The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

All four front-office executives consulted this week – three with teams, plus a former GM who still works in NFL circles – predicted the Packers would get at least a first-round pick. Three thought they’d get another pick as well.

One said a first-rounder and a third-rounder that could escalate to a second based on Rodgers’ performance in ’23. Another said a first-rounder and a third- or fourth-rounder. Another said a first-rounder and flip-flop of picks after the first round. And the other said a first-rounder straight up as long as the pick wasn’t near the top of the round.

Looks like the Packers will be seeking a 1st and another pick for ARod.

Edited by NYRaider

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He only has a $31M cap hit in 2023 and $40.7M cap hit in 2024, it gets ugly in 2025/2026 when his cap number jumps up to $59.3M / $53.4M. We'd basically be paying him what we would've been paying Carr over the next two years. I'd just be hesitant to give up significant draft capital, especially considering that he might retire after next year. 

I don't think your head coach is very involved in trade talks with other teams regardless or that he's viewed as a "snake" around the league, lol. But Ziegler does seems to be pretty legit with connections around the league, I read that he's super close with the Texans GM. And today there were Carr to Houston predictions but I don't think that makes a ton of sense for either side.

So if the colts said hey will give you our 2023 1st for carr…you’d trust them?

8 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

So if the colts said hey will give you our 2023 1st for carr…you’d trust them?

The Colts are probably the one team I'd be hesitant to trust. But they'd probably be blackballed within league circles if they agreed to do it and then pulled out. Even in that scenario I think we'd still be able to trade him without taking on any financial ramifications if the other team agreed to take on his whole deal.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Some keep making a big deal out of the "what if a team backs out after a trade" part of this. 

I would assume any trade would be negotiated to extend Carr's guarantees to the start of the new league year. Seems pretty straight forward in my view. 

I agree that it won't be an issue at all but didn't Carr's camp say they're not interested in extending the deadline? You'd think he would benefit if the team had more time.

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Colts are probably the one team I'd be hesitant to trust. But they'd probably be blackballed within league circles if they agreed to do it and then pulled out. Even in that scenario I think we'd still be able to trade him without taking on any financial ramifications if the other team agreed to take on his whole deal.

Meh verbal agreements are just that verbal. With 40 mill on the line gotta be careful. If we complain that team backed out can we get in trouble for tampering?

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Colts are a strange team. Jeff Saturday is favorite to be named HC 😂

11 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh verbal agreements are just that verbal. With 40 mill on the line gotta be careful. If we complain that team backed out can we get in trouble for tampering?

Stafford was just traded under similar circumstances and as BP said i'm sure a condition of the trade would be that the deadline is pushed back just to cover our own arse. And no I don't believe so.

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Stafford was just traded under similar circumstances and as BP said i'm sure a condition of the trade would be that the deadline is pushed back just to cover our own arse. And no I don't believe so.

Stafford had a Feb 15 deadline and no trade clause?

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

Stafford had a Feb 15 deadline and no trade clause?

No but as BP said the logical work around is to extend the deadline with Carr until the day after the new league year begins so in the scenario that the deal falls through for some reason we can still cut him without any negative impact financially. I personally don't think his GTD money is going to be an issue for us, it's just a matter of finding a trade partner or cutting him.

I'm personally surprised that he's not willing to extend the deadline though.

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

No but as BP said the logical work around is to extend the deadline with Carr until the day after the new league year begins so in the scenario that the deal falls through for some reason we can still cut him without any negative impact financially. I personally don't think his GTD money is going to be an issue for us, it's just a matter of finding a trade partner or cutting him.

I'm personally surprised that he's not willing to extend the deadline though.

That deadline is a major factor and what makes this so tricky. Esp with David acting creepy I’m not too trusting about the situation 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

That deadline is a major factor and what makes this so tricky. Esp with David acting creepy I’m not too trusting about the situation 

At the end of the day it's in DC's best interest to work with the team to facilitate a trade. By doing so he guarantees himself $40M over the next two seasons and keeps his contract intact that's set to pay him $110M+ over the next three seasons. That's why he kind of let his foot off the gas in terms of "exposing" the Raiders by telling DC4's side of the story. Carr won't get nearly as much in free agency and he'll be competing with guys like TB12 and JG.

It's still pretty amazing to me that we gave Carr a NTC with such an early deadline though when guys like Rodgers, Stafford, etc. didn't get a NTC.

Edited by NYRaider