Top 10 CBs?

Elusive_Tiger

12 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

My point is that CB’s that start out great have a track record of putting together great careers. When comparing players...such as Lattimore vs Rhodes...it’s impossible to not consider age and upside. The typical peak of the average CB’s career is between the ages of 27-29. So while Rhodes is great...he likely is in his peak and will only be there for a few more seasons. That’s not to say that he can’t be good after 29...but I’d expect at least some level of decline. Meanwhile...Lattimore is only 21 years old. He is years away from his physical peak. He could go the next half decade before reaching it. So, yes...there is less of a track record of success...but there is also considerable upside when compared to Rhodes. That is why I’m taking Lattimore over Rhodes. They look like similar players right now and I’m intrigued to see how much higher the ceiling goes. I can see a much better argument of Lattimore vs Ramsey...but not Rhodes. 

The “argument” isn’t which CB you’d take for the next 10 years. It’s who is better. If that’s the debate, then Watson>Brady. 

Rhodes has been, and has the track record to prove it. Your youth argument works both ways - he has shown incredible play as a rookie, but has yet to show it consistently. 

You’re delusional if you think being a “high first round pick” gives him some sort of pedigree over Rhodes or any other CB who has proven themselves to be elite. 

Rhodes regularly follows around team's best WRs (unless they primarily play from the slot, and when the guys he covers do go into the slot he generally does not follow them there). I'm not sure any other top tier CB does that at the moment. I've watched every coverage snap through week 13 of Rhodes, he has shadowed Antonio Brown, Mikes Evans, Marvin Jones x2, Davante Adams, Sammy Watkins, and Julio Jones. Marvin simply sonned him during their 2nd bout... but the other 6 matchups combined? Just 11 catches for 108 yards and 0 TDs in man coverage against those aforementioned WRs, who he followed around and was covering on at least 75% of their passing snaps. That's insane. I get the feeling Zimmer treats Rhodes when it comes to making gameplans similar to how Rex treated Revis. Puts him on the team's best outside guy, and just let's him do what he does best, physical man.

On 12/25/2017 at 2:59 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Rhodes regularly follows around team's best WRs (unless they primarily play from the slot, and when the guys he covers do go into the slot he generally does not follow them there). I'm not sure any other top tier CB does that at the moment. I've watched every coverage snap through week 13 of Rhodes, he has shadowed Antonio Brown, Mikes Evans, Marvin Jones x2, Davante Adams, Sammy Watkins, and Julio Jones. Marvin simply sonned him during their 2nd bout... but the other 6 matchups combined? Just 11 catches for 108 yards and 0 TDs in man coverage against those aforementioned WRs, who he followed around and was covering on at least 75% of their passing snaps. That's insane. I get the feeling Zimmer treats Rhodes when it comes to making gameplans similar to how Rex treated Revis. Puts him on the team's best outside guy, and just let's him do what he does best, physical man.

Lattimore does if there is a WR worth shadowing.  For example he was on Julio Jones for the majority of the game in man-to-man though there were some zone and Lattimore playing off Jones at times as well.  If Lattimore doesn't have someone worthy of following he just shuts down whatever WR comes to his side.  Rhodes is great, probably better than Lattimore at this moment, though it's close, but considering the high level of play that Lattimore displayed in college and how he hasn't missed a beat in the NFL it's hard to think he would fall off, I mean anything it's possible but more likely he's going to continue playing at this high of a level.  For a longterm option Lattimore is obviously the better choice as he's younger and has a better contract, but for this specific season, Rhodes is the answer due to his high level of play as well as his better health.

2 hours ago, Raves said:

Lattimore does if there is a WR worth shadowing.  For example he was on Julio Jones for the majority of the game in man-to-man though there were some zone and Lattimore playing off Jones at times as well.  If Lattimore doesn't have someone worthy of following he just shuts down whatever WR comes to his side.  Rhodes is great, probably better than Lattimore at this moment, though it's close, but considering the high level of play that Lattimore displayed in college and how he hasn't missed a beat in the NFL it's hard to think he would fall off, I mean anything it's possible but more likely he's going to continue playing at this high of a level.  For a longterm option Lattimore is obviously the better choice as he's younger and has a better contract, but for this specific season, Rhodes is the answer due to his high level of play as well as his better health.

Agree, going forward, Lattimore is the easy choice. 21 year old playing the CB spot at an elite level is remarkable. Crazy that you also have Ramcyzk playing at a high level too. Two rookies excelling at positions with notorious learning curves. Then there's that Kamara guy.. what a class.

31 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Agree, going forward, Lattimore is the easy choice. 21 year old playing the CB spot at an elite level is remarkable. Crazy that you also have Ramcyzk playing at a high level too. Two rookies excelling at positions with notorious learning curves. Then there's that Kamara guy.. what a class.

And Marcus Williams has been a quality starter as well.  We hit on our first 4 picks and even Hendriks and Anzalone were looking good prior to injuries.  It was definitely a great class with both star power and solid starters/depth.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Our CB argument aged well.

Rhodes didn't have a great game against Thomas and let up a few catches and a TD.

Lattimore couldn't even grasp onto Thielen to stop him from catching balls.

:$

Oh well, both still top 5 CB's

I may be wrong, but didn't Lattimore only allow 2 catches to Thielen?

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

4 + 2 holding calls & DPI

Same as what Rhodes let up covering Thomas. Thomas had a touchdown tho.

Thomas had 2. I don't remember him allowing 4 catches at all, and one of the holding calls and DPI were on the same play, and both were declined.

Archived