Leisher's 2023 mock draft if season ended on 1/1/23.

jleisher

Packers stay in house, selecting Brian Gutekunst as next GM - Wisconsin ...

Packers' Russ Ball earns high marks for salary-cap, contract wizardry

Brain Gutenkunst and Russ Ball will work their magic with cap space.

Resigns:

csyptcr0gibrhtbttx7t.jpg

Adrain Amos S 2yrs $9m 60%.  Cap hit $7.2

goxv1aqmoab1vanbdpxu.jpg

Allen Lazard WR 4yrs $12m 50%.  Cap hit $8.4m

fknt37k2ssezctuc0kca.jpg

Keisean Nixon RS/S 2yrs $3m 50%.  Cap hit $2.4m

klxhtyaux9gm6etppg7c.jpg

Justin Hollins Edge 2yrs $5m 40%.  Cap hit $4m

czlgh2db6mb4l4wgoubi.jpg

Dallin Leavitt ST/S 1yr $2m 40%.  Cap hit $1.6m

ahghh2fsawrqr6vj7hk9.jpg

Rudy Ford ST/S 1yr $2m 40%.  Cap hit $1.6m

Outside FA targets:

Bigger, stronger, motivated Zach Allen set for second NFL season ...    Zach Allen DE 5yrs $7m 50%.  Cap hit $4.2m

Watch: Dolphins TE Mike Gesicki makes absurd throw and catch over a ...    Mike Gesicki TE 3yrs $10m 50%.  Cap hit $7.5m

2023 Packers Draft:  Used PFN simulator and NFL Draft Buzz for scouting reports.

#16.  Lions call and offer picks #17 and #47 for picks #16 and #81.  (Lions select QB Will Levis.)

#17.  NE calls and offer picks #21 and #70 for pick #17.  (NE selects DL Bryan Breese.)

#21.  Packers select

Northwestern OT Peter Skoronski Receives Big Ten Preseason Honors ...

Peter Skoronski T/G Northwestern 

PASS BLOCKING:

100%
RUN BLOCKING:

92%

• Does a nice job on the second level, moving up field quickly and showing the flexibility and balance to land blocks in space.
  • Skoronski gets off the snap quickly and is consistently able to generate movement at the point of attack, typically finishing those blocks strong.
  • He has the powerful upper body, strong core and the grip to win at the point of attack. He does a solid job as a hand fighter. He also flashes the agility to get around and land blocks as a puller.
  • Has the feet to adjust when he anticipates what's coming. Effective trapping and bends at the knees with adequate core strength to absorb the bull rush. Can clear a path at the second level if he hits the target.
  • When his hand placement is right, he has the strong grip that allows him to manhandle opponents. Skoronski plays with a mean streak and keeps the nastiness going through the whistle.

#46.  Packers select

Week 3 College Football Preview: Devy Stock Watch - Campus 2 Canton

Dalton Kincaid TE Utah 

QB RATING WHEN TARGETED: 122.8
HANDS:

92%
SHORT RECEIVING:

94%
INTERMEDIATE ROUTES:

95%
DEEP THREAT:

95%
BLOCKING:

63%
DRAFT PROJECTION: 1ST - LATE POSITION RANK: #2

• Kincaid plays with a smoothness and balance, and Kincaid shows a knack for setting up defensive backs.
  • He has soft hands and uses his frame effectively to shield defenders, making him a major threat in the red zone. Kincaid can also turn up field and break a tackle.
  • A lean athlete with obvious upside. Soft hands. Flashes the ability to make the outstanding catch.
  • Quick athlete and is usually sure handed as a receiver. Much-improved route runner, creating space in coverage.
  • Decent strength and effort to run through arm tackles.

#47.  Packers select

Alabama DB Jordan Battle heads to medical tent late vs. Vanderbit - On3

Jordan Battle S Alabama

QB RATING WHEN TARGETED: 77.7
TACKLING:

88%
RUN DEFENSE:

81%
COVERAGE:

95%
ZONE:

86%
MAN/PRESS:

90%

• Physical safety that has the perfect size for the strong size position - brilliant in the box with linebacker like skills
  • A natural leader of the Alabama defense and possess a high football IQ with great instincts
  • Smooth hips and fluid in coverage
  • Scares the hell out of smaller receivers over the middle - regularly blows them up with big hits
  • In 2021 he was fantastic in coverage - excelling in man to man. Allowed only 111 yds when targeted all season
  • Has the speed to stay with receivers deep and doesn't allow much of a cushion
  • Does a very good job of reading the eyes of the quarterback and reacting with good field awareness and ball skills.
  • Aware in the red zone, stays on the backline to take away fade throws. Capable of making quarterbacks pay for late throws.
  • Tough and scrappy with forceful nature to be physical at all levels of the field. Has good bulk on his frame to be aggressive in run support.
  • Has good body control and balance to redirect and break down in the open field.
  • Savvy using his hands to get to the ball without drawing flags. Willing tackler and high-effort leader.

#70.  Packers select

Georgia football: TE Darnell Washington never considered transferring ...

Darnell Washington TE Georgia

QB RATING WHEN TARGETED: 111.2
HANDS:

73%
SHORT RECEIVING:

88%
INTERMEDIATE ROUTES:

90%
DEEP THREAT:

81%
BLOCKING:

83%

• A powerful open-field runner with agility, quickness, and a decent stiff-arm.
  • Knee-bend and technique are good, and Washington shows decent power when his hands hit the target.
  • His long arms allow him to play bigger than his size, and he has a frame that can carry a little more weight.
  • He’s a coordinated hands catcher who does a nice job digging out low throws. He’s very good with the ball in his hands, a violent runner after the catch, and often able to fend off defenders with a straight arm.
  • Washington has a tapered build and strong hands, ripping the ball back with ease when defensive backs manage to get a hold of it.
  • He’s very good in contested-catch situations, using his frame effectively to make plays facing the quarterback. Washington also shows a knack for high pointing the ball, consistently outmuscling defensive backs.

#116.  Packers select

Derick Hall gives smart take on being selected for the SEC preseason ...

Derick Hall Edge Auburn 

TACKLING:

74%
PASS RUSH:

93%
RUN DEFENSE:

70%

6.5 Sacks

• Hall can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level.
  • He has the strong core and powerful hands to shed blockers, and Hall shows excellent instincts with the ability to quickly locate the ball.
  • He’s quick to react and locate the ball, and he shows enough speed to succeed in backside pursuit. He plays with excellent balance and a strong, flexible core, rarely ending up on the ground.
  • He locates the ball quickly, and he shows good instincts when dropping into zone coverage.
  • He has the classic frame and long arms with some explosion, power, and ability to close.
  • Hall can move laterally and chase in pursuit. A tough, violent tackler with a non-stop motor, he also shows good awareness when dropping into coverage.

#147.  Packers select

Purdue star WR Charlie Jones faces old team when Iowa visits | AP News

Charlie Jones WR Purdue

QB RATING WHEN TARGETED: 118.1
HANDS:

88%
SHORT RECEIVING:

84%
INTERMEDIATE ROUTES:

89%
DEEP THREAT:

90%
BLOCKING:

57%

• Although Jones is more of a possession target than a field stretcher, he fiercely competitive demeanor and run-after-catch ability make him a major threat in the middle of the field.
  • A savvy, natural pass-catcher with reliable hands and very good focus. Snatches the ball out of the air and shows the concentration to make acrobatic catches look easy.
  • Jones tracks the ball well downfield and consistently runs under long throws.
  • Jones is a natural playmaker, at his best with the ball in his hands.
  • His competitiveness and knack for high pointing the ball allow him to play bigger than his size.

#169.  Packers select

Elijah Higgins - Football - Stanford University Athletics

Elijah Higgens WR Stanford

QB RATING WHEN TARGETED: 93.1
HANDS:

71%
SHORT RECEIVING:

68%
INTERMEDIATE ROUTES:

75%
DEEP THREAT:

72%
BLOCKING:

59%

• Higgins runs precise routes, showing an innate feel for setting up defensive backs to create separation.
  • Top-shelf balance and the lower-body strength to power through arm tackles. Has very good vision to set up his moves with impressive run-after the- catch ability.
  • Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #32. He wrote, "Stanford quarterback Tanner McKee said Higgins, despite his huge frame, is the fastest or one of the two fastest players in the program. McKee said one day this offseason, players were challenging each other on the Kaiser machine, putting 80 pounds on it to row it to see what their max power would be. McKee said most of the guys were registering around 1,600-1,700. “Elijah went up there and hit 2,100 and everyone started freaking out."
  • He shows good initial quickness off the line of scrimmage, and Higgins has enough strength to be able to consistently escape the jam at the next level. He’s a coordinated hands catcher who effectively tracks the ball downfield.
  • Higgins has strong hands and is extremely competitive, and he has an innate sense of timing when it comes to elevating and high-pointing balls.
  • A versatile weapon, proving to be effective inside in the slot and outside on the perimeter. Makes plays at all levels of the field.
  • Has a tall frame and long arms, plus strong hands, giving him a huge catch radius.

#201.  Packers select

Avery Young confident that new Rutgers era has arrived

Avery Young DB Rutgers

QB RATING WHEN TARGETED: 86.8
TACKLING:

94%
RUN DEFENSE:

86%
COVERAGE:

75%
ZONE:

77%
MAN/PRESS:

71%

• Flashes good ball skills. Young has the fluidity and change-of-direction ability to mirror quicker receivers underneath.
  • Has the fluidity, speed and quick feet to come down and defend slot receivers in man coverage. Young also does a nice job breaking down in space as a tackler after the catch.
  • Fluid mover with decent speed and his length allows him to cover effectively downfield
  • He’s also very good in zone coverage, showing a great understanding of routes and the ability to close quickly.
  • Closes to the ball quite well and possesses the hands to ****** throws away from his frame.

#213.  Packers select

Jartavius Martin - 2022 - Football - University of Illinois Athletics

Jartavius Martin DB Illinois

QB RATING WHEN TARGETED: 74.4
TACKLING:

97%
RUN DEFENSE:

92%
COVERAGE:

74%
ZONE:

70%
MAN/PRESS:

76%

• In the run game, he’s aggressive coming downhill and a sure tackler.
  • Good strength to tackle. Plays with high energy and is a tough-minded overachiever.
  • Extremely aggressive to come up and put his body in traffic to make tackles.
  • He’s excellent in run support, a physical hitter who could also get a look at safety
  • Can track the ball downfield and gets his head around when playing in a trail position, and Martin shows excellent ball skills when breaking on a route. He’s a plus tackler in run support as well.
  • Transitions well from coverage to close on the ball. Strong hands, quick reactions for the interceptions.

#217.  Packers select 

ODU’s Keion White makes a smooth transition to defensive end - Daily Press

Keion White DE/Edge Georgia Tech

TACKLING:

64%
PASS RUSH:

79%
RUN DEFENSE:

84%

• His motor is excellent, and he’s quick to locate the ball and make plays against the run.
  • Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #20. He wrote "White was a devastating player for Old Dominion in 2019, making 19 TFLs. He was 265 then. He transferred to Tech, but then suffered an ankle injury that sidelined him. He’s now 6-4, 290, and primed to be a problem for ACC teams. White has hit 21 mph despite being almost 300 pounds. He also has vertical-jumped 32 inches and done 38 reps of 225 on the bench press."
  • White has decent enough flexibility to bend the edge, and White shows a good closing burst.
  • Tall, solid frame with adequate length and has done a nice job losing the bad weight and firming his body.
  • He has a lethal spin move and the pure speed to close quickly.
  • White has an excellent feel for working off blockers and knowing how and when to counter as the play goes on.
  • He’s a high-motor player, and he shows good enough hand use, as well as a tight spin move, to win as an edge rusher.

UDFA's:

Georgia vs. South Carolina by the numbers: Streaks in Bulldogs’ favor ...

Antwane Wells WR S. Carolina

Jacob Gall - Football - Baylor University Athletics

Jacob Gall C Baylor

Texans 2022 NFL draft target: Houston DE D’Anthony Jones

D'Anthony Jones DE Houston

Baylor TE Ben Sims Power Cleans 365 Lbs - Gridiron Heroics

Ben Sims TE Baylor

Athlete Dee Winters officially signs with TCU - Frogs O' War

Dee Winters LB TCU

Dylan Horton - Football - TCU Athletics

Dylan Horton DE/Edge TCU

NFL Draft Profile: Xazavian Valladay, Running Back, Arizona State Sun ...

Xazavian Valladay RB Arizona St.

Grayson McCall - Football - Coastal Carolina University Athletics

Grayson McCall QB Coastal Carolina

Hunter Luepke's return boosts NDSU past UND

Hunter Luepke RB N. Dakota St.

UTC offensive lineman McClendon Curtis has transformed his mind and ...

McClendon Curtis T/G Chattanooga

OSU football: How Tyler Lacy's mom helped bond other Cowboy parents in ...

Tyler Lacy DE Oklahoma St.

• Like 1

Without pretending that I have even begun to look at any individual players, I will offer a critique.  

I like: 

Double dipping at TE.  I think that is a position that we have been well behind in production for quite a while.  Keep throwing bodies at it until we get it right.

Continuing to develop depth at edge.  Getting Hollins is a solid move this season.  Adding to that room is always good.

I question:

Drafting OL this early.  I don't see anything about losing Bakhtiari, or Nijman.  We also have some pretty promising rookies to work with.  If anything, IMO, go guard in the mid rounds again, but this should be a solid unit.  It struggled early with players playing outside of their best position due to some injuries.  

Going the scattershot method at WR.  You brought back Lazard, and we are returning Watson and Doubs.  We also have pretty promising players in Toure and Melton, and even our PS has Winfree and Fulgham, who are both NFL vets.  So we are really replacing Cobb.  I think, if we are looking to add to the WR room, we look to add another big time player, as the depth looks pretty good already.  

I don't like:

Spending on DL in FA, but not in the draft.  I like the Clark, Slaton, Wyatt line.  Ford to this point is an unknown.  To replace Reed and Lowry, I would like to see at least one draft pick used instead of just one UDFA flier.  Perhaps one of the WRs or defensive backs taken could be DL?

Your drafts need to include Rod Marinelli now just for the giggles.  

I didn't know there was no cap for next year.  This is not realistic.

Jones is gone, and we don't draft a RB to pair with what we have left?  I like the 1st round pick although that's a little early, but at our deepest position?

I like the 2nd round pick, if we got him in round 4.  Way to early.

Don't especially like the two trades early.  If I'm giving up early picks I'm not looking for fair market value.  You're going to pay deep.  I'd take Levi myself at 16 before I made that trade.  Be worth it to watch Ol Rodg squirm and whine.

I like EDGE and I like one early.  And another after that.  P Smith is likely gone and Gary won't be starting the season with us.

Comments are, of course, with the caveat that it is so early in the draft process that these values might be comical later:

Solid and realistic draft. Skowronski falling that far for arm length would be similar to Bulaga sliding in the draft for similar concerns. I could see him starting at RG for this team since it seems everyone is coming back.

Kincaid, Battle and Washington are all among my more liked players right now. I'd be thrilled to get all three.

Late rounds I like double dipping at edge WR and DB. I'm fine not taking a DL since we took one in FA and I like the young talent on the team. 

Contract values seem a little off but I think adding all those players could be realistic with a few restructures.