Padres sign Xander Bogaerts - 11-year, $280 mil

DirtyDez

11 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

He's not as bad as you're making him out to be but he's not worth that contract at all. They'll probably front load the contract. 

Defensively? He been below average his entire career defensively, and it gets much worse after 30, especially for the already bad ones. It just is what it is. 

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd be very surprised if the contract was front loaded.

I'd be surprised if they didn't. If the front load it and he declines and they trade him, another team is more likely to take on the rest of the contract and Machado will definitely opt out so they'll have money coming off the books too 

1 minute ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't. If the front load it and he declines and they trade him, another team is more likely to take on the rest of the contract and Machado will definitely opt out so they'll have money coming off the books too 

There's a NTC in there, so any deal would have to be signed off on by Bogarts.  And teams are always pushing money into the future.  I don't think there's a ton of history of teams frontloading contracts.

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's a NTC in there, so any deal would have to be signed off on by Bogarts.  And teams are always pushing money into the future.  I don't think there's a ton of history of teams frontloading contracts.

I think a lot of teams do it when they have money coming off the books. That's how we signed Eovaldi and sale to their extensions. What a backfire Sale was