QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

Is 42/43 really going to make or break the Jets off-season? I'd swap 1sts, give up both 42 and 43 and get back a Packers 3rd this year and a 3rd next year that becomes a 2nd if Rogers retires. Unless there are players there that the Jets really love for day 2. In that case, I'd give up 13 this year and collect the Packers 2nd with a 3rd next year that becomes a 2nd if Rogers retires. You can easily package a pair from 42/43/45 to get back into the 1st round.

Edited by WheatieMan

2 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Is 42/43 really going to make or break the Jets off-season? I'd swap 1sts, give up both 42 and 43 and get back a Packers 3rd this year and a 3rd next year that becomes a 2nd if Rogers retires. Unless there are players there that the Jets really love for day 2. In that case, I'd give up 13 this year and collect the Packers 2nd with a 3rd next year that becomes a 2nd if Rogers retires. You can easily package a pair from 42/43/45 to get back into the 1st round.

So you’re thinking about it from a let’s just get Rodgers standpoint.

How about that if we pick swap that either or both GB AND NE (they draft at 14) can grab our guy. No reason to do that when that pick swap is a 3rd round value. So it isn’t making it breaking the trade. Only way a pick swap happens is if JSN is on the board, we are going OT and we like 2 OTs still (bc NE needs an OT as well). Can’t see both those things happening.

Now to give them 42 and 43… that equals the value of the 17th overall pick. Even deeper that’s 2 players as well. There’s no way we trade both picks there. Never mind AR isn’t at his age and his contract worth the 17th overall pick and a late 3rd rounder. That would be us really overpaying for this trade.

The biggest layer of all of what you said that makes 0 sense. Is that when you trade for AR you’re a win now team. What we did in FA made us maybe slightly better. But we didn’t become this incredibly scary team with our FA signings. So we can improve the roster to be a win now team with those 3 valuable picks. Should be getting starters or at least rotational players at those spots.

Now I do think we trade them 42 OR 43 as part of the deal. So I expect us to use 13 and one of those 2nds. And I expect it to be OL heavy with OT at 13 and C at 43 or 43. That’s 2 starters for us. Which is huge. And even post Rodgers gives us a very good young OL when they’re healthy. Which can only help Hall and whoever is our QB post AR

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So you’re thinking about it from a let’s just get Rodgers standpoint.

How about that if we pick swap that either or both GB AND NE (they draft at 14) can grab our guy. No reason to do that when that pick swap is a 3rd round value. So it isn’t making it breaking the trade. Only way a pick swap happens is if JSN is on the board, we are going OT and we like 2 OTs still (bc NE needs an OT as well). Can’t see both those things happening.

Now to give them 42 and 43… that equals the value of the 17th overall pick. Even deeper that’s 2 players as well. There’s no way we trade both picks there. Never mind AR isn’t at his age and his contract worth the 17th overall pick and a late 3rd rounder. That would be us really overpaying for this trade.

The biggest layer of all of what you said that makes 0 sense. Is that when you trade for AR you’re a win now team. What we did in FA made us maybe slightly better. But we didn’t become this incredibly scary team with our FA signings. So we can improve the roster to be a win now team with those 3 valuable picks. Should be getting starters or at least rotational players at those spots.

Now I do think we trade them 42 OR 43 as part of the deal. So I expect us to use 13 and one of those 2nds. And I expect it to be OL heavy with OT at 13 and C at 43 or 43. That’s 2 starters for us. Which is huge. And even post Rodgers gives us a very good young OL when they’re healthy. Which can only help Hall and whoever is our QB post AR

If the tackles fall, then yeah, I can see them waiting down to the wire and doing the swap if the Packers want another receiver. Jets won't take WR. Looks like the Eagles want tackle, and then the Pats, so it's unlikely the pick swap will work for the Jets unless they want to take a huge risk. So no deal day 1. 

Day 2, Packers are already at 45. Does 42 really help them unless they like multiple guys day 2? Only if they wanted to get back into the first round, in which case, a third team has to get involved at the eleventh hour. If there are two guys they like, they still have to contend with whoever is picking at 44 (I'm assuming NE, didn't check). NE can really throw a monkey wrench into this whole thing inadvertently. I'm not saying Bill is playing 4D chess, but he may end up screwing over the Jets by default, if certain players at certain positions fall. NE and GB are very similar in terms of the timeline of rebuilding/retooling a team.

If they wait till day 2, give up a pick, and give up a second next year that can become a first, it just may not be enough, otherwise the deal would have happened a long time ago. You want to ensure GB gets the players they want.

PS: 44th pick is Atlanta's.... again, a team with a young QB that needs help this year and is in a similar position to GB. Would have been a lot more interesting if NE was picking there as well.

Edited by WheatieMan

Another option is to move back to 15 if the Jets like two guys at 13&14 that the Packers wouldn't take. Then move back to 45 and give up 42 and 43 if the Packers like 2 guys there. The Jets would still have to give up a conditional next year, but it could be a third only in 24', that graduates to a 2nd or 1st if extreme metrics are hit.

12 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Another option is to move back to 15 if the Jets like two guys at 13&14 that the Packers wouldn't take. Then move back to 45 and give up 42 and 43 if the Packers like 2 guys there. The Jets would still have to give up a conditional next year, but it could be a third only in 24', that graduates to a 2nd or 1st if extreme metrics are hit.

Trade down twice and give up a 2nd and conditional 2nd? No thanks when we can do a 2nd and conditional 2nd. 

Swap picks in the 1st and 2nd plus conditional 1st next year? That we can talk about. 

Edited by jetsfan4life51

51 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Trade down twice and give up a 2nd and conditional 2nd? No thanks when we can do a 2nd and conditional 2nd. 

At some point, you got remove the obstacles to get the deal done. Let's say the conditional is AFCCG (2nd round pick) and SB (1st round pick) if Rogers is starting both games. You still wouldn't take that? That's about a 2nd and high third in value and a 1st round pick next year with SB appearance. That seems more than reasonable. I am not a fan of either team, but GB has to get something back. I think the compensation on the 24' pick (assuming they swap Rd 1/2 picks with GB) should be guaranteed third in 24', 2nd if Rogers takes X amount of snaps/starts, and 1st with AFCCG appearance with Rogers under center. More than likely the trade ends up becoming two 2nds (23 & 24') and a 3rd (in point value) for Rogers with worst case scenario for the Jets being getting blown out in an AFCCG against Cinci or KC or some AFC underdog (and they lose the 29-30 overall pick in 24'). Woody can sell that to the fans though if JD doesn't nickel and dime this. Otherwise, scrap the conditional and give up the 2nd round pick next year.

Edited by WheatieMan

So not sure how true it is and I don’t know all the rules to this in depth…..

But I’m hearing there’s the situation where we can’t make the trade when we’re on the clock. It’d have to be 1 of these 3 things that would have to happen.

1. GB restructures Rodgers contract to the way we want it in the next couple days. Why? Bc his current deal has to be reworked for us to stay under the cap. And you have to be under the cap bc the league year has started already. I don’t expect GB to restructure him for us with no trade gone through yet. So for me this is the least likely to happen.

2. Rodgers is traded to us in the next 2-3 days (before Friday bc that’s when GB would have our pick). Allowing us to rework his deal or make the cuts we need to go get under the cap.

3. Include a player in the trade or cut a guy or guys in these next couple days like Davis or Whitehead.

I think Option 2 is what happens now that I know this information (if it’s true). I was under the assumption that the cap didn’t matter and we could just restructure him post trade and it was no big deal. But apparently this under the cap for 24hrs thing is real. Which would make it more likely for a trade to go down pre draft.

34 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So not sure how true it is and I don’t know all the rules to this in depth…..

But I’m hearing there’s the situation where we can’t make the trade when we’re on the clock. It’d have to be 1 of these 3 things that would have to happen.

1. GB restructures Rodgers contract to the way we want it in the next couple days. Why? Bc his current deal has to be reworked for us to stay under the cap. And you have to be under the cap bc the league year has started already. I don’t expect GB to restructure him for us with no trade gone through yet. So for me this is the least likely to happen.

2. Rodgers is traded to us in the next 2-3 days (before Friday bc that’s when GB would have our pick). Allowing us to rework his deal or make the cuts we need to go get under the cap.

3. Include a player in the trade or cut a guy or guys in these next couple days like Davis or Whitehead.

I think Option 2 is what happens now that I know this information (if it’s true). I was under the assumption that the cap didn’t matter and we could just restructure him post trade and it was no big deal. But apparently this under the cap for 24hrs thing is real. Which would make it more likely for a trade to go down pre draft.

If Packers somehow restructure Rodgers' option then he will be traded in June.

On 11/24/2022 at 1:01 PM, JetsandI said:

Aaron Rodgers (Packers)

- I don't see how will Packers trade him away. It isn't Rodgers' fault that Packers are struggling embarrassingly. His new go to guy Christian Watson has emerged but the offense is still simple enough for defense to minimize Rodgers' production.  I can see Packers will clean up QB image by trading Jordan Love away and picking a solid veteran WR for 2023. 

Chance to acquire him is ZERO.

Okay,, now you may call me an idiot.