QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

30 minutes ago, xrade said:

I don’t read reports. They are as accurate as we are debating this topic. Why bother.

But the absurdity of the situation is what I am questioning. Bobby may be right that it was a very loosely devised framework between the Jets and GB. Maybe something along the lines of “hey GB we’ll trade a draft pick if you allow us to talk to Aaron”.  Gute’s response “OK”. Is that really how it happened?  I find that a bit difficult to believe.

There had to be more. The fact that here we are 6 weeks later smacks of one party significantly changing the deal.

The third option is that the deal has been in place but it depends on how the draft board falls before they announce it. Something along the lines of a player at 13 GB wants then they swap FRP’s and more. If there is no one GB wants at 13, then it is another deal.

Even if we agreed to a concrete deal. GB sat on that deal for 8 days before McAfee. They’re pointing the finger when they had 8 days to close it before things could change. And they did. And jets changed the offer accordingly. Funny how GB thinks the offer should be upped if fake teams like SF and NE are in. But the deal shouldn’t have been altered post AR saying he was 90% retired a week before us visiting him.

This whole trade is comical at this stage. 

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Let me ask you this.  Objectively speaking, what's more valuable: a '23 SRP (42 or 43) plus a '24 SRP or a '24 FRP?

‘24 FRP because unfortunately we need all our picks this year for the best chance at a Super Bowl. 

I don’t think we have a second year with him and I don’t think we will be in position to draft a QB in ‘24. 

3 hours ago, xrade said:

I don’t read reports. They are as accurate as we are debating this topic. Why bother.

But the absurdity of the situation is what I am questioning. Bobby may be right that it was a very loosely devised framework between the Jets and GB. Maybe something along the lines of “hey GB we’ll trade a draft pick if you allow us to talk to Aaron”.  Gute’s response “OK”. Is that really how it happened?  I find that a bit difficult to believe.

There had to be more. The fact that here we are 6 weeks later smacks of one party significantly changing the deal.

The third option is that the deal has been in place but it depends on how the draft board falls before they announce it. Something along the lines of a player at 13 GB wants then they swap FRP’s and more. If there is no one GB wants at 13, then it is another deal.

#3.

What's more likely

1. Two professional organizations who want to make the trade are taking turns reneging on their offers, are now at a stalemate over 2024 draft picks, but are proceeding like it's a done deal.

2. It is a done deal, and one team is allowing the other to wait out the draft to decide on either they want the pick this draft or the next.

The first scenario would be amateur hour. Picks aren't so valuable as to hold up something both teams want and both team would end up looking like fools if this didn't happen.

The second is a first, but seems like what JD would offer in lieu of a straight FRP offer. It's creative, but it's a win win. I don't see why this isn't the case.

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Great point was brought up on McAfee today. Why if there was a trade agreed to before we went out to visit AR and he made his decision after that... was he not traded for that package before the McAfee show? Bc according to this GB reporter (let's not forget that this is a GB reporter saying this). A trade was agreed to and then they just sat on that for quite some time and NYJ changed there stance after AR saying he was 90% retired on McAfee. That doesn't add up. So there was a trade agreed for AR to visit, he says he wants to be a Jet and yet they do nothing with that and let him make it public a bit later and then the trade changes bc the Jets moved the line.

Charles Robinson (or whatever his name) isn't a Packers' reporter.  I believe the only Packers' reporter who has chimed in is Rob Demosvky.

And as it was discussed weeks ago, it didn't make sense for Green Bay to allow the Jets' FO to talk to Aaron Rodgers without some framework in place for a trade.  So from a common sense standpoint, it makes sense that there was a deal (or at least a framework of a deal) in place for Rodgers to be traded to Green Bay.

6 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

‘24 FRP because unfortunately we need all our picks this year for the best chance at a Super Bowl. 

I don’t think we have a second year with him and I don’t think we will be in position to draft a QB in ‘24. 

I'm talking about in hypotheticals here.  Unless you have reason to believe that FRP a year from now is going to be a high pick, a pick this year a round below is probably going to be more valuable than a pick a year from now.

12 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Both teams have an incentive to value this years picks. Us for a run at a SB and GB to give Love possibly another weapon to see if he's even good. But we currently hold the picks... so we hold the cards. Difference in all this is we don't HAVE TO get rid of picks this year, we can wait. GB HAS TO trade AR. So while they think they have control... they at the end of the day, have to trade him. They just have this false narrative that another team magically will pop in and outbid us or even that AR who clearly wants to be a Jet, would even accept a trade to another team besides us. Which is never brought up. He told Lazard are very close friend of his to join us bc he's coming, he's working out with him (not with GB players). He'll retire before playing for a team not names the NYJ. GB fans think otherwise... but I think there's no way GBs FO is buying this. I think at this stage they're delaying this so it looks good on the FO part. That they didn't trade a team legend for nothing and rather quickly. They held out to try and get the best offer for him. But deep down they know they're losing this trade value wise.

I do think AR has told the Jets R-E-L-A-X... there's no reason to hurry this. He wasn't going to come to voluntary camp in 3 days likely anyway. Use those 3 valuable picks, he likely just asked if they could try and use at least 2 of them on offense to help him out. We all know we're likely going OT. And we have other needs to use 42 and/or 43 on offense like C, WR, TE.

I think post draft the league does get involved for scheduling purposes. I think that date is May 11th. So 10 days post draft. OTAs then start May 22nd for us. And while GB fans like to think our offer will go up bc future picks are valued less... make no question our offer goes down post draft.

2 things that are always true in negotiations that BIG TIME help us.

1. An asset you have that you knowingly don't want and you have to get rid of, has significant less value.

2. The buyer sets the market... not the seller.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Charles Robinson (or whatever his name) isn't a Packers' reporter.  I believe the only Packers' reporter who has chimed in is Rob Demosvky.

And as it was discussed weeks ago, it didn't make sense for Green Bay to allow the Jets' FO to talk to Aaron Rodgers without some framework in place for a trade.  So from a common sense standpoint, it makes sense that there was a deal (or at least a framework of a deal) in place for Rodgers to be traded to Green Bay.

Well, Rodgers has been pondering about retirement so is it possible for Packers to let Jets to talk with him to see if he would like to continue playing football with them.   Since it is only Jets that talked with Rodgers.  thoughts?

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think post draft the league does get involved for scheduling purposes. I think that date is May 11th. So 10 days post draft. OTAs then start May 22nd for us. And while GB fans like to think our offer will go up bc future picks are valued less... make no question our offer goes down post draft.

I agree it won't happen pre-draft, but I won't be surprised if it goes down mid-draft. If GB like's a player that falls to #13 and wants to swap picks to trade up, that trade could have AR in it. Same for a second-round trade. I think JD is just keeping things flexible for GB.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

But we currently hold the picks... so we hold the cards.

And Green Bay has the QB that the Jets so clearly want.  So the Packers hold the cards.  See how the narrative changes depending on which side you want to argue?  That's why this whole leverage talks were amusing when both sides were arguing they had the leverage.  Both sides have leverage in this situation.

So while they think they have control... they at the end of the day, have to trade him.

Yes.  The Packers do have to trade him.  They're not letting his option bonus vest.  But they also don't have to do the Jets any favors and deal him for him to get ample time to work with his teammates.  If I'm Green Bay and thought we had a framework of a deal in place and the Jets got cold feet, I'd be more than willing to tank the Jets '23 season.

He'll retire before playing for a team not names the NYJ.

Keep telling yourself that.  This is the same person who chose the word "immunized" instead of "vaccinated" to intentionally mislead the media.  He could have EASILY said he'd only play for the Jets, but he said he "intended" to play for the Jets.  And that was after his very clear plea to get the Raiders involved.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Well, Rodgers has been pondering about retirement so is it possible for Packers to let Jets to talk with him to see if he would like to continue playing football with them.   Since it is only Jets that talked with Rodgers.  thoughts?

I think that retirement part is being overstated.  I don't think there's many in the Packers' organization that truly believes Rodgers when he said he was 90% retired going into the darkness retreat.  If you are the Green Bay Packers and want to turn to Jordan Love as your starting QB, why would you want to run the risk of convincing him to play next year and be stuck with the albatross of a contract?  It's like poking a hornet's nest to see a single bee.  Yeah, you might get to see that bee you were looking for, but you also might get the entire nest trying to sting you.

• Like 1

Hahaha GB fans just throwing a tantrum bc our FO didn't overpay for their old QB.

Narrative changes for everything with him. They're done with him and he wasn't good last year, yet they thinks he's worth a 2nd and a 1st? Makes no sense.

They say how AR beats to his own drum and we'll soon realize this, Yet are upset we didn't pull the trigger on a an overpay for him after he said he was 90% retired a week previous.

They hold all the cards in this, Yet they need to get rid of him for sure.

They're ok keeping him all the way until the season starts (as if the fans run the franchise HAHAHA). Like AR cant report to camps and force GBs hand.

This GB fan base is laughable. Luckily if you in general watch all other sports networks that don't have a horse in the race. They see the logic on our side. I've only heard less than a handful of sports reporters think the Jets should do that overpay. The other 95% are on the same page as our FO and our fan base.

Stay firm and the course JD.

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Hahaha GB fans just throwing a tantrum bc our FO didn't overpay for their old QB.

Throwing a tantrum?  No.  Annoyed that the Jets apparently changed their offer?  Absolutely.

34 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Narrative changes for everything with him. They're done with him and he wasn't good last year, yet they thinks he's worth a 2nd and a 1st? Makes no sense.

You do realize that those two things aren't mutually inclusive?  You can both believe that the Packers are better off moving off of Aaron Rodgers, but also think he's still a damn good QB right?  It's the same concept that Jets' fans can believe that he can win the Jets a Super Bowl, but only want to give up a Matt Ryan-like trade package.

36 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

They say how AR beats to his own drum and we'll soon realize this, Yet are upset we didn't pull the trigger on a an overpay for him after he said he was 90% retired a week previous.

He also said he was "immunized" to purposely mislead the media.  What makes you think those words weren't intentionally misleading?

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

They hold all the cards in this, Yet they need to get rid of him for sure.

They're ok keeping him all the way until the season starts (as if the fans run the franchise HAHAHA). Like AR cant report to camps and force GBs hand.

Most rational fans don't believe they hold the cards.  In fact, most have acknowledged that the Jets are the only real serious suitor and that a deal will inevitably get done.  But you're lying if you think Green Bay feels any pressure between post-draft and the start of the regular season.

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Throwing a tantrum?  No.  Annoyed that the Jets apparently changed their offer?  Absolutely.

You do realize that those two things aren't mutually inclusive?  You can both believe that the Packers are better off moving off of Aaron Rodgers, but also think he's still a damn good QB right?  It's the same concept that Jets' fans can believe that he can win the Jets a Super Bowl, but only want to give up a Matt Ryan-like trade package.

He also said he was "immunized" to purposely mislead the media.  What makes you think those words weren't intentionally misleading?

Most rational fans don't believe they hold the cards.  In fact, most have acknowledged that the Jets are the only real serious suitor and that a deal will inevitably get done.  But you're lying if you think Green Bay feels any pressure between post-draft and the start of the regular season.

The is only being reported and almost all the reports have been way off. I saw a report where the deal was done but GB backed out becasue they thought the Raiders where going to jump in and they did not and went back to the Jets. 

i

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

The is only being reported and almost all the reports have been way off. I saw a report where the deal was done but GB backed out becasue they thought the Raiders where going to jump in and they did not and went back to the Jets. 

i

Reports change daily and it's only the GG fans choosing which ones they like.

BS report saying another team is involved. Ya let's drink some of that rumor.

Jets changed there offer after McAfee. Ya let's drink that rumor.

The ones that aren't in their favor, seem to never be brought up. Or they twist it.

10 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

How can a report be way off if we have no way to confirm?  And who reported the Las Vegas part?  Seems like wishful thinking by Packers' fans.  But I don't recall there being a credible report suggesting the Packers were expecting Las Vegas to jump in.  There was a brief moment (think it was roughly 24 hours) when the Jimmy G introductory press conference got postponed that there was speculation that the Raiders were getting involved with Rodgers.