Texans benching QB Davis Mills; to start Kyle Allen versus Dolphins

TheKillerNacho

25 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Multiple sources confirmed Kyle Allen was taking the majority of starting reps at practice I thought... did he look like complete garbage, I wonder?

Or are they trying hard to conceal it? Not like it actually matters to the Dolphins probably lol

I think they’re trying to be slick and hide it, but the story leaked and it’s Allen - or it’s Mills on a very short leash.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 10:05 AM, ET80 said:

As long as the Texans don’t screw up getting 1.1, I’m ok. Two meaningless wins could be the difference between 1.1 and 1.8, and to go through this nonsense to end up with a pick that isn’t top 3 is incredibly stupid.

We already know you guys will be winning in Deshaun's debut for the Browns. You can't afford any more wins besides that.

Edited by DawgX
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 10:05 AM, ET80 said:

As long as the Texans don’t screw up getting 1.1, I’m ok. Two meaningless wins could be the difference between 1.1 and 1.8, and to go through this nonsense to end up with a pick that isn’t top 3 is incredibly stupid.

At this point, Lovie has got to go, right?

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Do we know that? What I know is that Nick Chubb is going to rush for 6,721 yards…

Stefanski is going to have a QB that hasn't played football in almost 2 years
Stefanski is going to have Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt against the worst rushing defense in the league.

So obviously Stefanski is going to have DeShaun throw it 50 times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cp0k2 said:

Stefanski is going to have a QB that hasn't played football in almost 2 years
Stefanski is going to have Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt against the worst rushing defense in the league.

So obviously Stefanski is going to have DeShaun throw it 50 times.

Letting Watson throw 50 times may in fact be the best thing for the Browns long term. They need to see him work through his rust and get back to form as soon as possible, even if it means losing what are ultimate meaningless games to end this lost season.

Best thing for Stefanski is to try and win these meaningless games because he has to be lowkey on the hot seat right now, I'd think. I don't know if one playoff win in one appearance is going to get it done. His team has gotten worse for two consecutive seasons now.

On 11/23/2022 at 1:43 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Fun while it lasted. 

Someone, probably Houston, is gonna have a good backup in Mills though. Houston doesn't have the parts for any QB who isn't next level great to succeed to begin with. Mills wasn't going to be a long term starter. But I do like my backups to have a good bit of game experience. 

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Mills winds up the new Matt Moore, which isn't a terrible fate. 

I’d want a backup that can actually come in and win a few games. A smart, veteran QB (Fitzpatrick a prime example) or a younger guy with either upside or a great skill set. Mills is both inexperienced and doesn’t give me much upside lol.

9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’d want a backup that can actually come in and win a few games. A smart, veteran QB (Fitzpatrick a prime example) or a younger guy with either upside or a great skill set. Mills is both inexperienced and doesn’t give me much upside lol.

Ok and? 

Davis Mills is in his second season and on a horrifically undermanned squad. 

You cite, of all possible people, Ryan Fitzpatrick? The guy who rode Steven Jackson, Issac Bruce, Torrey Holt, and Kevin Curtis to a 56% completion rating, 4 TDs, 8 INTs, and an 0-4 record as a rookie and wasn't viewed as anything viable until his 6th season in the league? 

If you watched football between 2005 and 2009, saw Ryan Fitzpatrick, and thought: "Now that's upside and potential and a guy who can win me games!", simply put, you're incredibly lucky he wound up turning into anything. He was downright bad early on in his career.

Upside, great skill set, veteran, can win games- none of those belong in the first 5 years of Fitzpatrick's NFL career. You're better off not naming anyone and saying you want an old man backup over a young guy, because naming Ryan Fitzpatrick in this context makes me wonder if you're actually like 14 years old.

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Ok and? 

Davis Mills is in his second season and on a horrifically undermanned squad. 

You cite, of all possible people, Ryan Fitzpatrick? The guy who rode Steven Jackson, Issac Bruce, Torrey Holt, and Kevin Curtis to a 56% completion rating, 4 TDs, 8 INTs, and an 0-4 record as a rookie and wasn't viewed as anything viable until his 6th season in the league? 

If you watched football between 2005 and 2009, saw Ryan Fitzpatrick, and thought: "Now that's upside and potential and a guy who can win me games!", simply put, you're incredibly lucky he wound up turning into anything. He was downright bad early on in his career.

Upside, great skill set, veteran, can win games- none of those belong in the first 5 years of Fitzpatrick's NFL career. You're better off not naming anyone and saying you want an old man backup over a young guy, because naming Ryan Fitzpatrick in this context makes me wonder if you're actually like 14 years old.

….was it implied somewhere that I was comparing early career Davis Mills to early career Ryan Fitzpatrick? I thought it was incredibly obvious that I meant Fitzpatrick in his later years, you know, considering in the very same sentence was the word “veteran”. 

Whoosh.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

….was it implied somewhere that I was comparing early career Davis Mills to early career Ryan Fitzpatrick? I thought it was incredibly obvious that I meant Fitzpatrick in his later years, you know, considering in the very same sentence was the word “veteran”. 

Whoosh.

Idk, seems odd to me that you'd write off a guy's ability as a backup and cite someone who was objectively worse with better support around him as if the first guy has no room to grow into a role is all. 

If you're gonna knock a guy's upside and then use a guy who had even less at the same point as your argument, that's just silly to me. 

Mills is a far better QB at the point of his career than Fitzpatrick was. That makes a comparison relevant. 

But...logic, right? Whoosh.