Texans benching QB Davis Mills; to start Kyle Allen versus Dolphins

TheKillerNacho

29 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Idk, seems odd to me that you'd write off a guy's ability as a backup and cite someone who was objectively worse with better support around him as if the first guy has no room to grow into a role is all. 

I mean, 15 years from now? Who knows. Now? He offers pretty much nothing as a backup. 

If you're gonna knock a guy's upside and then use a guy who had even less at the same point as your argument, that's just silly to me. 

…I’m not, lol.

You’re conflating two points. Old man Fitzpatrick is (was) a veteran QB that has shown he can step in and win some games when called upon. That has nothing to do with his upside as younger guy, I’m strictly talking about one type of backup QB (veteran, smart, can step in and offer something). 

Mills is a far better QB at the point of his career than Fitzpatrick was. That makes a comparison relevant. 

But...logic, right? Whoosh. 

Okay? Mills was better as a rookie than Peyton Manning too, if I said I wanted Peyton Manning would you complain about Mills playing better then too? 

Let me try to simplify it for you since you’re confused: I would want a backup that is either a veteran QB that can be a brain in the QB room and step in and win some games if necessary (such as old man Fitzpatrick), or a younger guy with either a diverse skill set (like Huntley, that can win with his legs) or a rookie that at least has a chance of not sucking. Mills is not a brainy veteran that can win games (as of now). Mills does not bring a unique skill set to the QB position. Mills is not a young player that may or may not suck (right now he sucks). Is it a guarantee that that never changes? No. See? Simple.

On 11/24/2022 at 10:05 AM, ET80 said:

As long as the Texans don’t screw up getting 1.1, I’m ok. Two meaningless wins could be the difference between 1.1 and 1.8, and to go through this nonsense to end up with a pick that isn’t top 3 is incredibly stupid.

True. The bears are in a decent spot but I can fully see them winning 1-2 more and being pleased about it. If the Vikings rest their starters in a few weeks we’re in for it.