024. 

I'd prefer to keep Goff even if its at his current rate and draft a QB and then cut Goff after this year.  Or trade him if he has a solid year and recoup some draft value.  Goffs yearly cap hit isn't bad with new contracts being signed so someone who has an injury or losses a QB (IE the Ravens perhaps) wouldn't mind Goff at his $26M per season it would cost them.  

So pretty much next year Goff and Jimmy G would be the same cost as Goff would save about 26M if cut.  And Heinicke would be 10M cheaper which I would consider since Goff just doesn't seem consistent enough but also he knows the system and has a rapport with the wide outs so wouldn't care either way.   

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd prefer to keep Goff even if its at his current rate and draft a QB and then cut Goff after this year.  Or trade him if he has a solid year and recoup some draft value.  Goffs yearly cap hit isn't bad with new contracts being signed so someone who has an injury or losses a QB (IE the Ravens perhaps) wouldn't mind Goff at his $26M per season it would cost them.  

So pretty much next year Goff and Jimmy G would be the same cost as Goff would save about 26M if cut.  And Heinicke would be 10M cheaper which I would consider since Goff just doesn't seem consistent enough but also he knows the system and has a rapport with the wide outs so wouldn't care either way.   

a) Goff - $30.65M

b) Jimmy G - $26M (Spotrac) + $10M Dead Cap (Goff) = $36M cap space allocated to QB

c) Heinicke - $16M + $10M Dead Cap (Goff) = $26M cap space allocated to QB

d) Rookie QB - $4M + $10M Dead Cap (Goff) = $14M cap space allocated to QB

If the right guy falls to us and the Lions determine this is the time to move on from Goff, Option D is the best scenario money wise. Unfortunately, B and C don't seem plausible as we're either spending nearly the same or more money for similar QB play. 

42 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

a) Goff - $30.65M

b) Jimmy G - $26M (Spotrac) + $10M Dead Cap (Goff) = $36M cap space allocated to QB

c) Heinicke - $16M + $10M Dead Cap (Goff) = $26M cap space allocated to QB

d) Rookie QB - $4M + $10M Dead Cap (Goff) = $14M cap space allocated to QB

If the right guy falls to us and the Lions determine this is the time to move on from Goff, Option D is the best scenario money wise. Unfortunately, B and C don't seem plausible as we're either spending nearly the same or more money for similar QB play. 

I agree Goff is likely the best option.  Cutting Goff now saves an extra $5M next year which is a perk of going the Heinicke route but that feels like a lateral move at best.  I would still hope to draft someone like McCall, McKee, Hooker, Jefferson, Penix etc and at least take a shot on some upside if we don't get one of the top two early.