QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

And he very well might do that. But the long term harm done by that is HUGE.

You think if Love pans out he wants to stay for a long time after seeing how AR is being treated? You think any current player wants this lingering for 5-6 weeks? No way. The PR and long term harm it does. Isn't worth it. I'd get digging my heals in if AR was 35. But that's not the case. 

The Packers don't owe Aaron Rodgers anything.  He's been paid more than handsomely for his services.

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Do you really believe Woody Johnson is going to be happy if Douglas goes to him and says that the Packers are being unreasonable and they're going to roll with Zach Wilson instead?  Especially with how public the Jets have been about moving on from.  If Zach Wilson wasn't already an outcast in the locker room, he would be even worse if the Jets failed to land Aaron Rodgers.

And I think a ~FRP is actually very reasonable value for a player of Rodgers' caliber.  We've seen worse QBs go for what Jets' fans are willing to offer.  There's no QB available that makes the Jets a title contender outside of Rodgers.  And there probably won't be one for the foreseeable future.

Yes his caliber of play is worth a 1st but all they intangibles significantly lower that value. 

39 years old

The money he’s still owed

No commitment to play beyond this next season

Him saying he’s not playing for GB again

Those all weigh A LOT more than the caliber of player he is.

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers don't owe Aaron Rodgers anything.  He's been paid more than handsomely for his services.

That’s an awful mindset to have IMO. A guy that’s won you a SB and made you a contender for 15 years… isn’t owed anything?

That sums up the GB fan base in a nutshell

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Yes his caliber of play is worth a 1st but all they intangibles significantly lower that value. 

39 years old

The money he’s still owed

No commitment to play beyond this next season

Him saying he’s not playing for GB again

Those all weigh A LOT more than the caliber of player he is.

He's got a cap hit of $15.2M.  Stop talking about the money he's owed when you're getting a starting QB at  bargain price.  You're trading for Rodgers for the next 1-2 years.  The dead cap beyond that isn't a major factor.  And there's almost certainly going to be conditional picks included to protect the Jets.  I could easily see a situation where the Packers are sending the Jets pick(s) if Rodgers retires after a year.  And no, they don't weigh more than the player itself.  You're trading for Rodgers. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s an awful mindset to have IMO. A guy that’s won you a SB and made you a contender for 15 years… isn’t owed anything?

That sums up the GB fan base in a nutshell

I mean by that same backwards logic, the Packers should hand over their FRP, Rashan Gary and every other decent player they have to the Jets so that he can win a championship with him.  The Packers don't owe Rodgers anything.  They paid him more than enough money over his career, and he won a LOT of games including 1 championship.  But the Packers need to take care of themselves first and foremost.  If that means dragging a Rodgers trade into the late days of summer, so be it.  The Packers need to do what's best for them, not Rodgers.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's got a cap hit of $15.2M.  Stop talking about the money he's owed when you're getting a starting QB at  bargain price.  You're trading for Rodgers for the next 1-2 years.  The dead cap beyond that isn't a major factor.  And there's almost certainly going to be conditional picks included to protect the Jets.  I could easily see a situation where the Packers are sending the Jets pick(s) if Rodgers retires after a year.  And no, they don't weigh more than the player itself.  You're trading for Rodgers. 

He’s a cap hit of 15.2mill if we spread out his money over 4 years. He’s not a straight up 15.2mill cap hit. And we restructure that to that number we’re than paying him a ton of money when he’s likely retired. Dead cap is a major factor

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean by that same backwards logic, the Packers should hand over their FRP, Rashan Gary and every other decent player they have to the Jets so that he can win a championship with him.  The Packers don't owe Rodgers anything.  They paid him more than enough money over his career, and he won a LOT of games including 1 championship.  But the Packers need to take care of themselves first and foremost.  If that means dragging a Rodgers trade into the late days of summer, so be it.  The Packers need to do what's best for them, not Rodgers.

So you think the only way a franchise owed a player that’s been great for them and has been part of the team for close to 2 decades is money?

Come on

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Just mentioning his cap hit and not actual cash owed is being disingenuous. Rodgers is owed $110 million over the next two years. Having to pay that kind of money for a 1-2 year rental absolutely lowers his trade value. 

Edited by BlaZeN37

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s a cap hit of 15.2mill if we spread out his money over 4 years. He’s not a straight up 15.2mill cap hit. And we restructure that to that number we’re than paying him a ton of money when he’s likely retired. Dead cap is a major factor

https://overthecap.com/the-salary-cap-impact-of-trading-for-aaron-rodgers

That's a pretty good article about what would likely happen in the scenario that Rodgers retires after a year.  They're stuck with a little over $29M in dead cap that would likely be dispersed over 2 seasons.  That's chump change when it comes to dead cap from QBs.  This past year, the Falcons carried $40M in dead cap from a Matt Ryan trade while the Eagles carried $33.8M in dead cap the previous year after trading Carson Wentz to the Colts.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So you think the only way a franchise owed a player that’s been great for them and has been part of the team for close to 2 decades is money?

Come on

Yep.  The franchise >>> player, and I'm not sure there's anything that would prove otherwise.

2 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Just mentioning his cap hit and not actual cash owed is being disingenuous. Rodgers is owed $110 million over the next two years. Having to pay that kind of money for a 1-2 year rental absolutely lowers his trade value. 

It's amusing that we're assuming that Rodgers plays 2 years when we're talking about dead cap, but when it talks about him playing we only assume the Jets are getting 1 season out of Rodgers.  You can't assume both at this point.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

https://overthecap.com/the-salary-cap-impact-of-trading-for-aaron-rodgers

That's a pretty good article about what would likely happen in the scenario that Rodgers retires after a year.  They're stuck with a little over $29M in dead cap that would likely be dispersed over 2 seasons.  That's chump change when it comes to dead cap from QBs.  This past year, the Falcons carried $40M in dead cap from a Matt Ryan trade while the Eagles carried $33.8M in dead cap the previous year after trading Carson Wentz to the Colts.

Quite frankly hearing GB fans that have had a QB for 30 years tell other fans what should be acceptable for dead cap for QBs, that great team players don’t deserve anything bc they’ve already been paid, etc. Just doesn’t sit well with Jets fans.

So we’ll never agree on this.

You think a guy out the door is worth a ton. Yes even your offer is a ton for a 1yr rental that’s 39. You think GB owes him nothing. You think NYJ have no leverage.

So no sense in going around about this.

We can discuss further if it ever becomes official.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

You think a guy out the door is worth a ton. Yes even your offer is a ton for a 1yr rental that’s 39. You think GB owes him nothing. You think NYJ have no leverage.

No.  I think we've seen what mediocre QBs go for, and Rodgers isn't mediocre.  But LIS, I think there's going to be conditional picks as a large part of the trade.  Jets' fans want to trade what they consider "spare" parts.  They want to take all the risk involved in the trade and throw it out the window.

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  I think we've seen what mediocre QBs go for, and Rodgers isn't mediocre.  But LIS, I think there's going to be conditional picks as a large part of the trade.  Jets' fans want to trade what they consider "spare" parts.  They want to take all the risk involved in the trade and throw it out the window.

Not going to see eye to eye on this. So agree to disagree.

• Like 1