2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

No way JD is over paying for Rodgers. GB has ZERO leverage here. You can keep Rodgers and his high pay and then you have to sign A. Jones to a top 5 RB money or he is gone. Then you add the fact you have more guys up for FA and you probably want some free momey to sign a FA so your cap is VERY tight. The only other team that has room and wants a 39 year old QB is the Raiders and all signs point to Brady going there. If Brady signs with the Raiders before Rodgers is moved GB is in trouble. You just hope Rodgers calls it a career. GB is not going any where with or without Rodgers. I think the best thing GB gets is a first in 2024. The Jets have options and don't need to make this move. JD has never lost a trade yet. In fact he has ripped tems off the last few years. Expect this to continue with JD. The guy is a savage when it comes to trades.

Jets

Raiders

Miami(depending on Tua's health)

Washington

Indy

Tampa(depending on what Tom does)

SF

Tennesse 

Baltimore(depending on Lamar)

All potential teams that will have interest in Rodgers. Just takes 2 to get into a bidding war

1 minute ago, xrade said:

You keep bringing up the draft pick compensation as the reason some don't want Rodgers.  For many of us it is NOT the reason.  The reason for wanting a younger QB is for duration.  I am not sold on Rodgers lasting more than a year, maybe 2.  I also don't think we are SB bound in that timeframe.  Playoffs - absolutely.

So, to be clear, it is NOT about draft pick compensation.  It is about duration and the potential cap consequences.  And where did you see Jimmy G for $100M?  That sounds insane.

You don't think Jimmy is getting a 3-4 year deal over 25M per?  He'll be at or close to 100M.  25M is middle of the pack so no reason he won't get that easily.

It's about draft compensation for many if you read the comments.  Yes duration is a factor but many people say they don't want to cough up picks so yeah it's about picks too.

Who cares about duration when Jimmy sucks and we won't be good enough to compete.  Are we trying to be first round exits for the next 5-7 years or superbowl contenders for 2-3?

If you don't think Rodgers makes us contenders then I get it but I 100% don't agree with that and very much prefer to be possibly great for 2 years then having Jimmy G continually fall short for longer because he's younger. 

7 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Jets

Raiders

Miami(depending on Tua's health)

Washington

Indy

Tampa(depending on what Tom does)

SF

Tennesse 

Baltimore(depending on Lamar)

All potential teams that will have interest in Rodgers. Just takes 2 to get into a bidding war

Rodgers has a say so most of those teams aren't in play.  All NFC teams would have to overpay (SF doesn't really have the picks to do so) and Rodgers isn't going to INDY, WAS TEN.  It's probably Jets, LV and maybe MIA if they move on from Tua.  I'm not even sure Rodgers would play for LV because there probably a worse situation then GB.

Rodgers wants to win NY offers that most of those others don't.

Edited by Rockice_8

18 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Rodgers would walk in the door day 1 and immediately be the best QB in franchise history.  He would shatter every single season QB record in 2023 and that is a fact.  

I know. Saw a stat the other day that we haven’t had a QB throw for 4k since Namath. And we haven’t had a QB exceed 31 TDs (Fitzpatrick).

Rodgers alone has thrown for for over 4k 10 times and has exceeded 31 TDs 7 times.

19 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Rodgers has a say so most of those teams aren't in play.  All NFC teams would have to overpay (SF doesn't really have the picks to do so) and Rodgers isn't going to INDY, WAS TEN.  It's probably Jets, LV and maybe MIA if they move on from Tua.  I'm not even sure Rodgers would play for LV because there probably a worse situation then GB.

Rodgers wants to win NY offers that most of those others don't.

Indy has good weapons, a solid defense and plays in the weakest division in the league. Also an owner that is notoriously trigger happy on win now moves

Washington has some of the best weapons in the league and a dominant DL. A potential Rodgers trade could interest Snyder due to it raising the value of the franchise right as he's about to sell.

Titans and Niners are the longest shots in my opinion. Tenn because of their skill positions and cap situation. Niners because they have no draft capital and they're our biggest rival of late. Rodgers does have personal connections to both though. He just bought a lot of land in Nashville last offseason and is from the Bay.

Point being, there will be no shortage of teams interested in Rodgers and it just takes 2 to get into a bidding war.

Edited by Mdpackfan22
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If you don't think Rodgers makes us contenders then I get it but I 100% don't agree with that and very much prefer to be possibly great for 2 years then having Jimmy G continually fall short for longer because he's younger. 

Where would the Jets have been if Jimmy G were QB of the team last season?  Playoffs no doubt.  SB?  Probably not.  If Aaron were QB I am guessing same thing.  Not because Jimmy G is better or Aaron is worse, it is because the team needs a bit more than a QB to be SB bound.  We need the OL fixed and, no, just getting Becton back aint fixing the OL if he even makes it out of TC.  We will need to cut some players to free up $.  But that will be reducing our depth especially on the DL making us just a bit worse there.

The point I am making is that while Rodgers may be a better QB he is not elite enough anymore to push over the top.  Couple that with his very high probability that he will hang it up sooner rather than later leaving us in cap hell and I do indeed want a younger QB that will be good enough to get us into the post season.  Carr, Jimmy G, Danny Dimes would all be my preferences.  Anyone lesser and we might as well keep White.  Rodgers to me is in the same boat as Brady.  Maybe he still has enough to lead us BUT maybe not.  Too chancy in my book.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Other thing regarding Rodgers and money. Is we have no one to pay for the next few years. All Our young talent isn’t due pay days for a few more years. 

Big Q and few replacements over 3 years.  Without good picks, we aren't able to replace "suck" players to stay afloat in "elite" level.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Rodgers would walk in the door day 1 and immediately be the best QB in franchise history.  He would shatter every single season QB record in 2023 and that is a fact.  

2023 has yet to be played so calling it a fact is as good as a fantasy.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

You keep bringing up the draft pick compensation as the reason some don't want Rodgers.  For many of us it is NOT the reason.  The reason for wanting a younger QB is for duration.  I am not sold on Rodgers lasting more than a year, maybe 2.  I also don't think we are SB bound in that timeframe.  Playoffs - absolutely.

So, to be clear, it is NOT about draft pick compensation.  It is about duration and the potential cap consequences.  And where did you see Jimmy G for $100M?  That sounds insane.

Contract may net him a 100m or more but not all will be guaranteed.  Just focus on first 2 years when it comes to gtd.   Yes, it is good chance to have cap issue like we would have Rodgers aboard. Hopefully, Jets get good deal with Jimmy G or Carr like less than 75m dangerous money, comparing to Rodgers' 60-110m plus picks.

56 minutes ago, xrade said:

Where would the Jets have been if Jimmy G were QB of the team last season?  Playoffs no doubt.  SB?  Probably not.  If Aaron were QB I am guessing same thing.  Not because Jimmy G is better or Aaron is worse, it is because the team needs a bit more than a QB to be SB bound.  We need the OL fixed and, no, just getting Becton back aint fixing the OL if he even makes it out of TC.  We will need to cut some players to free up $.  But that will be reducing our depth especially on the DL making us just a bit worse there.

The point I am making is that while Rodgers may be a better QB he is not elite enough anymore to push over the top.  Couple that with his very high probability that he will hang it up sooner rather than later leaving us in cap hell and I do indeed want a younger QB that will be good enough to get us into the post season.  Carr, Jimmy G, Danny Dimes would all be my preferences.  Anyone lesser and we might as well keep White.  Rodgers to me is in the same boat as Brady.  Maybe he still has enough to lead us BUT maybe not.  Too chancy in my book.

LOL.  The guy is 1 year removed from 4,100 yards and 37 TD 4 INTs (elite).  Played this year with no weapons and a broken thumb.

Jimmy G isn't close to the QB of Rodgers, not even close.  You are seriously underrating what plugging in an elite QB does to a team.  We can move money, restructure, back load deals, and will still have #13 to boost the OL.  We legit have a chance to on paper be one of the better teams in the league and with a little injury luck Superbowl contenders.  I totally disagree that we wouldn't be.  KC and Cin are flawed teams too not one team is perfect. 

I can live with Carr as a fall back but Jimmy G is going to cost JD and Saleh their jobs he's a product of Shanny.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Cerebral QBs like Rodgers do wonders for an OL. For most of his time in GB, he's had an elite OL without us investing heavily into it(only 2 1st rounders, Sherrod(injury bust) and Bulaga). One of the reasons for that is Rodgers and his ability to adjust playcalls and blocking alignments at the LOS. 

Edited by Mdpackfan22

16 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Big Q and few replacements over 3 years.  Without good picks, we aren't able to replace "suck" players to stay afloat in "elite" level.

2023 has yet to be played so calling it a fact is as good as a fantasy.

Contract may net him a 100m or more but not all will be guaranteed.  Just focus on first 2 years when it comes to gtd.   Yes, it is good chance to have cap issue like we would have Rodgers aboard. Hopefully, Jets get good deal with Jimmy G or Carr like less than 75m dangerous money, comparing to Rodgers' 60-110m plus picks.

We're giving up probably a conditional 1st in 2024 (late 1st rounder I'd assume) and a mid rounder in 2023.  We'll have picks still.   

9 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

LOL.  The guy is 1 year removed from 4,100 yards and 37 TD 4 INTs (elite).  Played this year with no weapons and a broken thumb.

Jimmy G isn't close to the QB of Rodgers, not even close.  You are seriously underrating what plugging in an elite QB does to a team.  We can move money, restructure, back load deals, and will still have #13 to boost the OL.  We legit have a chance to on paper be one of the better teams in the league and with a little injury luck Superbowl contenders.  I totally disagree that we wouldn't be.  KC and Cin are flawed teams too not one team is perfect. 

I can live with Carr as a fall back but Jimmy G is going to cost JD and Saleh their jobs he's a product of Shanny.

I believe half of Cinci's defense is FA this year and they won't be able to retain most of them and 2023 is when Mahomes contract finally kicks in. If Jets have Rodgers, I think they're the favorite to come out of the AFC next year. Could see you guys potentially doubling down and going all in on DHop also. 

Edited by Mdpackfan22

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

You are seriously underrating what plugging in an elite QB does to a team.

That is because I do not consider him elite anymore.  If you want to hang onto his glory years as to what his future holds, have at it.  I prefer realism and a safer route than what he would bring.

15 minutes ago, xrade said:

That is because I do not consider him elite anymore.  If you want to hang onto his glory years as to what his future holds, have at it.  I prefer realism and a safer route than what he would bring.

1 year removed is glory years?  There are legit reasons for his slight decline last year not just decline due to age?  I'm not pulling stats from 2019 here.  You play it safe with Jimmy G and enjoy the round 1 exits.  At least we'll have the 20th overall pick next year though because that OG or S we draft will get us over the hump.  

JD and Saleh will actually have to stick to realism because they know their jobs are hanging in the balance and luckily aren't dumb enough to bank on Jimmy to save them.

1 hour ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I believe half of Cinci's defense is FA this year and they won't be able to retain most of them and 2023 is when Mahomes contract finally kicks in. If Jets have Rodgers, I think they're the favorite to come out of the AFC next year. Could see you guys potentially doubling down and going all in on DHop also. 

Exactly.  A team starved for a Superbowl can get an elite QB on the cheap and open a 2-3 year window but would rather go with Jimmy G to be mediocre longer term and keep a late first rounder to maybe hit on an inconsequential position player who won't move the needle.

Maybe the next Maholmes will drop to us in the next 4-5 years and we can draft him with the 14th pick because that's probably where we'll be with Jimmy 8 games. 

12 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Exactly.  A team starved for a Superbowl can get an elite QB on the cheap and open a 2-3 year window but would rather go with Jimmy G to be mediocre longer term and keep a late first rounder to maybe hit on an inconsequential position player who won't move the needle.

Maybe the next Maholmes will drop to us in the next 4-5 years and we can draft him with the 14th pick because that's probably where we'll be with Jimmy 8 games. 

You guys are in similar situation to the Packers over Rodgers career except on the opposite end. Fans would pound the table to make a win now move to take advantage of Rodgers prime and we maintained status quo of being happy to make the playoffs instead of going all in for a Super Bowl. Now we haven't won a Super Bowl in over a decade and now will have to go through a rebuild. When you have a chance to add a piece that makes you a Super Bowl contender(if not favorites), you do it and let the rest of the dominos fall in place.